When you call, mention priority code 155K-7XQ8

Rating and Reviews: Cerwin-Vega AB-36C Sub

Add supersonic low-end thrust with the Cerwin-Vega AB36C Afterburner subwoofer. This passive sub features 6.5 feet of folded horn for full, pounding bass.

"Cerwin Vega AB-36C Afterburner Subwoofer" submitted October 29, 2012

By Shane M in San Antonio, TX
Musical Background: Mobile Dj with over 25 years in business
Music Style: Mobile DJ so play all genre
Sound: I have 2 of these running off a Crown XLS 2500. I was a little dissapointed when I first set these up as the bass just wasn't there. I'm also running these thru a DBX Driverack PA+, and that's were the problem was. The PA+ has the configruation for my CV 1152's, but not the AB-36C. It has them for the Earthquake and Jr Earthquake. (might have to do a firmware update to see it a newer firmware has the configs for the AB-36C) It had a generic Cerwin Vega 18" sub config and that's the one i tried, but my PC speakers were putting out harder bass then these were. So playing around with the PA+ configs, I chose a generic preset config for the subs (forgot to lower my gains as I had them way up trying to find the bass initially) and as soon as I confirmed that setting, my heart missed a beat as the bass hit. Now I'm very much impressed with the bass output. Prior to getting these, my friend stated I should've stuck with my dual 18" JBL box instead of getting these AB-36C's as per him (and me at one time) JBL is much better in the bass department than old folded horn cerwin vega technology could ever be. Called him over, put in my USAC Bass competition CD, hit play, and BOOM, hit every note clearly and solidly with thunderous bass, now my JBL's hit hard too, but didn't hit all the low freqs as effective or as hard as these did. He's changed his opinion about CV folded horns now as any of you JBL lovers (I am one too) will too if you give them a chance. Feature: The new improved handles and wheels (you manual have to screw the wheels into pre-drilled holes) make moving them around by yourself very easy now. It's just lifting these beasts off the ground to load them up that' still the problem. Super heavy, can be done solo, but alot easier with another helper. Now, the very bad news and the part that disappointed me the most about these AB-36C's. These are "carpeted" (and i use the term "carpeted" very loosely as it's just a step above spray on felt than it is carpet) CV would've been better off spraying these with rugged paint like they did with the CV 1152's (very sexy speakers by the way and sound awesome with these subs) or for the price of these, should've used a heavy duty speaker carpeting. I have older Peavey mains and JBL subs I've used for many years now indoor/outdoor that are carpeted and they've held up quite well with no wear/tear minus replacing the rubber feet/corners from time to time, but their carpet is still thick, solid, and intact. Can't say the same for these AB-36C's after just unpacking them as you can read below under "Quality" Ease of Use: Pretty simple setup. You have a choice of speakon or 1/4" connections, and can be daisy chained if needed if you don't have a big enough amp to run more than 1 without bridging your amp. Word of caution, CV states you can daisy chain up to 3 of these, doubling your ohm and wattage needs with each addition, so know how much your amps can handle prior to doing so. I'm running 2 of these off 1 Crown XLS 2500 and it has more than enough to drive these hard and loud. Another word of caution on the Crown XLS amps...you can bridge it, but only to drive one speaker, it clearly states do not daisy chain when you configure for bridging. Since they have a carpeting issue, you have to be very gentle and delicate with their handling, that's the only negative about them. Quality: Sadly, here'e where I have to ding CV on these awesome sounding AB-36C's with a big foul. It's truely sad that they put so much time and research into making these subs sound so good, but then turn around and skimp on the finish of these subs. The so-called "carpeted" cabinets isn't much more than a step above spray on felt that is wafer thin. Upon removal of the first sub from its box, I noticed on the bottom of the sub where the "carpeting" rolls over the edge into the inside of the cabinet, a good 6-8 inch section of it was already lifted off the cabinet and no longer attached (I guess I have to go buy some spray adhesive to reattach it to the cabinet as I am not about to try and send it back due to the size and weight of it) and upon removal of the second sub from its box, it rubbed up against the cardboard box as I was lifting it out and now there's about a 2 inch section on the top/side edge that no longer is "carpeted", so I guess I'll just go to a hobby shop and buy some black felt and try to blend it in so it's not so obvious, again, due to size and weight, not about to send it back. Now, I'm a mobile DJ, so I can see this is going to be a regular issue with these subs due to the inferior "carpeting" they applied to the cabinets. At this point, I'm afraid if I stare (they are sexy) at them too long, the "carpeting" will fall off. I went all CV for mains/subs for higher end gigs and will be using my Peavey mains and JBL subs for day to day gigs. But due to this issue with the inferior "carpet" being applied to their cabinets, I can see them looking horrendous after a few more gigs from loading/unloading as the "carpet" continues to wear-off from anything touching it. I guess I'll have to look around and see if I can find an authorized CV vendor who can apply a better quality carpet or spray them with a rugged paint to keep them looking as good as they sound. CV would've been better off using the same cabinet finish as their CVP1152's (own those too) Value: if based on sound alone, yes....worth every penny spent on them, but overall, due to inferior carpeting issue and how much it will cost to get them redone, not so much. Now if you use "kid gloves", very gently upack them so the "carpet" doesn't come into contact with anything, and very delicately place them in a fixed spot never to be moved and/or touched again, then that may make them a good value for the price, but let's face it, they will be moved around, touched, stuff placed on them, etc. so be ready to have them refinished if appearance means anything to you. Manufacturer Support: I haven't contacted the manufactur yet about the quality of their carpet issue, but may call them to see if they will cover the cost of refinishing the cabinets. Wish me luck as I think they'll just laugh or hang up on me as soon as I ask that question. Can't rate the manufactorer yet until after I call them about this issue. The Wow Factor: These Cerwin Vega AB-36C hit hard. Solid sounding thunderous bass even at their lowest frequency. Don't stand too close as the bass hits rediculously hard, not only could you suffer hearing loss, the boom they produce can cave your chest in and stop your heart taking your breath away. Before you chime in, I'm a JBL user/lover and just 1 of these hit harder and sound better than my dual 18 JBL cabinet, let alone running 2 of these AB-36C's in my setup now....crazy bass!!! If the carpeting wasn't an issue and appearance is just important to me as sound as a mobile dj, they're be nothing negative about these! Overall: Great sounding solid hard hitting bass even at their lowest frequency, but inferior "carpeting" (more like spray on felt) choice by CV is an appearance issue in my case as you read below. Due to this factor alone is the only reason I can't rate these as solid 5's across the board as appearance is just as big a factor as sound as a mobile dj and since I haven't contacted the manufacturer yet about that issue, I can't rate them properly yet.
12 of 14 people (85.71%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"My Experience" submitted September 29, 2013

