When you call, mention priority code 1409-BYGV

Rating and Reviews: Boss DS-1 Distortion

Add some weight to your sound with this pedal, which delivers a smooth distortion. You can get everything from '60s fuzz to heavy metal distortion.

"A Distortion Dream" submitted January 10, 2011

Music Style: rock, blues, etc
Sound: I use this with a zoom g2 and a bugera 1960 head. i can get plenty of distortion with this unit. I crank the distortion to near full back off the tone a little past half way and put level at half way. I gig a lot and every musician I've talked to has told me they love the sound I get from that set up. Sustain is unbelievable. Feature: basic pedal easy to operate solid metal chassis Ease of Use: set the three knobs where you want it and let it rip. This unit will make a bad amp sound great. Quality: I've be around the block with pedals. Multi-effects units leave the distortion empty and very digital sounding. If you are looking for a great distortion don't let this pass you by. Value: Here's the best part. I'm a part time musician. When I do play I don't make thousands more like hundreds. that being said 40 for a boss pedal that kick this much A$$ is outrageous. They should lock someone up for that. Manufacturer Support: I've never dealt with them before. The Wow Factor: most of the musicians can't believe the sound i'm getting from this thing. I have people asking me about the pedal and the amp. Overall: This is great, i'd buy another one without a thought. Looking at the overdrive pedal as the next pedal. well done.

"best distortion pedal for anyone" submitted January 10, 2007

Musical Background: good at guitar
Music Style: van halen
Sound: This was the first pedal i ever got and i am not going to ever throw it out. you can get any sound you want from the beatles to metallica Feature: doesn't have any fancy knobs or anything, just distortion. its built like a tank too. Ease of Use: only 3 knobs. how hard is that? Quality: built like a tank. if you throw it out the window it won't break Value: for 30 bucks you cant get a better distortion bedal Manufacturer Support: never needed it The Wow Factor: i only got it because i had no idea about what amps and pedals were good (i just started playing). now that im good at guitar i realize how great it is Overall: this pedal, along with a good lead channel from an amp, can get any sound you want. this is the first pedal i ever got and its not going to leave my pedalboard. for 30 bucks you should get it anyway, whithout trying it out.
13 of 14 people (92.86%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Distort your mind now!" submitted January 9, 2007

Overall
Sound: Damn! Sounds better than a chainsaw! Feature: Not a lot to play around with. Ease of Use: Thumbs up for the manual. However, the controls are so simple you don't need a manual. Quality: It's a beauty inside and out. Value: I've tried a few pedals in it's price range and nothing comes even close. Manufacturer Support: No problems so far but I asked about it in the shop and they said it's covered. The Wow Factor: When I saw it I was like a girl looking at a pair of designer shoes - I had to have it. Overall: It's so good that if I ever go looking for a new pedal it will be BOSS again.
12 of 13 people (92.31%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Really Awesome Pedal; Sound & Solid!" submitted October 11, 2011

Musical Background: Weekend Gigs/Home Studio Star
Music Style: Old School Rock, Funk, and Punk.
Sound: The Distortion Pedal. Played for 20 years, rock, funk, punk, and metal. Does it all. Feature: Three knobs; a Gazillion sounds. Metal box, like Boss does. Orange; easy to see on a dark stage. My first one lasted over 15 years. Ease of Use: Intuitive is an understatement. Quality: My original DS-1 was top notch. The 2nd seems no different. Time will tell, I'm sure. Value: Had about 10 distortion/fuzz pedals. DS-1 always ends up in my signal chain. Awesome value. The Wow Factor: Stunning. Serious design genius.

"The full review on a marvelous pedal." submitted June 4, 2003

By I dont want any awards
Overall
Music Style: Alternative; System of a down kind of stuff and Ac Dc stuff also I like to mix it up
Sound: This is a great solid, cheap, first-time pedal. I first heard it on a Peavey Blazer 158, and the sound was perfect! The dist. on it is great. It sounds the best on any peavey amp, but others, I would rate it a 6. Also, it is great for palm-muting. Feature: Not great, but provides a great range of Dist. Quality: "Very reliable and hard" is what you think of it after you have stepped on it thousands of times and nothing falls apart. It is also very easy to change backup batteries. Value: It is totally worth its price because it is only 50 bucks with the power cable and its great sound Manufacturer Support: I dont know about support of Boss because I didnt need any help with the pedal! All i know is that they make the very best of the best in Quality, and great sounding and looking pedals. The Wow Factor: it does look kind of cool in a way doesnt it? Overall: I love it and there is nothing acceptionaly bad about it. I thingk it will last with me throughout my guitar career.

"this is the top distortion there is." submitted June 9, 2004

Music Style: hard rock mettle
Sound: i love this distortion pedel is has great sounds for all my songs it realy makes my song sound better than it was. Quality: i think this product is made great. Value: i think the price is great but i think u can make it more price Manufacturer Support: the people i bought it from they were helpfull and friendly Overall: i think ill keep this distortion pedel for 1 year than get a better one when im better.

"Every Guitarist needs this pedal, from beginner to expert." submitted February 5, 2008

Musical Background: Session Musician
Music Style: Everything!
Sound: This is one pedal every guitarist needs in their arsenal. I prefer the sound to this over any product, other then the fulltone mosfet but thats almost £170 more exspensive! Feature: go from blues t metal just by changing the pickup selector!! Ease of Use: 3 knobs. all that needs to be said Quality: had it over 4 years now and its never let me down Value: Like i said i would pay over £200 for this bad boy ad i picked it up for £30! Manufacturer Support: never had to use it! The Wow Factor: its orange... Overall: there is a definate reason why steve vai and joe satriani use this. its amazing.

