866-ZZOUNDS (866-996-8637)
When you call, mention priority code 1ZY-D3J2

Rating and Reviews: D'Angelico EXL-1

The EXL-1's laminated flame maple back and sides create a rich, resonant tone that sounds incredible through the single Kent Armstrong mini-humbucker pickup.

"Excellent Excel" submitted January 1, 2016

By Ed Barrett in New Orleans, LA
Musical Background: Professional Full Time Jazz Guitarist
Music Style: Traditional,Straight Ahead, Bop and Soul Jazz Guitarist, double on Banjo. Also play R&B, Funk and Reggae.
Overall: I am very pleased with my new EXL1. I have been playing straight ahead jazz guitar for twenty years, I own a Heritage H575 custom and a Gibson 137, this Excel is just as well made and finished. The Excel has the traditional acoustic jazz guitar tone down pat. It sounds great and projects very well. It is loud enough acoustically to cover the four to the bar Rhythm style of Swing era jazz ala Freddie Green in a combo situation. Not as loud acoustically as a Macafarri/Gitane style gypsy jazz guitar. The electric tone is sublime. Johnny Smith, George Vann Epps type tones spring forth effortlessly. This is a fine, fine working pro level jazz guitar. The case it came with is very well made and adds a lot of value to the overall purchase. I highly recommend this guitar to anyone in search of a beautiful, affordable arch top guitar.

"Excellence" submitted February 16, 2016

By Edwin Craft in Neosho, MO
Musical Background: 50+ years
Music Style: Everything but Hip Hop, Electronic, chillwave, balinese ,reggaeton and other noise.
Overall: I really really love this particular guitar. As a matter of fact, it has become my favorite after playing for more than fifty years. Owning over 14 guitars currently, that is saying something. The EXL-1 is not only beautiful to look at, but it is a guitarist's dream. I have a Gretsch Country Gentleman 1959 model which I bought from zZounds not long ago which I dreamed of owning for years but I have to admit, this guitar is my favorite. Trust me when I say if you have what it takes to be great this guitar will take you there and stay with you. You won't sell it.

"Great Value" submitted January 20, 2014

By Michael P in Georgetown, OH
Overall
Musical Background: Playing 30 years, guitar,banjo,fiddle. Play out some and at home a lot. Recorded.
Music Style: Fingerstyle, Folk, Delta Blues,Bluegrass, Southern Rock
Overall: I have many guitars from Martin to Gibson to Gretsch and this is in their category, considering the money difference. It has a great neck and is easy to play. This is a true old style F hole archtop. The pickup is mild, but adequate with a good amp and gives a nice woody tone. Workmanship is excellent.

"D'Angelico EXL-1 Archtop Hollowbody" submitted January 28, 2015

By Ron S in Federal Way, WA
Musical Background: Retired drummer, now a guitarist only
Music Style: Folk, Rock, R&B, and most recently....Jazz
Overall: I got this jazz box on someone's return for $980.00, what an incredible guitar for under a thousand! I think it was returned because the case it came in was not glued down to well on the top. (who cares....it works) I had to lower the bridge and change the strings, viola! A beautiful guitar that sounds as good as a much more expensive axe....I love it! Very light for it's size, it may be the best deal I ever got on a guitar, and I've been playing for 40 years!
10 of 11 people (90.91%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great guitar" submitted August 12, 2013

By Ron Rennells in Lomita, CA
Overall
Musical Background: I'm a guitarist that's been playing professionally for over 45 years
Music Style: Jazz primarily, although I've played just about every style somewhere along the line.
Overall: This is an exceptional guitar, especially for the price. The floating pickup sounds so good and the guitar play beautifully. If you can get your hands on one these... buy it.
26 of 29 people (89.66%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great Guitar! Great Durability and Craftsmanship!!" submitted June 29, 2016

By Antonio B in Miami, FL
Musical Background: Jazz
Music Style: Bebop - Jazz - Blues
Overall: Great Guitar overall! Whether you're looking for an archtop that can cut in with Big Bands or just looking for a respectable Axe to gig with this is definitely the one to go for!!!

