When you call, mention priority code 20N-XJHB

Rating and Reviews: Casio Privia Pro PX-5S

Take the stage with this Privia. Loaded with pianos and vintage EPs, 88 hammer-action keys, 4 control knobs and 6 sliders, the Casio PX-5S is ready to rock.

"Casio PX5s" submitted May 27, 2014

By B H
Musical Background: Lifetime pro
Music Style: Whatever the gig requires
Overall: Lightweight keyboard with fantastic weighted action, that was enough but there's so much more! Lovely piano with undetectable samples and smooth dynamic response, everything you need as a controller too, very satisfied with this purchase!!!

"Greatly underestimated and underpromoted keyboard! Great for Studio Use!" submitted July 1, 2015

By Jim R in florence, SC
Overall
Musical Background: lifelong home studio guru
Music Style: hip hop, pop, funk.....yeah funk
Sound: Casio has always been a great designer of sound engines - What they've given here is incredible sound PLUS the ability to model your own sounds with great flexibility. I've been around keyboards and studio equipment for thirty years and I am still in awe when play synth chords from this keyboard that reverberate my soul....Piano, organ, love the clavs with the pedal action for the clav/wah sounds....synths are amazing and so customizable...these are my favorite - love the kick drum sounds as well.....very deep with the quality of hip hop/mpc flavor. This keyboard comes with presets that have been tweaked and tweaked until they are their most presentable and usable (as evidenced by Casios Mike Martin via Youtube and his continuing sound uploads).....They aren't the presets you "delete right away because youre a purist sound modeling expert". Feature: The most useful feature to me is the ease of finding the sound I want without touching the next button 439 times as is often the case when given an overwhelming amount of options (producers who have hundreds of thousands of samples to look through/choose from can appreciate this as well as those who just want to pick out the "right" sound)......The PX5S gives you the option to select tones that are compatible with the type instrument you want as well as the 100 stage settings that may comprise several different sounds. I have noticed some people being dismayed for the lack of a sheet music stand or holder - If this was a requirement for me and I didn't buy this keyboard for that reason It would be one of my biggest nonpurchase failures.....buy a stand - get creative - do something else but don't let it be the reason you don't buy this keyboard. Ease of Use: The presets already give you a great place to begin. Sounds can be tailored easily to your liking and needs. Ease of use with other products: the connectivity options make compatibility a no brainer - The only thing I bought extra was an apple camera connectivity kit to connect my ipad to the keyboard so I could select stage setting via the app "set list maker" as seen in some Casio PX5S review videos via youtube. Learning curve - The Casio manual is basic, but is designed to acquaint you with control/selection operations. Then their is the Casio tutorial manual - a deeper look into what the keyboard is capable of and how to do it. Both are to the point but neither gets you where you feel you've passed the learning curve. You must - in my opinion be prepared to jump into the youtube tutorials (specifically Mike Martins Clinic #1 and Clinic #2) in order to feel you can now see the light.... - learn that there are settings not only for each "tone" but for each stage setting that may comprise several tones - examples would be compression, eq, filters, pitch variations, etc..... Quality: The product is made exceptionally well - I wasn't sure how id like the key "feel" after reviews often talked about them being different than synth or other keyboards but I found it was because these keys feel "real" with the way they're designed/made versus the plastic crap we find ourselves accustomed to. I like them very much and they add to the "make me want to touch it" criteria. I don't like the knob design as there isn't a visual indicator from my vantage point of playing to indicate where the knob is adjusted.......I did however add small Swarovski crystals to the center indicator of each knob to give me a visual reference. The crystals are very small but refract the smallest amount of light so I can always glance and see where theyre adjusted. Value: I could see this keyboard doubled or tripled in price easily. A Steal..... I didn't think id every drop this much cash on a Casio but like many people I was blinded by the glitz and glimmer of the lit pads and other nonsense on much lesser abled keyboards. Casio is underrated and underpromoted in my opinion. Genres that rely on midi keyboards with pads, etc need to look at this keyboard instead (hiphop, pop, r&b, funk) Manufacturer Support: I have not had a reason to deal with the company but would consider the support via Casios Mike Martin on youtube to be an industry best as far as manufacturer support goes for teaching their product. You cant have this keyboard and not watch his "how to" videos on youtube. The Wow Factor: Knowing what it does is the wow factor. However - it isn't as sexy as other keyboards. the white and blue seems a throwback to early small casio days. Ive seen several that were "customized" and in my opinion its a great canvas for that. Best that Casio spent its resources on sound and possibilities than trying to appeal to the "all show no go" crowd. Overall: My buying criteria: 1 - midi compatible for home studio use 2 - 88 key - preferably hammered keybed 3 - professional level sound engine and sound modeling ability 4 - Dual purpose keyboard - one I could sit down and flesh out ideas or play - and one that was the main keyboard for my DAW (Ableton Live 9 Suite) 5 - SUPPORT!!!!! - ie - video tutorials - something to ease the learning curve 6 - I had to know I was the owner of a bad ass keyboard - had to feel it every day when I woke and looked at it.....I wanted it to make me want to touch it..... This keyboard compliments my: Home studio which is comprised of Ableton Live 9 Suite and Ableton Push midi controller. I previously have owned and am experienced with: 1: full size upright piano 2: Akai mpk 61 3: Casio wk 210 4: Yamaha keyboard 5: various midi controllers/pads/interfaces There are 2 things I do: 1. Sit down whenever I feel like it, turn on the PX5S and just jam, flesh out ideas that will go to the DAW later (which I can record to jumpdrive as im jamming) or just experiment with the vast amount of possiblites in sound design/modeling..... 2. Turn on my Digital Audio Workstation (Ableton Live) and, with my keyboard connected via USB, create tracks with any virtual instruments I have access to via my computer - as well as loading the WAV files I recorded from my actual keyboard jam sessions - I will probably never use this keyboard as a "stage keyboard" as I don't actively play in a band or entertain. I create and produce within the confines of my home studio. for this - the Casio PX5S has been incredible. Its Data Editor that can be downloaded for free opens on your windows or mac computer and with the opening of it you can see each parameter on the keyboard and its possible settings.....new sounds can be downloaded from a very solid user group online and easily loaded to your keyboard via this editor (by use of usb cable from keyboard to computer) or via your jump drive that can move information to and from the keyboard. The possibilities are endless with this keyboard that has no competition in the below 2-3K price range.