"This unit kicks ass! Nevermind the negative reviews left by inexperienced users!" submitted April 28, 2005

Overall
Sound: I've compared the DS-1 to just about every pedal since the early '80s and the DS-1 produces less noise and more bite for the money. I dont need all the EQ parameters of other distortion pedals that have hit the market over the years since I primarly use it with a Roland MC-202 MicroComposer for some badass acid lines. The tone knob is all I need, since any further EQ adjustments can be made from my mixer. As for playing guitar, I would naturally add a Boss EQ pedal at the beginning of the effects chain to gain all the characteristics most of these inexperienced kids seem to whine about. :p Feature: No accessories were included. All the features I need are there. I dont need any more or less, considering the price of the unit. If this pedal wasnt so good, it wouldnt be around after 27 years. It truly stands the test of time, being the most popular distortion pedal of all time. Quality: This unit (as well as all Boss pedals) is built like a tank! I've owned many other bands and Boss just cant be beat for their reliable quality construction that will last a lifetime when taken care of properly. Value: Worth every last penny! Definitely more bang for the buck! Manufacturer Support: I never had any problems with the DS-1 or any other Boss pedal for that matter, but I've ordered parts for other used Roland gear and had no problem with those orders. The Wow Factor: I definitely dig the orange color and the old style knobs that have remained the same since it first hit the market. The practicality is a must and I still get an erection just looking at it. ;) Overall: The DS-1 will always keep me satisfied. I wouldnt replace it, but I'd definitely supplement it with more effects units. This unit entirely meets my musical goals. If it were lost or stolen (which I highly doubt) I'd replace it with the same exact unit. What I like most about it is the fact that it gives me plenty of distortion with minimal noise. Theres conflicting stories that the early Japanese made units are better than the current units made in Taiwan, so I'll have to pick up a vintage DS-1 and compare for myself.
20 of 23 people (86.96%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great classic distortion sounds at a great price. Many options available to make this classic pedal even better." submitted January 30, 2011

Musical Background: 20+ years hobbyist
Music Style: 80's metal, hard rock
Sound: Great classic distortion while letting the natural tone of your guitar shine through. Good harmonic overtones on solo passages. I have 1 stock and 1 Keeley Self-Modded which I really love. Great tone for a great price. Many modding options available for this pedal. Feature: Basic controls. True bypass would be nice. There is a mod for that also. Ease of Use: Very easy to get a good sound. Quality: Good quality. Sturdy metal case can withstand lots of abuse. 5 year factory warranty if you don't take it a part. Value: Affordable... Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: Practical go to pedal for distortion. Overall: I got it for the explicit purpose of modifying it.

"Best distortion box" submitted July 6, 2008

Musical Background: Hobbyist, active musician
Music Style: rock, alternative
Sound: it does what it is supposed to. its a great little distortion box. [10] Feature: great loud distortion. [10] Ease of Use: just three simple knobs really easy of use [10] Quality: its a boss so ... you get the idea its built like a tank. [10] Value: such a great pedal but i never thaught it would bo so cheap! [10] Manufacturer Support: never had to deal with them [10] The Wow Factor: the bright orange isnt hard to miss plus i think its the best distortion box [10] Overall: i dont think this item will break but if it does ill surely by another [10]

"AWESOME PEDAL" submitted January 11, 2008

By a customer from Gmail.com
Overall
Musical Background: Occaisionly recording for fun, Played guitar every day since i was 10 (I'm 13) No lessons :)
Music Style: Metal
Sound: When you have the distortion up to full you better have a noise suppressor, because at max level and distortion it sounds like crap. It is a distortion pedal so don't expect anything special out of it, It provides a nice distortion though. Feature: 3 Knobs... Tone, Level, and Distortion... Tone changes the tone of it lol... Like at 0 it sounds kinda bluesey and at 12 o clock it sounds good to me. Level would control the actual volume that the guitar has when the pedal is activated (sometimes i find that when i kick the distortion pedal in it gets really loud so this knob helps) And finally distortion wich controls the level of distortion. When this is at 0 it is still a bit distorted... So don't expect to just be able to use it for tone. Ease of Use: Just turn the knobs until you find a nice sound it's pretty simple... Quality: Very nice, I don't think i've had any problems with it, easy to get batteries into if you use batteries (i use power supply with a splitter personally) Value: Worth the money. The Wow Factor: Very nice looking, personally I think boss pedals look the best next to Ibanez. It's a VERY nice looking orange. And I bought it with a pedal case that fits 3 boss pedals so I have it between a baby blue Chorus Ensemble and a White tuner pedal. It doesn't look half bad surprisingly... Overall: A while, I might mod it in the future, but I think this is going to be with me for a LONG time... Unless I get a good multi-effects pedal, in which case I think I'll keep this for live shows etc as it's small and the box is easy as anything to carry around.

"good pedal , great for price, easy to use like all boss pedals" submitted November 20, 2008

Musical Background: honnyist
Music Style: classci rock, metal, heavy rock
Sound: great for all types of sounds. fuzz metal, smooth overdrive. Its all here. Feature: it should come with adapter Ease of Use: very easy to use 3 knobs tone, level, distortion, i dint take me long to find my favorting setting, easy to use Quality: its a tank . It will last 50 years. I dropp it all the time. It will never break Value: best vaule out there i like it better than a 70 dollar pedal i have. Manufacturer Support: no The Wow Factor: orange is cool

"Exactly what I wanted" submitted January 12, 2014

Overall
Overall: I bought this for my son. He said this is exactly what he wanted. The tone is great and the pedal is very versatile. I noticed that it is well made and should last him for quite some time. Well worth it's price.

