When you call, mention priority code 12FQ-L150

Rating and Reviews: Behringer MS40 Monitor

The Behringer MS40 is a 40 watt digital monitor that connects directly to your digital signal sources, eliminating disruptive analog line-loss and hum.

"Perfect monitors for home computer audio studio." submitted January 21, 2007

By a customer from kc.rr.com
Music Style: electronica, jazz, classical
Sound: Powerful and expressive monitors for my home computer audio studio. I connect to my Creative X-Fi sound card's digital out with a coaxial cable into the SPDIF jacks on the MS40s. I was blown away when I first listened. The response is amazing, from the lowest volume levels to pretty high power. I usually run my volume control about 1/3 with plenty of sound and headroom. It was the price that attracted me to these beauties but I cant imagine I would need anything bigger or pricier for my setup. If you want the best for your computer studio, get these amazing sounding monitors, and they look very cool too. Feature: I bought because of the digital input. I have used both analog and digital and to my ear there is little difference, but I like the idea of the digital input to eliminate any possibility of hum, etc. The bass and treble controls are fine, although I usually run them flat. The up front earphone connection is very handy when my wife goes to bed and I want to work. A very cool feature is that you can input both analog and digital signals, each with its own volume control, and mix them into one sound output. I suppose you could use the earphone out to take this mixed signal somewhere else. Haven't tried this. Ease of Use: Very easy to set up and control. My biggest decision was which digital connection cable to use, coaxial or optical. I went with coaxial because of its simplicity and its good track record. From what I have read, optical isn't any better, certainly in this set-up. Quality: Solid, speakers are very well made, amp is flawless. Nice industrial look for your studio. I wouldn't take these on the road without a good case (to protect the exposed woofer.) The wood case it a plus. Black color fits in everywhere. Value: So much better than anything you will find at a computer store. Use them just for your computer speakers and you won't be sorry. Manufacturer Support: Only on their website, which is very informative. The Wow Factor: Love the look. Really adds a sense of serious music production to my home studio. Overall: These babies will last me for a long time. If I ever move up, I can still use them in so many ways.
68 of 73 people (93.15%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"MY STUDIO IS NOW COMPLETE!!" submitted September 16, 2007

By a customer from alicesweetalice.org
Musical Background: Recording Musician
Music Style: Alternative, Avant Garde, Ambient, Rock
Sound: I think these speakers sound great! They handle low and high range extremely well. I mean for studio monitors, you don't want them to be pumping bass or sounding too tinny anyway. You want them to be middle of the road so you can hear what the heck you're doing. I think that these speakers give me a great idea as to what I'm doing sonically. Feature: Given the fact that there are so many options for connection, I think it should at least come with the basic cables for operation. It didn't even come with the cable to connect the left & right speakers!!!! I was blown away! All it came with was a power cord. I had to call zZounds for a RCA speaker cord. Ease of Use: Extremely easy to set up and use. Lots of options as far as connectability; it should be possible for EVERYONE to use them with their setups. Quality: Extremely solid and looks great right out of the box. You can tell it was put together by pros. No loose knobs, switches or connections. When bass is turned up, you can physically see the woofers expand and there's NO rattle or excessive vibration. There is a little speaker hiss, but that's normal. As far as my computer monitor is concerned, it's extremely close and it doesn't affect the speakers one iota. Value: I think it's worth every penny, and with the free shipping you really can't go wrong. I can't see needing anything else for a very long time! Even if I do "upgrade", these will definately be used as a part of a future setup. Manufacturer Support: I had to call and get a speaker wire the day that I received the speakers and they e-mailed me by that evening saying that one was being sent out. That's my only experience thus far, but it's sure nice getting through to a person in about 1-2 minutes, especially one that isn't based in India!!!!! The Wow Factor: Very sexy setup. They sit authoritatively on top of my studio desk and just beg to be used. They want me to go all night, I say "sounds good" . . . Overall: As I said above, as I continue to build my studio, these MS40's will definitely be a part of my future setups. I can't see how they couldn't be. I'm in love. If I had to get replacement monitors, I'd stick with these as a replacement if they were damaged in a fire or stolen. I wish I knew it didn't come with the speaker wire before I bought it and it would have saved me a trip to the store, but it was pretty minor. I love the sound of them most of all.
40 of 45 people (88.89%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great for the price! Digital IN rules!" submitted September 6, 2010

