When you call, mention priority code 14HV-PHTV

Rating and Reviews: Boss DB-90 Dr. Beat

The Boss DB-90 is the flagship metronome of the Boss Dr. Beat series of metronomes.

"Phenomenal metronome" submitted January 1, 2013

By Paul F in Monticello, IA
Overall
Musical Background: I have played keyboards for 50 years and have a master degree in organ performance.
Music Style: mostly classical, otherwise fairly broad
Overall: I have been using this metronome for almost two years and have never used another metronome as impressive as this one. Some of this review gets a little technical as I attempt to address some other reviewers’ concerns. Don’t be discouraged by my language. This metronome is easy and intuitive to work with. There are many metronomes with extra features, mostly options of different time signatures and different divisions of the beat. I have tried several of these metronomes and have been mostly disappointed. They make an unmusical sound, or they are not loud enough, or what is most annoying, the accented divisions of the beat sound unaccented while the unaccented divisions of the beat sound accented. This shortcoming creates confusion that negates the advantages of these features. I could just as well use a basic metronome that lacks these features. There are many good basic metronomes. Simply setting a basic metronome to the eighth note and setting the metronome to double the tempo of the quarter note accomplishes much of what a more elaborate metronome attempts. But with this procedure, it is easy to get a half beat off without realizing it. A metronome that sounds different rhythms should solve this problem. But if the sound of the accented and unaccented divisions of the beat is not intuitive, the purpose of this feature is defeated. The DB 90 has none of the above-mentioned problems. The matter of the accented and unaccented divisions of the beat is handled superbly through volume controls for each division of the beat. The DB 90 has four sounds, three of which I consider excellent. I use exclusively the first sound which is a simple traditional metronome sound. The second and third sounds I don't like as much, so I don't use them, but if they were the only sounds, I would still like this metronome. I strongly dislike the fourth sound, which imitates the human voice. Some people like it. The metronome also offers the possibility of accenting the first beat of a measure with a bell-like sound. This feature works well. (OK, with the bell I use two sounds.) The selecting of different rhythms through volume controls is an extremely easy approach, far easier than what I have found on other metronomes. It can also be done very quickly, unlike other metronomes. In response to one reviewer, it is possible to make the metronome produce three against four. Simply set the controls to produce the main beat (quarter note), the half beat (eighth note), and the second and fourth quarter beats (sixteenth notes). This will produce four divisions of the beat. Then add the triplets, and you will have three against four. More simply set all the volume controls to make audible sound. Eliminating the second and fourth sixteenths will produce two against three. This metronome can be controlled with pedals. I find this handy when practicing music in sections, each of which is in a different tempo. By using the memory feature, merely stepping on the pedal switches the metronome to the next tempo. If I want to ritard at the end of a section, I simply ignore the metronome at that point. The metronome can also be started and stopped with a pedal. So, I conceivably could achieve more control by using two pedals! This metronome is expensive, and when you purchase add-ons such as a pedal and a power adapter, which you will need, it is quite an outlay of money. But it is the only elaborate metronome other than the Korg KDM-2, that I would recommend. The other elaborate metronomes are too frustrating to use. A basic no-frills metronome is just as good as most metronomes with frills, often better when you consider the insufficient volume of many frilly metronomes. Don’t be discouraged by the hassle and expense of add-ons. The metronome is very versatile without any of the add-ons, except you will need a power adapter. This metronome is a little bulky for moving around. I use the cymbal stand screw to attach it to an eyehook screwed into the wall and mostly leave it there. It is easy to remove it from the wall. But when I want a portable metronome, I usually use the Korg KDM-2. See my review of this metronome. This metronome, even though it has many features, is very easy to use. I have only described the main features. If you purchase one, I recommend downloading a set of instructions from the Boss DB-90 web page. These instructions will give some information not found in the instructions that come in the box.

"97%, best metronome out there." submitted October 13, 2007

Music Style: rock/metal
Sound: pretty loud, I can hear it over my drums when I have headphone in and music playing through the input, sound 2 really cuts through any mix you have. could be a bit louder, though, but its still loud enough Feature: rhythm coach, built in pitch checker, and loop with 50 memory slots, its great. Ease of Use: read the manual, or you will not be able to use everything it has to offer, but once you read it, its all second nature to you. Quality: Great. I's dropped it twice the day I got it (today) and it still in perfect condition. Just don't mount it on a Gibraltar stand, because the un-threaded part is too long on their stansa, along with tama's. I had to settle with a sound percussion mount (works fine, but not as adjustable as a Gibraltar) Value: Little high in price, but a must for any serious drummer. The Wow Factor: Great. best one out there for a drummer. Overall: I think this will last me a lifetime. I hope to never have to replace it, but if I do it will be with another db-90. This has the MOST features a drummer could want, and need. this is really the metronome you should get. get it, and don't look back.
30 of 31 people (96.77%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"IT CHANGED MY PLAYING !!!!" submitted November 19, 2008

By a customer from clermontauto.com
Music Style: gospel ,rock,fusion
Sound: WHAT I LOVE THE MOST IS THAT I CAN LISTEN TO JUST ONE PART AT THE TIME LIKE THE HI HAT OR THE BASS LINE AND I GET THE BEAT IN PLACE VERY FAST IT WILL IMPROUVE MY TIME KEEPING A LOT. Feature: I LOVE THE CLAMP FOR STAND MOUTING Ease of Use: YOU HAVE TO READ THE INSTRUTION OR ELSE YOU WILL ONLY USE 10 % OF IT'S CAPABALITY ONCE YOU READ IT EVERYTHING IS EASY AND SIMPLE. Quality: FOR THE SOUND BUY A SMALL CONSOL LIKE A BERINGER AT $16.00 THE SOUND IS BETER THAN JUST PUTING THE HEADPHONE AND YOU CAN MIX OTHER THING AS WELL. Value: I HAVE LOOK AT EVERY ONE ON THE MARKET AND FOR THE PRICE THIS IS THE BEST VALUE FOR DOLLARD ON THE MARKET
15 of 17 people (88.24%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Pro metronome." submitted May 8, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: Studio teacher - 40 yrs.
Music Style: classical
Sound: Has 4 different beat sounds...some are annoying. Should be louder. Feature: The rhythm coach is very useful. The rhythms are easy to set up. I have not used many of the other features because the instruction sheet is very basic. Ease of Use: The instruction sheet is not very informative. The jog wheel is great. It makes it fast to switch to different tempos. Quality: It seems to hold up well. I have dropped it a few times and it still works. Value: It is expensive, but does have many features that other metronomes do not have. I used the Tama metronome similar to this one....features not as extensive. Manufacturer Support: Don't know. The Wow Factor: O.K. I would prefer it to stand horizontal rather than vertical. Overall: I will use it until it stops working or until I find something I like better.
13 of 15 people (86.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

When you call, mention priority code 14HV-PHTV. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976