When you call, mention priority code 156N-YX2D

Rating and Reviews: ART Tube MP Studio V3

Record any source through this versatile tube preamp! The super-compact ART Tube MP Studio V3 gives you a huge variety of voicings, output limiting and more.

Overall

"If your just looking for a little more gain then this is perfect for you." submitted October 26, 2011

By a customer from sbcglobal.net
Musical Background: Hobby
Music Style: Rock and Alternative
Sound: Has some very good sound. I am using it on drums and on vocals. I hope to use it soon on a mic acoustic guitar. I like the adjuster selector. There is some hiss when you push the gain button but that is to be expected on a low budget pre-amp. Feature: I like the option of the selector button. Ease of Use: Very easy to use. Quality: Good strong case and looks like it will last. Value: Very good starter pre-amp. Very well built. Manufacturer Support: No problems with the amp. I di peg the needle and I thought I busted it. The needle returned to normal. I had the mic recording with a amp producing the output. This created a loop that made the pre-amp pegging the needle. The Wow Factor: Just a good starter pre-amp. Overall: For what I am doing I expect to use this for several more years.

"You do get something here for the money, but it's not magic" submitted March 28, 2011

Musical Background: lifelong amateur musician
Music Style: jazz
Sound: Over the past year, I have bought pretty much one of every make of cheap tube preamp out there, including this one. How does it rate? Not bad, and improves somewhat if you change the tube. Still, for this price I think I would prefer the other Art unit, the mic preamp. But this unit does let you play with all those different settings which can keep you occupied, and off the streets. Feature: Would be nice to have a ground lift and a high pass (low cut) filter. The cheaper Behringer copy of this unit has a low filter, which is nice. (Though its sound is not as good.) The similarly priced Art mic preamp has a filter too. Ease of Use: Easy, though all those instrument options are ultimately a bit of a waste of time, I'd say. Quality: Hey, it is a cheap unit. It should not be considered road worthy or anything like that. Value: Good value, but basic circuitry. Don't expect miracles. Sounds somewhat better if you swap out the tube. I put in a Sovtek (taken out of my Studio Projects preamp) and that worked well. Manufacturer Support: no experience The Wow Factor: ok. Overall: I am glad I bought it, just to see what you get for the money, and I will use it (with a different tube --Sovtek), but not as much as some other preamps.

"It would be perfect and compelete if only it had a earth lift function!" submitted December 7, 2004

Overall
Musical Background: recording engineer, active musician, live sound engineer
Music Style: any
Sound: Very full tube sound! Feature: I only miss the earth lift. Quality: The knobs are long and therefore handy but also a threat to damage in my pre-amp flightcase. Value: Good price for a good sound! Manufacturer Support: I never needed any contact with the company. The Wow Factor: It looks cool with the VU-meter! Overall: I only miss the earth lift, otherwise it is a cool complementary di/pre-amp to have. It is cool for phantompower, DI, eq settings, pad. I use it for a lot of different instruments and voices.
18 of 19 people (94.74%) found this review helpful. Did you?

ART Tube MP Studio V3 Customer Review submitted July 15, 2004

Overall
Sound: I Love how this little box sounds. If you have a small diaphram condenser, good amp and good effects this little box accurately gives you the sound of everything you use. Lower the output compression and you can get rid of hiss from your amp to get the sound nice and clean. XLR's and/or silent knights will also give you excellent signal clarity and reduce buzzing. I have also used it direct with my Zoom 707 II and it makes the clean effects sounds great but the box will get hot direct so I recommend going amped. I gave it an 8 because I assume that Focusrite would be the best quality but ART is an excellent box to start with for a home studio.I don't recommend using a mixer with it because it sounds excellent by itself on guitar and I have also used it on my drum machine through a PA and they sound like real drums. Feature: There are not too many features but the best one is phantom power and the instrument presets. Wish it had a 3 band equalizer though. Quality: Nothing wrong with the quality.The box has solid construction with metal. The Tube would be the most sensitive part of it though. It may break if dropped. Value: I believe it was priced right. Most preamps go for 4 times this box.Excellent way to start getting creative. Manufacturer Support: Never had to contact the company. The box has been working great so far. The Wow Factor: If you have a home studio you definitely want it. Overall: I give it an 8 overall because I know there are better preamps but this is definitely the best box to get on a budget. The quality is excellent. Go buy it.

"Makes my solid-state amp sound like a tube amp!" submitted December 14, 2008

Music Style: Blues,rock,country,gospel
Sound: i just got it & it sounds great. i run my AM/DLX Strat thru it into my G/DEC 30. What a differance! It adds more dimention to the sound spectrum. Feature: The voice knob is pretty cool. All the controls are easy to understand & operate. Ease of Use: I found it easy to figure out & adjust to tweek the sound I want. Quality: The V3 seems well made & pleasant to look at. Value: I could not find another product like this for this price.Great value! Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: I like the color & the design of the unit.I added larger rubber feet so it would set ontop of my G/DEC securely. Overall: THE V3 is very versitile. It's a mic preamp, DI box, it definitely does what I got it for, to enrich the sound of my Strat thru my amp! I also have a GnX4 workstation I plan on running W/theV3 & expect the same results.