"Bass players take note" submitted November 30, 2009

Overall
Musical Background: engineer, occasional live player, multi-instrumentalist, active
Music Style: musical
Sound: I play my bass through it and it doesn't cut off the lows at all. Feature: It just does what its name implies. No more no less. You want some guts? Step on it. Ease of Use: duh. 3 knobs man. If you can't figure it out go play a clarinet or something. Quality: All boss pedals are hardcore durable. That's their biggest appeal over other manufacturers. This thing has been dropped, stomped on, and still works just fine. Value: One of the best distorters in the world and only 40 bucks? who can say no? Manufacturer Support: Boss guys are really down to earth. I had to talk to them about my micro-br before, not about this no-brainer, but they got right back ahold of me asap and answered my questions. No attitude. The Wow Factor: I just use the one my guitarist had when he switched to a big muff. I want one, but I dont need to buy one. As far as sex appeal... there's nothing sexy like a pimp bottom bass line that can get hard with one stomp. Thats what I like it for. Overall: I'm gonna use it until my guitarist wants it back then I'll just get my own. It works for bass signals, which is very rare for distortion pedals I have worked with, including dedicated bass overdrive by the same company that costs thrice the price.

"the best distorition pedal i have ever owned" submitted March 27, 2005

Overall
Musical Background: hobbyist,and lead guitarist in a band
Music Style: rock and country
Sound: the sound is great u can make it sound like korn and metallica and even slipknot if u want. Feature: the features r good so u can play alot of differnt styles of music on it Quality: the pedal is the best and u can beat it around alot and it will still work.cause i know i have been mad alot and i through it and a big stack of bricks and i threw it down to the cement drivway and i just had to plug it back in and it still worked fine Value: yes it is Manufacturer Support: never had a problem The Wow Factor: nothing to say bout' it Overall: u could do alot of stuff and it will work also alot of differnt singers u can play on it

"Your basic distortion at a great value" submitted August 5, 2008

Music Style: Indie, Grunge, Rock
Sound: This pedal has really basic but cool distortion sounds. I really love it. I try to put my distortion to others though, and with this its kinda hard cuz its pretty basic, but it still has great distortion. Feature: theres really not much to talk about: tone, level, and uhh. i forget the other. ha. but yea, REALLY EASY TO FIGURE OUT. Ease of Use: Reallyyy easy to use and figure out. Quality: pretty good i guess. its like metal, pretty sturdy. I've had it for like two years, and its still perfect. Value: its great. same prices as everywhere. its affordable and sturdy. nothing tooo special though. Manufacturer Support: I LOVE ZZOUNDS. i didnt use them for this, but ive been a long customer of theres, and id much rather give my business to them rather than the long-ruling empire of guitar center. The Wow Factor: its orange. Overall: its your basic distortion pedal. the original really. lots of guys have used this, and i can see why.

"BOSS IS THE BEST!" submitted August 31, 2008

By a customer from YAHOO.COM
Musical Background: ACTIVE MUSICIAN
Music Style: METAL
Sound: the sound quality is awesome!!!!!!!!.......... it does not sound good when it is high on dist & tone.. Feature: some more extra knobs should do the trick...... Ease of Use: there are just 3 knobs so, it`s obvious that it is easy to use!!! Quality: boss is the best. Value: worth ........ Manufacturer Support: the support from the boss is good The Wow Factor: instead of the orange i think black or any dark color would suit it... Overall: ds1 is handy!!!!

"Must Have Distortion Pedal" submitted November 1, 2012

By Mark S
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing music since 1992, I play guitar as my main instrument. I also play bass, a little bit of drums and keyboard/piano.
Music Style: Rock, blues, alternative, new wave, jazz.
Overall: I have 2 of these, one just bought recently just to replace the old one or maybe will try to MOD it has time, but overall, the DS-1 is a must have for starters. I love Boss pedals and I am beginning to collect them so the DS-1 should definitely be in my collection. The sound is pretty much easy to configure depending on what music you are. But this pedal in my opinion should be used for hard rock type of music. Not for blues of jazz. In my settings, as far as the tone knob is concern, I dont usually go beyond 11 o'clock and the gain will around 3 - 5 o'clock. But overall, it is still a great pedal.

"The King of Distortion pedals" submitted June 30, 2012

By John S in London, NA
Overall
Music Style: rock, pop and anything else that makes folk dance.
Overall: I have a Blackstar HT20 & a Mesa Boogie and my main guitars are a PRS custom 24 and an Epiphone Les Paul plus top with gibson 490 & 498 pick ups. Both my amps have great lead high gain channels. This pedal kicks things up a notch and pushes them into 'the zone'. Thats whats the DS-1 is famous for. This pedal was made for driving tube amps hard and getting the most out of them. Theres a reason why the DS-1 has stood the test of time. Anyone who knocks pedal this doesnt know what they're talking about.

