When you call, mention priority code 1ZT-SMBT

Rating and Reviews: Behringer SD16 Snake

Run 16 mic/line channels to FOH -- and 8 returns back to the stage -- over a single Cat5 cable. The SD16 gives you 16 remote-controllable Midas mic preamps.

Overall

"Problems Integrating SD16 Into Existing Dual S16 System" submitted May 17, 2016

By Bryan L in Simpson, LA
Overall
Musical Background: Professional Sound Engineer, Drummer
Music Style: Christian, Rock, Country, Jazz
Overall: Hey there. I am writing this more as an informational piece than a review because I had some problems integrating the SD16 into my existing X32 with two S16 setup and I could not find any information at all online to help me. I called zZounds and they referred me to Behringer's tech support. Basically here is what happened. I bought the SD16 as a way to have another drop on the opposite side of the stage. Currently my two S16's are mounted in my amp rack so I need to run cabling across or behind the stage to get to it. When I hooked up the SD16 as the last unit in the chain, the system did not recognize it at all and I had no control over it. The kicker was (and this is what threw me initially) the AES50 lights on my second S16 and the SD16 were solid green telling me that the setup was synced. At that point I started thinking that maybe I needed to update the firmware in my X32 in order to use the SD16. I bought the system together back in 2013 and really haven't needed to do any updates. The system has worked flawlessly since I got it. I went ahead and updated the firmware (from 2.5 to 2.16) and that still did not fix the problem. Here is where it gets really interesting. I started to think maybe there was a problem with the B port on my second S16 so I disconnected everything and hooked straight to the SD16. The X32 picked it up perfectly. No issues. I then hooked up the SD16 as the first box in the chain (X32 to SD16 to first S16 to second S16) and again it was picked up by the X32 and worked perfectly. The routing screen on the X32 showed the SD16 and both of the S16's. I then thought maybe there was a problem with the second S16 in general so I hooked up the first S16 to the SD16 and the same problem occured. Only the S16 showed up on the routing screen. This is when I called zZounds to see if they could help and they sent me to Behringer. The first tech I talked to at Behringer thought that maybe I had a bad cable so I swapped out all of the cabling and that did not fix the problem. I called Behringer again. The second person I talked to knew exactly what the problem was. Back at the end of 2014 there was a firmware update that was released for the S16 boxes that was not widely publicized. Also, as a side note, without having the S16 connected via USB there is no way to tell what firmware version you are running. I was on 1.1 and the new firmware is 2.2. I downloaded the new firmware (which has a PDF file telling you how to do the update) and ran it on both S16's. Everything works great now. The X32 sees everything and I have full control over the SD16 as the last box in the chain or wherever I decide to put it in the chain. I hope this helps some of you that might be having this same issue. I realize that many of you are probably running newer systems than I am but like I said earlier, I could not find ANYTHING on this issue ANYWHERE. Even in the Behringer forums. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few people out there running older firmware because unless you are using the X32 in a studio situation, most of the firmware updates that I have seen apply more to the studio environment that the live environment (which is where I am using my system). I hope this helps a few of you out there.

When you call, mention priority code 1ZT-SMBT. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976