Overall
Sound: This pair of NFM surprised me, I had to move from some old speakers to new monitors, I couldn't afford to change the disposition of my hi-fi speakers so I decided to buy a cheap but working pair of monitors. These ones are really great for the money. I mean, surely there is something better on the market, sweep test for bass frequences reveals a consistent drop around 50hz (but still moving cones at 20hz with no rattle) and some non linear behaviour, but overall the sound is really good at 50% volume and fits all your (basical) needs for monitoring a recording. The stereo scene is really precise, I didn't need to emphasize bass or highs. Feature: best value for the price, I decided for them for the digital input, it's really a plus, no noise at all and really good quality on reproduction, even better than using the external soundcard on my mac and connecting it through RCA. Surely an XLR connector could be a plus, but for my needs I loved the coax/optical input and was enough for me. Bass/Treble controls are sensitives, good quality (as new) and nice finitures, looks really like a pro monitor. Ease of Use: Very simple, connected the two speakers, the digital in and the power plug and they were running. I put all the controls at 50% (nice feature on the bass/treble knobs is the "middle" position) and did the first soundcheck and they were great. Quality: These speakers LOOKS really good. Overall they're made QUITE good, for a cheap product. Cones are in plastic but the rubber is soft and quick, knobs are well built and the overall looking seems solid and semi-pro. Value: FOR THE MONEY, they're very very good. I mean: it's useless in this product range making a comparison with the first reference speaker that costs twice and only for ONE speaker... As a beginner speaker they give a good stereo scene reconstruction, a nice timbric representation and a good dynamic, used as monitors. 20W are perfect as a power for listening to you music at an adeguate level at a close distance, you cannot use for you home theater environment, but.. they're not made for this! Manufacturer Support: Not needed actually The Wow Factor: aesthetically they're great, looks sturdy and well finished, black is a classic for speaker and the white cone is a plus (even if in plastic). I could ask for a green / blue led instead of the red one, but no more in this class :D Overall: Actually I'm totally satisfied by the product and for my need of home recording in Garageband it's quite enough. I think I'd buy again if stolen.

"Sweet monitors, great looks, good price, iffy sound." submitted February 22, 2008

Musical Background: Active musician / Recording Enthusaist
Sound: These monitors sound rather muffled in the low frequencies. There is no distinct bass punch, just sort of a low bass wash. The mids and highs didn't seem that bad. I have had good experiences with Behringer and thought I'd try these out. Great price. Great looks. Sound just wasn't that great in the lows. Also, the left speaker would buzz/rattle at certain frequencies. I'm pretty sure the woofer was hitting something behind it as it flexed. Feature: There was a good amount of features for sure. Along with the name, great looks and a great price, there was 24 bit/192 kHz D/A converters, and optical and digital coaxial inputs. There was also rca and trs inputs, bass and treble knobs, and separate volume controls for analog and digital. One thing that did surprise me was the speaker cone. From the pictures I thought it was silver metal. It is actually white plastic. Ease of Use: In all honesty, I didn't find the bass and treble controls to be very effective or responsive. Maxing out the treble knob did not seem to alter the sound all that much. The bass knob increased the muddy rumble. Other than that, two thumbs up. Quality: The craftsmanship seemed great. I noticed no blemishes. The cabinet definitely seemed sturdy. The only problem, other than the sound that didn't suit my tastes, was the buzz/rattle that came from the left speaker when I was monitoring keyboard. I'm sure it was just a defect and sent them back. Value: I wished the sound quality of these speakers was better in the low ranges so I could get another pair and have some good looking, good sounding monitors from behringer for a nice price. But, I think I'm going to look for another pair. Manufacturer Support: I've owned a used behringer mixer for about 4 years and have had no problems with it. In this case, it was just a slight defect that zzounds took care of. I have never had to deal with Behringer's customer support, but like I said, my experiences with the company's products have been great. Overall: Sound is just not quite tight. Everything else is pretty decent.