"THE BEST" submitted March 28, 2006

Overall
Sound: don't listen to reviewers who say this pedal is crap. there the type who think it all sounds crap unless its ear splittingly loud and irritating. i've had this pedal over a year and it rocks. used properly it can drive your amp to the brink. i don't need another distortion Feature: simple controls yes but it isn't an aeroplane your flying is it. there's enough there to get alot of different tone's. the basic control's work with your guitar, not against it. just look at some of the pro's who have relied on this baby. Ease of Use: walk in the park. ideal for any level of player Quality: you could switch it on and of with a tank and this beauty would still work fine. its solid and built to last. its a boss after all Value: you won't find a pedal of this build and quality at a better price anywhere Manufacturer Support: never needed them but i bet there customer support centre isn't busy The Wow Factor: yeah, thats why i've already got it Overall: i wouldn't trade this pedal for any other. what ever music you play this thing can do it. don't listen to the negative reviewer's, they obviously haven't set there guitars/amps right. this pedal is a rock legend. don't ignore it

"Distortion for you? You've come to the right place." submitted March 1, 2005

Overall
Music Style: rock, hard rock, grunge, punk, alternative
Sound: The sound of this product fits my needs perfectly. It has just the right amount of distortion. The sound isn't too muddy or unclear. The tone this pedal is really good. This pedal is good for playing alomst anything. I play a lot of Nirvana with it and it sounds exactly like them. The sound is great. It has a nice rock sound to it. Much heavier than overdrive pedals. Feature: It has a three knobs. Tone, level, and distortion. Turning up the distortion gives you a fuzz type of sound and turn it down gives you a warm overdrive sound. There is an adapter for it, but I don't have it. Quality: It is built tough. I can tell it will last. Value: It was only $40.00! That is a steal for something this good. Manufacturer Support: Haven't dealt with the company. 5 year warranty. The Wow Factor: The orange color looks cool. Overall: It is worth the money you pay for it. I'm glad that I got this pedal. I use all the time. If it was stolen or lost I would get another one. It's good for almost playing anything. I love this thing.

"Outdated, but still works good" submitted December 4, 2004

Musical Background: 20 yrs
Music Style: Heavy Metal, Hard Rock
Sound: Really good, works well with cheap amps with a bad distortion. Feature: no special features, just bare bone Quality: I've had it for 20yrs and it has never had a problem. Value: Other pedals offer more options like Digitech Manufacturer Support: Don't need it The Wow Factor: Very strong and durable, but get a Digitech to get the same sound pluss much more. Overall: Still sounds good, a little oudated.

Boss DS-1 Distortion Customer Review submitted November 18, 2007

Overall
Sound: doesn't change the actual dynamic of your sounds. Feature: Comes with level and tone and distortion, what more do you need? Ease of Use: three knobs, very simple layout. Quality: Easily made for abuse, or oops, won't hurt it. Never fails, and always works. Won't need a backup, made like a tank. Value: compared to other units, a great price. Manufacturer Support: Never had a problem with it.

"OK" submitted December 14, 2006

Musical Background: harpist
Music Style: yodeling death metal
Sound: The tone is really good but it gives off TONS of white noise. Feature: Very simple Ease of Use: all you do is step on it, just like any other Quality: all metal, it takes a beating Value: Its a good pedal for the money. Manufacturer Support: none needed The Wow Factor: I just needed a better ditortion pedal then the digitech grunge pedal, cause that one sucks. Overall: Its good but, wayyyy to much white noise, the humming is way to loud, bad for recording.

"IT WORKS FOR BASS" submitted March 31, 2008

Overall
Musical Background: active musician and recordist
Music Style: live heavy rock drum-n-bass
Sound: It sounds like a very straightforeward distortion. Not so much ugly hiss like some other pedals (especially on multi-effects) and I have used a LOT of different stompers. There are others with more specific tone characters to them like the Muff or the Screamer, but this is just what it says it is... very basic. Like distortion 101. Feature: THIS is why I had to get one of these. I play bass guitar and sing. I play the bass like a guitarist alternaming between 'lead' lines and a lot of power chords. I have a big problem with most dedicated drive effects for the bass as they tend to cut out the bottom end a lot and actually make it sound quieter when I kick it in, either that or the crunch isn't nearly enough for the full sound I need. The style I play is just my voice, my bass, and my drummer so I needed something that would really thicken it out to make up for the fact that it's just a 2 piece but I still wanted a full sound. I was playing at an open mic and I saw the bass player from another band that was rockin out on this thing and I asked him if I could try it out for my set and I couldn't believe how well it worked with a bass signal. NO cutting of the low, just a big ballsy evil heavy blast of noise and really made my higher register power chords fill out. I actually recommend this over dedicated bass guitar effects for drive. I got one a couple weeks later and run it between a cheap p-bass knockoff and a midsizey 90 watt behringer amp and my little minimalist 2 piece rock act suddenly had so much more oomf to it. Ease of Use: Its a distortion pedal. step on it. I turn the gain all the way up and the tone around halfway maybe a little brighter, and just fix the level so there is just a slight volume boost when it kicks in. Distortion isn't meant to make it louder, just to sound louder. Like I said, I don't experience any loss of low end when I put my bass into it. Quality: Boss stomper stuff doesn't break. Never in my experience anyways. Value: I was surprised when I found out it's so cheap. Manufacturer Support: I never talked to them about this pedal, never had to, but the guy at the BOSS website was quick to answer a question I had about a recorder I used from them. The Wow Factor: I used the borrowed one and went and got one of my own a week or two later. Overall: It's simple, durable, cheap, and does what it says it will do.

