When you call, mention priority code 164G-7J96

Rating and Reviews: Behringer MIC200 Tube Pre

With 16 specialized preamp voicings, the 12AX7-loaded Behringer MIC200 Tube Preamp is an incredibly versatile tool for warming up digital recordings.

"Needs a 12AU7 instead, but still a good product" submitted October 26, 2012

By Adam Taylor in Mount Vernon, OH
Musical Background: Paid professional musician
Overall: This is a great piece of gear, but Behringer erred in using a 12AX7. The gain factor (100) of a 12AX7 is too hot for this preamp and produces significant noise. I've owned four and all four are noisy out of the box. The simple remedy is to swap a 12AU7 (19 on gain factor) and you now have a quiet preamp with tons of warmth and great for making a solid state guitar amp have extra depth, warmth and character, or adding warmth to microphones without distortion or hiss. The 12AX7 of any variety is hissy and distorted in these preamps. I have tried a 12AT7 and 12AV7 in this preamp as well and nothing sounds as good or is as quiet as the 12AU7. The "VALVE" preset is the best preset on this, by the way.

Behringer MIC200 Tube Pre Customer Review submitted October 5, 2004

By a customer from wap.hu
Music Style: Hip-Hop, Rock, Pop
Sound: Realy nice, warm and detailed sound when used with a condenser microphone (Behringer B1) Also makes a perfect match with the B1, when recording electric guitar in front of the mic. whilst recording it clean on an other chanel the same time. Feature: Does not have power button, has a very sensitive volume and gain controll. And also there's hardly any word in the manual on settings... it took me 2 hours to find out that volume must be adjusted by the gain controller, and the actual output knob -which I believed was used for adjusting the volume- should then just have a very little value to gain optimal, noisless output signal. Quality: Not the most attractive unit I have ever seen, but it looks massive at least. Value: This is definitly one of the best buys you can get for your money in this price range. Other units may sound better, and also cost 5 times more, but if this will be your first preamp, I suggest buying it. You will experience a dramatic change in the quality of recorded voice!
18 of 19 people (94.74%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Selling all my other pre-amps!" submitted August 14, 2009

By a customer from pepsi.com
Musical Background: Professional Musician, Recording Engineer, Producer
Sound: Sounds awesome, I have Yamaha pre-amps that cost me thousands of dollars, I'm selling them because this thing smokes them. Feature: The presets are awesome, and you can cross them up by turning the dial between them. Ease of Use: If you can turn a volume knob, you can use it. Quality: Great construction, well protected. Value: For $40? This thing is the shiznit. Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: Looks sleek and fancy. Overall: I use it in my studio for vocals and for guitars, acoustic and electric. And just an FYI, if you have a Marshall Amp that is really low volume on clean, but on distortion it is really loud. This will fix that issue. Just leave it on clean and attach this and use a distortion pedal and your all good, I would recomend the OCD distortion pedal, it's the most like a true Marshall or the Marshall Guv'nor pedal.

"Great product for budget-minded studios that long for that professional sound." submitted November 11, 2008

Musical Background: Recording Engineer; Active Musician
Music Style: Hip-Hop
Sound: I've read a lot of reviews on this product about needing new tubes and the sound is mediocre. I was even looking into replacement tubes before I got the MIC200. But when I got it, I realized that I don't need anything else. I do Hip-Hop. Simple record-over already made beats. The Mic200 is all that I can ask for. I've always dealt with the preamps that come with Audio interfaces and mixers, so this is the first real preamp that I have ever owned. I combine with a Rode Nt1-A mic with outstanding, crystal clear, extremely warm vocals sent to a Behringer Xenyx1204FX mixer for light EQ and the sound is excellent. The Limiter works very well also, as I can actually SEE the uniformity in each track on my DAW (Samplitude 10). For the money, for anyone using the MIC200 for simple vocal-only Hip-Hop tracks, with a little prior experience on EQ'ing, tracking, and proper mic technique, this unit is definitely worth it.And about the constant hum, I only heard when I turned the volume all the way up on my mixer and my MIC200 just to test headroom. So actually, under normal circumstances, it doesn't exist. GREAT PRODUCT. MUST BUY FOR BUDGET STUDIOS!! Feature: The basic gain, output and presets are simple enough and easy to figure out and use. I really wish there were just knobs to manually adjust the warmth/limiter, but these presets are fine. I pretty much just use the Vocal/limiter setting and it works fine. no complaints. Overall, pretty cut and Dry, but not for the extra picky. Ease of Use: Extremely easy to use. Just plug-in, adjust, and be amazed by this small little gray box. Quality: It's ok I guess. I had the feeling of "Extremely Fragile" when I was handling it. Maybe that was all the reviews I heard about Vacuum Tubes and I didn't want to ruin mine. Bue Either way, I guess it will be alright sitting next to my mixer(Unless my monitors fall on it). Value: For what I do, there is no denying that this is the cheapest, but the most cost-effective addition for my studio. Manufacturer Support: Nuetral. Haven't had to use it yet. The Wow Factor: Well...I don't want to ruin it...but if I got really desperate... Overall: Overall, just a great, inexpensive NECESSITY for my studio and future projects. If it goes out AFTER I feel I got my money's worth, I'll be buying another one instantly.

"Mic 200 as good as the person using it" submitted August 7, 2006

Musical Background: Producer songwriter singer
Music Style: RnB & Rock & anything that makes money
Sound: This straight forward good sounding pre. The Quality is more than you should expect from a unit in this class and price. The sound is warm and as deatiled as the microphone you are using im using a samson CL8 condenser mic I have a soul, Phil collins type of but voice with a higher range and perfect pitch. I do jingles for Radio and TV. And no one can tell the difference when I use this combo or an Audio technica and focusrite red combo So there!!!!!