"If your application is simple and you whish to use your S/PDIF interface that almost all 4,8,16,24 digital recorders have this w" submitted May 2, 2008

Musical Background: Guitar Player 40 years
Music Style: Jazz, Solo arrangements
Sound: These monitors are fine for my application. I did purchase them for the S/PDIF interface. The higher end higher priced systems did not have that feathure. Knowing that my output source would be S/PDIF, and I mainly write guitar arrangements a good mid to hight range sound would work as long as there was no buzz from the monitors and these proved to be very quite. If you are playing MP3's based on the nature of what they are you will note the sound is sub par and the low end muffeled Feature: Well I bought it for the S/PDIF input feature, but other than that nothing specail. Ease of Use: Very simple to use but, they should be user friendly Quality: The quality of the cab looks durable. However I would never put any type of amplified speaker in danger. They should last as long as they are not abused. Value: No doubt these are very inexpensive, so if you are into getting just sound for little moneies, this will work. Manufacturer Support: Have had no reason to call but from some past exsperince, Behringer techs are honest about their products and will tell you whats up. The Wow Factor: This is just a part of my overall setup. I hope to upgrade from these Overall: I will keep them until they die but I will not replace with the same. At this price and knowing that Behringer products are not really that service friendly..when they die, they die.

"I love these bad boys!" submitted May 1, 2011

By a customer from wild4music.com
Musical Background: Recording Engineer
Music Style: christian rap
Sound: I love the sound. It gives awesome quality for less the buck. The low frequencies tend to rumble a little if you bump them too hard, but it gives you plenty of bass before it rumbles. Love them! Perfect for starter home studios. The Wow Factor: I love the look of it!

"Le sigh..." submitted February 20, 2008

Musical Background: Producer
Music Style: Techno, IDM
Sound: AS i've read many places now, the sound is very airy. High end is totally jacked on these monitors. These are not a flat response to sound. Feature: No real features. Multiple ins i guess make it a 4, but the sound is bad enough that it doesn't matter at all. Ease of Use: They're powered monitors. They're all easy to use. Quality: I honestly thought these would help me move up on controlling my sound output from the AKG K240 headphones i was using prior (and now am using again), but they have failed me. Value: I suppose it's worth the price. I don't know what i was thinking spending so little. Maybe they are the best bang for your buck, but they haven't helped me at all. Manufacturer Support: No idea, doesn't matter. The Wow Factor: They look nice. Sound awful. Overall: I was satisfied for about a week and a half.

"GARBAGE!" submitted March 22, 2014

By Ed M in Whiting, NJ
Overall
Overall: They look cool but sound like crap...... very buzzy and junky sounding. The headphone jack on mine was plugged and can't be accessed. A total waste of money.

"Extremely dissapointed, but not surprised. Dont waste your money and hold out for something better!" submitted November 16, 2007

By a customer from netscape.net
Overall
Musical Background: Active/Studio/Live Musician, Recording Engineer/Producer, Praise Director for Home Church
Music Style: I am a fan of music; I love all styles
Sound: I bought these speakers because of reading all of these other reviews; giving behringer *one* more chance to provide anything quality and to add to my repotoir of speakers and setup. But the truth is, you have to be musicly deaf to not hear that these speakers are sub average and not worth the money, even if it is cheaper; you mise as well throw your money away. The constant airy sound on top of the recording makes you feel like you are in an air plane listening to a weak recording. At 20w a speaker, it sounds more like 10w a speaker. The treble EQ barely changes anything and the bass just make it more muffled. You are paying for the sexy looks of these speakers, but definately not the sound quality. Feature: It allows for bass and treble EQ on the main monitor and different options for output which allows a user to use these speakers for almost any reason. Ease of Use: If you are trying to adjust your mix and speaker gains (whether its on your board, computer or interface) to get good sound out fo these speakers, don't try. It will still sound airy. Quality: It is well built, didn't have problems, Behringer knobs are known for being loose with static-prone pots. But it functioned well, just the sound quality was horrible. Value: These speakers are the cheapest on the market, and understandably so. I guess for the price you are paying, you get for what you pay for. But in my opinion, still not worth the value for what you spend. My reccomendation is for you to hold out and spend your money on something else. Manufacturer Support: I didn't need support. The Wow Factor: These speakers are dangerously sexy and therefore extremely very dissapointing. The only thing i liked about these speakers is the way they look. It reminds me of one of those pimped out civics -- all show, but no go! Overall: You need to ask yourself what you are buying these speakers for. If you are buying these for close field music recording/mixing, don't bother unless you want a horrible mix and you will just get frustrated on not being able to hear clearly. Although they will make your setup more secy, If its for casual listening, why don't you just buy a low end surround sound system for what you are paying this for, it will be much clearer for casual listening. Regardless, its a waste of hard earned money in my opinion. Purchase something else!
16 of 26 people (61.54%) found this review helpful. Did you?

When you call, mention priority code 12FQ-L150. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976