"Great sounding pedal for Cheap" submitted December 29, 2007

Music Style: Alternitive, metal, grunge, classic rock
Sound: This pedal is one of the best pedals I've played up to date. when the tone level is at the bottom it sounds kinda bluesy. when it's at 12'0 clock it sounds realy high gained like grunge or metal when its at the end it sounds more like a overdrive. It's good for a lot of nirvana type music Feature: 3 knobs, a input and out put and a battery compartment pretty simple. though it would of been nice if it had a AC adapter but if you use multiple pedals you should get a 1spot daisy chain sort of thing Ease of Use: just turn the knobs to your liking pretty simple Quality: very well made and sturdy with it being made of metal you can really stomp on it Value: 39 bucks is way worth the money instead of buying one of those 100 digitechs Manufacturer Support: Dont know I've only had it for 4 days The Wow Factor: it likes so awsome next to my crybaby and DOD chorus I like the color orange on it Overall: my greatest pedal I own sounds great and a really good price

"not for all but if its not for you you dont know how to use it" submitted December 27, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: active growing musician and boss has and always be there
Music Style: blues shred experimental jimi hendrix
Sound: the sound is for a more intense tone the white noise is quite noticable while not playing but while playing it makes the guitar scream just the way i like it, by itself its not the greatest sound but before my fuzz pedal i havent heard any other combination other than the ds-2 sound the way it does and thats a good thing! mixed with the right gain or other distotoin pedals it is a great effect for producing feedback Quality: lol ive beeb stomping on it for 2 years now and its still reacts like new something ive found very reliable from boss The Wow Factor: i love orange

"..." submitted August 20, 2006

Musical Background: bandplayer
Music Style: punk/rock
Sound: THE GREATEST PEDAL EVER. Itr's best when you use it on a Fender Strat or Fender Mustang and maybe also a Fender Jaguar. It's just a Fender Pedal And i Love it Feature: it's great because it isn't complicated like the other pedals with more then 1 thousand of bbuttons on it Ease of Use: easy... Quality: yup Value: yes it really is but also need an wah wah pedal Manufacturer Support: don't really know The Wow Factor: it's sexy Overall: uim i think the color may be changed

"A Great Buy" submitted August 5, 2004

Overall
Sound: Really good sounding lead distortion for any 70's-80's song. Goes from fuzzy to sharp with a twist of the knob. Great for solid rythms too. it's not bad for punk either. Feature: The features aren't numerous, but why would they be? Everything it has is all it needs Quality: It's solid as a rock Value: For forty bucks, you get alot of pedal. Well worth the money because of its versatility Manufacturer Support: Never had to call em The Wow Factor: It's a guitar pedal... Overall: It's a great Pedal

"sounds great" submitted October 21, 2013

By Ron V in Nashville, TN
Musical Background: playin 48 yrs, guitar,bass, just for fun
Music Style: rock,blues,folk,country
Overall: it is what it is, a good pedal

"Demonic Voices in A Box" submitted October 25, 2005

By a customer from digitalme.com
Musical Background: Producer
Music Style: Industrial/EBM
Sound: Great distortion. Makes my vocals send shivers down people's spines. Feature: It distorts and does that very well. <RANT>Though, as a keyboardist, I wish they had a similar model that was MIDI triggered, but I guess that's why we have effects units, right? Nice thought though!</RANT> Quality: Seems pretty durable, and the orange casing always gets attention. Value: Very cheap for an easy to use, quick setup distortion box. plug mic in and go. Demonic voices in a box! YAY! Manufacturer Support: Haven't used it. The Wow Factor: Many notable industrial/EBM bands have used this unit. Ranging from :Wumpscut: to Skinny Puppy and Din_Fiv. So...there must be something to it. And we all know how good the distorted vocals of :Wumpscut: sound :D Overall: If you are doing industrial and want a good distortion effect for you vocals...this would be the box to get. Just wish it had MIDI :\

"Boss is the Boss!DS-1 if the one!" submitted December 12, 2006

Overall
Musical Background: Active Musician,and my Life.
Music Style: Experimental, Grunge, Punk, Rock
Sound: This pedal is the bomb and if u are getting it for around $40 get it no matter what.I payed $70 for mine and i don't regret it.I also own a line 6 POD 2.0 which i just got after DS-1 and i have two bands,1 in which i use a boss me-30(which is a dream pedal if u can afford $250).But for the price of the DS-1 and its simplicity there is no better pedal around.I wish there was a more crunchier effect thats it.Best used with a vox Wah. Feature: It only had 3 knobs for tone,level,and distorion unlike the DS-2 but still amazing.It came with a booklet that tells you some settings such as british punk,cruch,american rock,and ect. effects.I use a Les Paul and Strat with it and works great both ways. Ease of Use: Very easy to use.Push and u got it.Turn black knob and change battery.Turn all 3 nobs all the way up and then turn tone down a bit or too where u like and u are set.Good Luck if u get it. Quality: The battery screw comes out alot while i am playing and causes me to have to stop song to screw in but if u screw it tight enough you will be fine and don't stomp like a monster with it.Won't break on ya don't worry. Value: Price,Product,Perfect.The 3 p's. Manufacturer Support: I dunno.No problems and i know alot of people with same pedal so i ask them. The Wow Factor: It called me over and said take me home with you even though i never really needed it even at the time i had 2 other chours distorion pedals.I went to store to get a new humbuckers and saw it and the ugre that i had for it when i started playing gutiar 2 years ago came back and i bought it. Overall: I think until i tottaly figure out my POD then this product is perfect.I will definetly not sell it and keep it aslong as i can.Maybe eventually give it to a young apprentice.Really its just a fun pedal to bring to jam seesionsand is really fun to mess around with.