By Permaul R in Riverview, FL
Overall
Musical Background: I love music and have enjoyed playing for over 15 years now, just at home.
Music Style: Electronic, Reggaeton etc.
Overall: This system is awesome, it plays really well, the sound is outstanding, however there are few defects that I found just after a few days of purchase and delivery, the carpet started to get loose on the edges and bubbles are on the flat sides maybe because of poor workmanship, the carpet was not clued properly. I purchased two of these cabinets for my home use. Base on the value of the product, I think it is a little bit too over price, all in all Cerwin Vega makes a very good sound system.

"Big" submitted April 27, 2012

Overall
Sound: Great sound, very deep, loud, and smooth, once all tuning is taking care of that is. Would consider buying a different, more powerful driver for the cabinet though... Feature: Great dual speakon connections for daisychaining. Comes with wheels that screw in and make transport a breeze. Ease of Use: Very simple. Not much else to say. Quality: The first one I opened and put together; GREAT! Amazing quality and sexy all around. The second one however, there was a manufacturer defect on the bottom where one of the "feet" screw in. The pilot hole seemed to be clogged by some sort of metal or wood? Couldn't screw in the last of the four feet, leaving the sub wobly... VERY annoyed at the quality check. Not looking forward to sending this massive thing back to cerwin vega... Value: For the size, sound, and quality, this is an amazing product for the price. definitely worth picking up! Your crowd will love you for it! Manufacturer Support: Mediocre. Called for help on amplifiers and the subwoofer problem, didn't get any input at all. They said they'd call me back in a minute with professional help... An hour later; no reply still. The Wow Factor: The size and visual appeal. Overall: This are large, deep, sexy pieces of equipment.

"Why post a review like this(using a crown xls2500 on to drive 2 vega afterburners)" submitted April 4, 2013

By Frank Donofrio in Phila, PA
Musical Background: Dj
Music Style: All varieties
Overall: Just responding to the above review. I use 2 earthquakes with 2 ev 2.0 amps in bridged mono for high school dances and this combination shakes the building. Using a crown xls 2500 is like using a vw engine to pull an 18 wheeler.

When you call, mention priority code 155K-7XQ8. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976