"Great model, especially for the price!" submitted January 26, 2015

By Greg V in Melbourne, FL
Overall
Musical Background: Playing 45 years - piano, other keyboards, guitar, bass, percussion. Full time professional.
Music Style: Pop, rock, classical, R&B, country, and lots of COMEDY.
Overall: This is a wonderful digital piano - touch wise, sound wise, appearance-wise, pretty much everything. I use it as my main keyboard onstage and also record with it because the sounds are very clean. It replaced a much heavier Roland keyboard that couldn't put up with the Florida humidity - hopefully this one will do better!! Only things I critique are the layering, splitting, and transposing functions because they are not as quickly accessed, which can be tricky onstage if you need them. That design should have followed other manufacturers. Overall, though, a great keyboard.

"I really like it." submitted October 3, 2014

Overall
Overall: I have to admit imho the sounds of this keyboard are still a little shy of the quality of some of the others that have dominated the professional scene for many years, but Casio has come light years beyond what they used to sound like and I have no qualms whatsoever about using it along side of them or by itself. It may be that if I take the time to really learn how to modify the sounds to my liking it would be every bit as satisfying, but I tend to use stock sounds out the box and usually trade up to something else before I ever do so. To me, where this keyboard excels the most is the price/performance ratio and the form factor. For under a $1000 you get a really good feeling weighted 88 note and great sounding keyboard that weighs 25 pounds and fits sideways in probably all but the tiniest of cars. To me that trumps the minor perceived increase in quality of sounds. If the next one they put out is as much of an improvement as there was between the PX3 (which I almost bought) and this, forget everybody else's products. Btw, these are a steal on auction sites and used if you can find them and if you have the cash, but if not, you can't beat zZound's payment plans. :D

"Great deal for a beginner like myself!!" submitted May 13, 2015

By westerly p in ELLISTON, VA
Overall
Musical Background: Plying guitar since 1984ish. Jam at home and occasionally play out in clubs.
Music Style: Everything pretty much.
Overall: I'm a 30 year guitar player but pretty much no piano experience. I bought this piano to learn on. I have dabbled with pianos on and off and to start, the keys feel amazing. I have had really good piano player friends say the same thing. I've messed with some of the extras but honestly I wouldn't really know how well they work until I get some ivory tickling time under my belt. I gave features less than 5 based on my lack of knowledge about electronic pianos in general. I gave quality less than 5 because, while the keys feel amazing and it sounds great, it does not feel like it could take much of a beating. I'm guessing they had to compromise on build quality to make the keys and other features more affordable. Don't beat it up is all I can say ;) Also I havent had to contact Casio so I gave it 5 because I didn't want to give it 1 and it won't let me NOT choose. Overall, after having it a few weeks, I am more than happy with the purchase and of course, zZounds payment plans are great!

"Nice, But!" submitted July 23, 2015

By Bill Solomon in Verona, PA
Musical Background: Professional
Music Style: Rock, country, blues and so on!
Overall: You know this an awesome keyboard. It does so many things. But there are just too many button pushing so to get things done. There isn't any quick way to get to anything. So if you are going to use this keyboard as a multi sound instrument. You won't be making quick changes of sounds! The keyboard bed and act are awesome. Definitely a great piano act! Sounds on board are good the pianos are great.

When you call, mention priority code 20N-XJHB. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976
Shop with those who respect your privacy — we do. Copyright © 1996-2015, zZounds Music, LLC. Terms of use apply.