"FREAKING AWESOME" submitted December 19, 2005

Overall
Sound: I love the sound this gives although it took me awhile to find the right sound but after you play with it; it comes easy! Feature: All you need is in the box.minus a cord but yeah no pedal comes with those Quality: the ds-1 is extremely well made Value: The best for the money Manufacturer Support: Havent had a problem they look and feel pretty sturdy The Wow Factor: This litttle orange pedal will look good in front of any amp! Overall: I love this pedal

"awesome" submitted November 4, 2005

Musical Background: active muscian
Music Style: rock, metal
Sound: its very nice has a nice sound to it but not the greatest so i give it a nine Feature: not enough pick ups Quality: boss makes some of the best guitar accesorries Value: some are cheaper and better Manufacturer Support: i wouldnt know i never had a problem with it The Wow Factor: yea distortion is a very sexy thing Overall: im sure another pedal will come along i like better

"The Master's Ratings." submitted February 26, 2005

Musical Background: Lead Guitarist
Music Style: Rock, Trash, Metal
Sound: It has a good tone of distortion, but I wish it was a bit less fuzz to it's tone. Feature: I wish it had some more... Quality: I like the way it was set up. Easy to understand. Value: It was pretty cheap for a guitar pedal, so I didn't expect "Perfect" quality. The Wow Factor: It's pretty good, but there are plenty of better distortion pedals made by Boss out there.

Boss DS-1 Distortion Customer Review submitted March 9, 2008

Overall
Sound: Not the best I've played with. But if this is your first pedal then I reckon you buy it. Feature: Limited, but decent enough for you to have some fun. Ease of Use: Very easy to use. Quality: Boss is a great maker of effects pedals but this maybe isn't their best. Value: Excellent price. Manufacturer Support: Very Good The Wow Factor: I wouldn't buy it myself but it is good for beginners. Overall: This product is good for people who want to have fun. I wouldn't use it in a gig though.

"Average" submitted December 3, 2007

Musical Background: Active Musician - Guitarist, Songwriter
Music Style: Thrash Metal, Melodeath, Alternative Metal, Experimental
Sound: Lets start w/ the goods. It has a wide variety of tones that fit almost every musical style. The EQ, while basic, is actually pretty good, and w/ the EQ and distortion, you can find almost any tone from punk to pop to blues. But there are a few big negatives. First off, the distortion amount, while decent, isnt enough. Its barely usable for hard rock and metal (although I do use it for the rhythm guitar). Feature: There are three things here: a suprisingly effective EQ, a distortion knob, and a level knob. It gets the job done. Ease of Use: Its a pedal. Duh. Quality: Well... its a Boss Pedal. I believe thats all I need to know. Value: OK. Its $100+ for a distortion pedal w/ weak distortion and a good EQ. I got a DanElectro FAB Metal (and three other pedals) for half that price. The DanElectro has just as good an EQ, better distortion, better looks, wider range of tones. Basically, better everything (except durability - the DanElectro is plastic). Is that a good comarison? Manufacturer Support: Ill give it a 10 by default. I havent needed any help thus far. The Wow Factor: As I said earlier, its just a pedal. And to boot, it looks a lot like other pedals. Overall: OK. Knowing that Boss makes this pedal, it suceeds in the smaller area. But where it matters (sound), it falls way short, even with a shockingly good EQ. Bottom Line: Good for beginners. For experts/metalheads, get something else. A good pedal is the DanElectro FAB Metal.

"Perfect Fit" submitted October 10, 2008

Musical Background: Musician
Music Style: Blues, rock, ambient, and some metal
Sound: From light crunch to deep distortion just short of metal, this pedal has a wide range for anyone looking for a bit of a bluesy snap to a sharp solo distortion. the knobs are few, but very functional, to the point where a simple turn of the knob can change the character of your distortion. It's noiseless and works well with other pedals, and not just boss brand pedals. For 35-40 dollars, maybe half of that if you get it used, this pedal is the clearest distortion, rivaling pedals with triple the cost. Very, very worth it. Feature: Not a whole lot to offer, but if you're looking for your distortion pedal to do more than distort, you should stray away. This pedal serves one purpose and serves it to perfection: Distortion. Ease of Use: Three knobs means that you have the ability to get a wide range of sounds without hours of messing with it. Also, the booklet offers a few great sounding settings, so be sure to check that out if you're having trouble with the tone. Quality: Boss pedals are notorious for lasting lifetimes. This is no exception. Value: This is one of the best values in effects shopping. Great, versatile distortion under fifty dollars? It's the Behringer price at the Boss quality. Manufacturer Support: Default ten because I've not needed it. The Wow Factor: It's construction orange. Not a bad look, and it stands out on your pedal board. Simple design, obviously functional rather than vain. As much as I love my equipment to look great, it's more about the tone, especially when it comes to pedals. Overall: Great distortion. I played with it in the store on the tower of boss equipment, and it made a lot of guitars sound very good. I would highly recommend it.

Boss DS-1 Distortion Customer Review submitted November 6, 2005

Overall
Sound: i play mostly hardcore punk and metal and its great i also use and sd1 overdrive petal for palm muting but its a sweet ass pedal Feature: since it has 3 knobs it is easy to get the sound u love and it has a very wide varity of sounds Quality: it has good quality, very sturdy and durable Value: come its only $40 for an amazing pedal no question Manufacturer Support: no problems Overall: great distortion pedal to have, there are better ones out there but none that come even close in the price range

"Bland" submitted September 12, 2007

Overall
Sound: The sound isnt horrible but its extremely basic. This pedal is extremely overrated. The MArshall Guvnor 2 is a much better pedal-it has character, more gain, a better low gain tone, and a really nice eq. This pedal is not versatile at all. Feature: Basic features. Tone (useless), Distortion (not versatile), and LEvel. Ease of Use: Its easy to get tones from it but the tones arent very good. Quality: Great quality, although again, MArshall guvnor is probably more durable. Value: It is a pretty cheap pedal, but really, save up for the Guvnor-20 dollars extra. Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: I dont need this pedal-its obselete. Overall: It's an ok pedal for the price but its very bland.