"D`Angelico EXL-1" submitted December 1, 2014

By Michael Barr in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Musical Background: 30 years playing professional guitar and keyboards
Music Style: Smooth Jazz , Gospel , R&B country top 40`s what ever the gig calls for
Overall: This is another great guitar I just received mine, it was wrap so carefully and well shipped plus my great friends zZounds surprised me, by sending it a day early. This guitar is high quality, strings is set right, plus its my choice of string. For all jazz guitarist its a must feels and sounds great and its so darn beautiful I just stared at it for a long time. Its my jazz concert guitar, it will be picture on my new CD release first of the year. Thanks zZounds

"Sweetheart...nice" submitted March 28, 2014

By Gregory Grim in Minneapolis, MN
Musical Background: Home guitarist mainly. Play a little publicly
Music Style: Blues-eeee, Jazz-ee, a little rock style. Write my own material mainly. It's a lot cheaper than a psychiatrist.
Overall: Beautiful guitar! It took 5 days to get here, but it finally arrived. After I added new strings and set it up, it turned out very N-I-C-E! Beyond my expectations. I don't give out compliments easily. But this time I feel compelled to. The p/u doesn't slide, for those who thought it would/might including myself. The only drawback, however. Very nice action and beautiful tone. The ad makes it look a little lighter weight than it really is. In real life appearance I thought it might sound a little thudddy, before I played it. But, NO! Very sweet mellow tone-if you like the jazzy sound. I'd encourage anyone who might appreciate that type of sound to go for it. You won't be sorry! PS-Nice H/S case, too.

"BLUE D'Angelico EXL-1 Archtop" submitted March 2, 2016

By Don Schott in Cincinnati, OH
Overall
Musical Background: Over 50 years ... Guitars basses and other strings and keys,
Music Style: Today I am promoting THE PERSISTENCE OF SURF MUSIC (it's kinda like jazz and rock but not fusion)
Overall: I drooled over having one of these for quite some time. It came , it was beautiful to behold. Handled well, played nice and then I plugged it in ....NOTHING . ZZ had no more in stock and I sent it to D'Angelico for repair. They were very nice and said they had found the culprit and returned it to me. I had to turn my amp up to ten to get any sound from it at all and it was ugly. ZZ was nice, I returned the instrument to them ...lets hope that products are checked before they are sent out. This was not supposed to be a POS at $1300. I cannot answer the "hoops" below. Some things are better left unsaid. We tried. oh, this feedback forum forces one to submit a "value" ... Sorry guys.

"A great jazz box for the money" submitted February 21, 2015

By Bill von Zangenberg in Holiday, FL
Musical Background: Currently play professionally
Music Style: I play jazz, rock, blues and country but have an eclectic taste in music so I need versatile guitars. This is my main jazz box a
Overall: The EXL-1 is a fine jazz box that won't break the bank! I currently own many jazz guitars ranging from a Gibson L5, ES 175, ES335 and a 1949 Gibson L48. This has become my favorite of the bunch. It plays beautifully, feels wonderful in your hands and is responsive plugged in or not. With my Fender Twin Reverb this guitar gives you that real jazz tone we all love. The neck has a great feel and is comfortable to play for hours on end. The craftsman ship is superb and I'm sure John D'Angelico would approve for sure. When I get this one paid off I'm planning on buying another model as well to round off the arsenal. If you're looking for a moderately prices jazz box that will last for years of great playing then this is your baby!

"Great Jazz Box" submitted March 9, 2015

By William v in Holiday, FL
Musical Background: Currently play professionally
Music Style: Jazz, Country, Blues, 60's rock and classical
Overall: This guitar is the ultimate jazz guitar to own. I own many jazz guitars including a Gibson L5. This guitar sounds as good as my L5 no exaggeration. It is fun to play, neck is great and comfortable, body is just right. If you want sounds like Wes and Joe Pass this is the one to get. You won't find a better deal at this price or any price for that matter. Buy it! Thank you zZounds for your easy payment plan which made this purchase possible. Also great service from you guys as always. I'll be back for sure!

866-zZounds (866-996-8637)
When you call, mention priority code 1ZY-D3J2. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976

Seen it for less somewhere else? Get it for less at zZounds. Simply click the “Seen it for less?” link on any product page and as long as we‘re not losing money, we‘ll beat any legitimate competitor‘s lowest price, usually within two hours. Want our best price even faster? Call us at 866-zZounds (866-996-8637), and we‘ll provide you with a lower price on the phone. Also, if you purchase from us and later find the product for less elsewhere, call or email us within 45 days, and we‘ll refund you the difference.

Buy it, try it, like it, or return it to us for a full refund. It‘s just that simple. If you‘re not in love with what you bought, return it to zZounds within 45 days, and we‘ll promptly arrange for an exchange or a refund. No hassles. No hidden charges. And if a product‘s defective or damaged, call us at 866-zZounds (866-996-8637), and we‘ll email you a prepaid shipping label so you can easily return it to us at zero cost to you.

Simply click the Seen it for less? link next to the gear you want or call us at 866-zZounds (866-996-8637)