"Great for start up rappers" submitted February 6, 2008

Musical Background: Producer/Rapper
Music Style: Rap/Hip-Hop
Sound: This is an amazing preamp for the price. It has many settings which are easy to figure out - Record a track using one, then another, compare, repeat - And it works amazingly well with my MXL V57M mic. The bad side is, there is a slight hiss, however unless you're recording nothing through your mic, it's inaudible, as I couldn't detect the hiss over top of any vocal tracks. Feature: It's got everything you could ever want in a preamp. Period. Ease of Use: I gave this a 6 simply because the manual was not very useful for figuring out the settings. Once you learn how to adjust the controls (10 minutes tops), it's very simple to use. Quality: It looks like I could hit it with a bat and it wouldn't hurt it. The fit and finish is superb. Value: For the price, this unit is amazing. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed to call.

"Excellent buy and Quality High!" submitted March 17, 2006

Musical Background: Producer, recording engineer, and musician
Music Style: R&B, Jazz, Hip-hop, and funk
Sound: Its got great tone Feature: The modeling is awesome, there are so many nice settings that can help modify your sound. The gain is great because is lets you decide how much tube warmth you want. The limiter is also a nice feature. It's small, portable. I wish you could use a 9v battery though. Ease of Use: It's pretty simple. The output is your volume, the gain is warmth, and if you want, find a modeling setting that suits you. Quality: Behringer makes some good stuff, this is no exception. Value: You are actually getting a real tube, modeling, and a limiter all for a super low price. Excellent quality. I can't think of a much better deal than that The Wow Factor: I've got a boner for tubes, so this is a must. The amp modeling also makes this product very appealing. It's a terrific buy for the price. Overall: I know there are probably better products out there, but I am very happy with this, so that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned. Also the price is unbeatable. It's an awesome tube preamp that's worth it's weight in gold.

"Ok for me!" submitted April 27, 2012

Overall
Overall: Im new to home recording, and didnt know what a pre amp is... All I know is this little unit gave my vocal recordings a good presence and vibe. I love it. So for all the pros that will be dissing this unit, its still good for amateurs with low budgets! Best 40$ spent in my home studio yet!

"Good enough, but a few more bucks will get you better" submitted March 28, 2011

Musical Background: lifelong amateur musician
Music Style: jazz
Sound: Over the past year I have bought pretty much one of every cheap tube preamp out there, including this one. So, how does it rate? Well, it is an inexpensive unit that appears to copy the somewhat more expensive Art Studio V3, and its sound is likewise similar but cheaper. Not sure way so many reviews rave about the sound, really. I mean it is ok, but not brilliant, and it is noisy. Replacing the tube helps a bit, for sure, but don't expect big miracles, just little ones... Feature: More features than the Art it copied. Ease of Use: Easy to use, but changing the tube is a bit of a pain, due to a bracket that holds the top of the tube, which is poorly engineered with spacers, washers, and such. I just left it off after changing the tube. Quality: This is a light duty unit. The voicing knob makes pops as you change it, and the other knobs are loose feeling. Inside the unit, the components are small and cheap. The tube is cheap as well. I tried a bunch of tubes that I had on hand, and a Mullard probably sounded best, but I could not bring myself to put in a top quality tube that basically cost as much as the unit. Instead, I put in one of the Chinese tubes that came with my Art MPA II, and that definitely still brought out more life to the sound. Value: For the price, I mean really, did you think it would be professional gear? It does the job, and swapping up the tube a notch will help a bit too. Still, if you have a few more bucks, not many, check out the Art units. I personally think the various voicings are a bit of a waste of time, but others may like it. In this price range, though, I would suggest the Art Mic Pre. (Swap up its tube as well, and the difference will be much more noticeable.) Manufacturer Support: no experience The Wow Factor: Basic. Overall: For the price, it is a miracle that any of these tube amps work at all! But they do, and they will help many musicians get started recording. I like Behringer because they were one of the first to make stuff that garage bands could buy. But, maybe they have taken this concept too far? These days I lean towards Art to fill that niche, at least when it comes to tube preamps.

"Too Much Hiss" submitted November 23, 2005

By a customer from bellsouth.net
Music Style: all kinds
Sound: This thing has way too much tube hiss. It takes endless fiddling around to get the hiss down to acceptable levels. I bought it to give a tube sound to my solid state bass amps and it doesn't - it makes them sound deader. I have a 34 year old tube bass rig (100 watts) that does give a nice tube sound and doesn't hiss as much as this preamp! Feature: I give this an 8 for two reasons - I find the limiter actually useful for slapping, and it comes with a 1,300 milliamp 9 volt transformer. I really get ticked off when I pay $200 or more for some company's product and the transformer is $20 extra. The Boss PSA is a 300 milliamp 9 volt transformer for $20. So with three connectors, some wire and solder you could power 3 Boss pedals for the price of this preamp........ Quality: For the price, Behringer products are pretty nicely made. No, you're not getting a point to point hand wired unit in a titanium case, but for $60 the quality is better than you would expect. Value: I just can't figure out a use for this with the tube hiss and dead sound. I guess I'll just use the transformer. The Wow Factor: Should have tried this before I bought it but no local music store sells Behringer products. I had bought an ULTRA-DI direct box a few years ago expecting junk for the price and it was GREAT, so I was pretty disappointed in this piece of Behringer gear. Overall: This thing is just too noisy and doesn't sound good at all to me.

When you call, mention priority code 164G-7J96. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976