Boss DS-1 Distortion Customer Review submitted December 12, 2007

By a customer from cox.net
Musical Background: professional
Music Style: Rock, Blues
Sound: Tons of noise. more noise than distortion. When you do hear the distortion through the noise it sounds fakey and thin. Feature: no usefull features - the noise makes it unusable Ease of Use: Very easy to use, just plug it in, turn up the level, listen to the white noise and un-plug it Quality: Its a boss - built like a tank - will never wear out. Of couse it rearly gets used. Value: does't cost much but does't do much Manufacturer Support: never needed The Wow Factor: it does look good, but not very useful, everyone seems to have one , why I don't know Overall: Way over rated. I don't know why people rave about it except maybe to justify their ownership. The white noise overpowers the thin distortion produced by the DS-1. Just overdriving my amp gives better and more sensitve distortion. Look for something else or save your money for a nice tube amp with stepped gain that you can overdrive

"Don't expect the world" submitted September 1, 2004

Musical Background: Active Musician, Former Touring Player
Music Style: Various
Sound: It sounds very electronic and doesn't have a lot of body. Kind of brittle sounding. When your roll the tone around all it really does is roll off the high end and muddy up your sound. I run it at about 10 O'clock on TONE, 2 O'clock on DIST with my Strats. Feature: It has the usual. No problems there. Quality: I've had trouble using a power adaptor. Value: I guess you get what you pay for. Overall: I already have a RATT pedal from ProCo and it ROCKS. I thought I would try this one out. It's OK for a back up or for just some grungy chording.

"Disappointment." submitted December 14, 2011

Musical Background: guitar 8 years
Music Style: alternative rock
Sound: This is an on off switch for a very awkward sounding distortion. It is probably the cheapest pedal that boss makes and you get what you pay for. It sucks all the tone out of your guitar and the distortion it adds sounds more like killing a squirrel than rock and roll. I am goign to stick with my amp's overdrive feature. Feature: The distortion level knob gives you little to no actual control over it. the volume works but it is not a true sliding scale, it jumps so that there are about 3 real volume levels. and the tone knob is also on/off. Ease of Use: If you know kind of how any pedal works, this'll be a breeze. Everything is on/off. Quality: Lukily for boss they make their pedals strong enough to withstand those guitarist that actually stomp on their pedals. But once again, without it working correctly that doesn't mean much. Value: To be fair, this is a cheap pedal. Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: Just because it's boss, which makes fantastic pedals, doesn't make the DS-1 a quality pedal. I suggest doing actual research before you buy. Overall: Look up youtube demos before you buy any pedal!

"Great for me, not everyone" submitted December 16, 2007

By a customer from cwu.edu
Overall
Musical Background: guitar enthusiast and musician
Music Style: rock, blues, jazz, funk
Sound: Not for everyone, metal heads probably won't enjoy it. However, I personally love the sound it creates, very classic rock. On my les paul it sounds great especially on the treble pickup. Not as great on my telecaster, I think it reacts much better to humbuckers than single coil. It doesnt seem to offer as much of a boost on single coils, and it buzzes more, but the pickups on tele's have always been pretty loud. Does have some buzz but only on extreme settings, don't push both knobs past 3 o'clock at the same time, and it shouldnt be noticeable. I don't think you'll find a distortion pedal that can remain silent on maximum settings. Feature: Why don't these stupid things ever come with an AC plug? I'm not going to run on batteries forever. On the good side, solid metal not plastic like many pedals, obviously isn't falling apart like ever. Ease of Use: Straight forward controls. Gotta love that. Doesn't take a lot of playing with the dials to find a great sound, and they respond even to incrimental adjustments. Quality: Perfect. Obviously built solid, extremely durable. No wonder they offer a 5 year warranty, no one ever needs it. I'm sure a fat man could jump up and down on it for five years without it breaking. Value: I think Boss is just a little overpriced most of the time. Danelectro's are just as nice and way cheaper, although I suppose they are also made of plastic. This pedal, though, is very cheap relative to the Boss norm. Manufacturer Support: I just haven't dealt with the company, haven't needed to. The Wow Factor: I don't think it's very desireable, that's why it's so cheap off the list price. Frankly it's fugly. However, I don't care as long as it works well. Overall: A solid pedal. Not the widest variety of sound but great at what it does. I think I'll nick name it captain crunch.

"distortion" submitted November 29, 2012

By curt j in punxsutawney, PA
Musical Background: beginner/ intermediate
Music Style: country, classic rock, folk
Overall: it kills the battery really quick. should come with the power adapter

"Distortion...Distortion...Distortion" submitted November 10, 2004

Musical Background: Active Muscian
Music Style: Rock, Alternative
Sound: Great distortion pedal. Feature: Easily adjustable. Quality: The box is well made. Can you break this thing? Value: GREAT VALUE FOR THE MONEY! Manufacturer Support: Boss is #1 in my book! The Wow Factor: Very attractive distortion pedal. Love the orange color. Overall: I will use this pedal from now on. I own an Ibanez fuzzy pedal that doesn't even compare.

"Absolutely perfect for grunge, alternative, and punk rock guitarists! A favorite of Kurt Cobain and many other musicians! It's j" submitted April 29, 2005

By a customer from bellsouth.net
Music Style: Grunge, alternative, and punk rock
Sound: The sound quality is awesome, just like almost everything else about it. It really captures yoour nuances and holds them out there. I love NIRVANA, and considering that even Kurt Cobain used this and the DS2, it is the perfect pedal for grunge, alternative, and punk rock. I is perfect for my style of music and, I'm sure, for many others as well. Feature: This product is to good for "extra accessories." It's sound, sturdiness, easy storagebility, and overall simplicity makes up for anything you were hoping to get along with the stompbox. Quality: Amazingly sturdy. It's sturdiness is probably the best part. Value: It was a steeeeeeeeeealllllll!!! Don't raise the price though, more people will buy it just the way it is! Don't change a thing! Leave this pedal exactly like it is, its PERFECT! Manufacturer Support: It has a 5 year warranty, but I dont think I'll need it at all! Thanks though. The Wow Factor: I just love the orange color, it goes great with it's sound! It's also small and easy to store. Overall: This is the perfect distortion pedal! It's younger sister, the DS2, is a very close second!

Boss DS-1 Distortion Customer Review submitted August 7, 2005

Overall
Sound: I use it with my LTD Ec-50 and it sounds great. Rapes the overdrive on my marshall MG15CD. I only play metal(just about every kind)and it does a pretty good.It isn't the best sound out there, but for such a low price it's a steal. Feature: I bought it for distortion, and that's exactly what I get. Quality: No clue, just bought it. Value: Like I said before, it's a steal. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed it yet.

"Buy a Digtech pedal Don't waste you money on it" submitted December 30, 2004

Music Style: Rock, Heavy Metal, Hair Metal
Sound: It doesn't have have heavy ditortion at all only good for if you need a little distortion to you song Feature: Can't adjust sound the sound much at all hardly any features at all beside 3 nobs Quality: buit tough Value: Buy a digtech pedal Manufacturer Support: didn't need any The Wow Factor: Hardly even use it since i got my behringer amp

"If you're into grunge rock, this pedal was made for you..." submitted April 29, 2005

Overall
Sound: The DS1 captures every nuance and is really precise. If you explore its settings and tweak them around, the sound possiblities are almost endless! Quality: The DS1 is extremely well made. It's very, VERY sturdy and sounds good, too. I've been using it almost every night since February and the original batteries haven't run out yet! Although it has a 5 year warranty, I don't think I'll need it. It's just so sturdy; and yet, it's also light and doesn't take up hardly any room.This pedal is most definetly compatible with my style of music. It is an investment I'm truly proud of and this won't be the last BOSS or ROLAND product I purchase. Value: It may be "bottom-of-the-line," but it's definetly worth more than it's price (please don't raise it though!). The Wow Factor: Well...it's orange and looks cool...It's just simple...and...easy to use and...just well made. It's simplicity and just overall greatness is what makes it awesome. Overall: I don't know what I'd do with out it...seriously!

"This pedal is great!" submitted April 21, 2008

Overall
Sound: This pedal has a very loud sound Feature: Just three simple knobs Ease of Use: Very easy to use, just click it and turn a knob Value: This product is worth it's price especially if your a beginner. The Wow Factor: Bright orange, not hard to miss Overall: I'll pretty much keep this pedal for a while

"Meh..." submitted February 10, 2008

Musical Background: Active Musician - Guitarist, Songwriter
Music Style: Metal
Sound: Tja... das ist nicht so gut - that means "its not so good", for those who dont know German. Its not a great distortion pedal at all. It has a decent amount of distortion, but not enough for metalheads like me, and it has too much distortion for overdrivers. The tone knob has quite a bit of range, but still. When you turn the tone knob up a lot, its too tinny and thin; turn it down a lot, and it has no bite at all. You have to keep it at 12 or 1 o'clock for best results. Feature: Theres three knobs, a Gain Knob, a Tone Knob, and a Level Knob... a bit run-of the-mill here. Especially considering that the three knobs are the EXACT same knobs used in other pedals. Ease of Use: Well, with the lack of features, it easy to use, right? RIGHT? Just turn the knobs until you get a sound you like (might not happen with this pedal, though.) Quality: Spell it: B-O-S-S. Be, oh,es, es. Got it? Value: Well, its only $40. Thats good. If youre on a budget, you could get this pedal OR you could get the DigiTech Hot Head (with better, heavier, less tinny distortion AND an actual EQ - fine, it only has Low and High knobs, but it counts) for the same price. Take your pick. Manufacturer Support: I have no clue, really, so Ill give it a five. The Wow Factor: Uh... no. Orange doesnt work too well here. Sorry. Overall: Parents, if your son started guitar lessons yesterday, this isnt a bad pedal. Players, if you have little money to spare, this isnt a bad pedal. But two things: first off, were looking of "good", not "not bad", so get the DigiTech Hot Head instead. Two, experts (and intermediate players) who have money to spare, STAY AWAY. Spend your hard-earned cash elsewhere, because this wont cut it.

"Perfect for Grunge"

Music Style: Grunge
Sound: Grungey sound like nirvanas "bleach" and "Nevermind" Value: Best deal ever cheap for a great product Overall: Kurt Cobain used this during the bleach and nevermind eras

Boss DS-1 Distortion Customer Review submitted June 7, 2005

Overall
Sound: Cool, but it need more effects Feature: yes, owners menu Quality: its cool Value: y pay some expensive$ Manufacturer Support: more or less

Boss DS-1 Distortion Customer Review submitted February 12, 2005

Overall
Sound: its cool but its not for hard rockers it sounds tough

When you call, mention priority code 1409-BYGV. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976