"The best fix for your sound in this price range."

Music Style: Rock, Alternative
Sound: You can get great sound from this preamp. It's all in how you set it up.. Use a quality mic.. I use the Sure beta 87.. Use quality cords.. I use "monster cable" mic cables.. Then finaly plug it in with a 1/4" plug. Don't run the mic cord out into the mic input on your board.. Thats why some people complain about noise.. It's running through two mic preamps.. I get great sound and the noise is so low that I can't hear it even through headphones hooked to the board.. You can't go wrong with this preamp.. Feature: The variable valve voicing works very well, just dial in the sound your looking for.. The only thing I can think of that might be usefull would be a low cut switch, but it does work very well without it.. Quality: It is constructed of steel and look like it will hold up for quite some time. Value: Great deal for $120.

"Nice, warm easy little lo fi pre." submitted January 28, 2007

By a customer from verizon.net
Overall
Musical Background: hobbyist lo fi electronic music afficianato.
Music Style: alternative- electro -noise- dance
Sound: Just played it for over three hours with no problems - just the smell of a nice hot tube and a warm sound. Feature: Lots of presets to choose from depending on the feel you want. It's pretty good for how low price it is. Ease of Use: Just plug and tweak and play. Quality: Just got it so it's hard to tell, but the box arrived from Fed Ex pretty thrashed- but the tube and casing are in great shape. Value: Seems to be nice and solid for the price. Manufacturer Support: No experience. The Wow Factor: It;s only a one tube pre, but for my little lo fi studio and D.I.Y.sound it's perfect. Overall: If it holds up I'll just keep it, not upgrade. I checked other reviews and compared especially to a Behringer I decided to go with the ART and I'm happy. I like the compactness, the ease of use, the solid metal body, ooh.

"Good call" submitted January 25, 2006

Overall
Sound: Fattens things up for the most part, but can get hissy sometimes. Not sure why. Feature: What else could you want? VU Meter, Phantom Power, voicing, etc... anything else you need for this price? Overall: Have used it a bunch of times. Have experienced clean fat sound, and have experienced hiss... but the clean sound outweighs the hiss. Price is great too.

"Zzounds does it again!!!" submitted March 21, 2007

Musical Background: Active Musician/Recording Engineer
Music Style: Rock, Jazz, Acoustic, Worship
Sound: I just plugged this unit into my Mackie Onyx Satellite FireWire Audio Interface (Line in) and WOW... Mackie has some great internal pre-amps... however this ART Tube MP Studio V3 really makes it all shine. I was blown away by the warmth of this unit on vocals where I believe it really shines. Exactly what I wanted... and more... Feature: I love the presets that this unit comes with... Just plugged in my acoustic and my electric and turn the dial... anyone can get great tones out of this unit. Love it!!! Ease of Use: Just so simple... even a kid could use it. Quality: Full metal jacket... strong and looks durable!!! Value: Zzounds... You did it again... I paid $69.00 for this unit and I believe it was worth far more... Like $300.00!!! This unit made my mics sing!!! P.S. I wish you (Zzsounds)would carry the (Tung Sol 12AX7) pre amp tubes... I would love to buy them from you!!! I should not have to order them from Canada... Manufacturer Support: Have not had to call anyone... I did see some chatter while I was doing my research about the "tube" inside... being noisy...cheap. So, because I like a nice blues "warmth" tone... I took this unit fresh out of the box and replaced the Chinese tube with one from Russia... Viola... Just AWESOME! Just what I wanted!!! I only regret not having gotten this unit years ago... P.S. If ART would have just put in a decent tube (Tung Sol 12AX7), they would have made far more money on these units. Their loss, our gain! :-) The Wow Factor: Really nice on my desktop... Love the VU meter and the lights... good and solid... all the way!!! A MUST HAVE!!! Overall: This is a KEEPER!!! I may buy another one from Zzounds....

ART Tube MP Studio V3 Customer Review submitted November 19, 2007

Musical Background: Engineer, Tech Director, Musician
Sound: The Sound is very clean depending on the mic or input device, you may have to ground lift the the device to get rid of the noise. If your input and output are set wrong the device will tend sqaush your signal giving a distorted sound. I would reccomend turning your input to three 3/4 ~25db, and then slow increase the output. Ease of Use: The setting are kinda of wrong different voicings work better on different instruments Quality: durable Value: I think the price is a little high for what it does Overall: I use the product to for my mics... works great

"Great for acoustic guitar"

Music Style: Acoustic fingerstyle, praise & worship
Sound: Great for its price range and portability. I use it to take the edge off the piezo pickup in my acoustic, and to fatten up my electric. Guitar signal comes into the V3 then into a Boss GT-3 using 1/4" patch cords. I've never tried the V3 with a mic. Feature: It has plenty of features; too many. The variable voicing isn't as useful as I thought it would be -- most of the "voice" settings aren't useful IMHO because they're overdone. For example, the acoustic guitar setting boosts the highs too much, making it sound harsh and brittle. I just use the limiter setting. Quality: Seems solid enough. Nice all-metal chassis. I like ART's chassis design *much* better than some of the competing products, which have the tube sticking up through the top of the pre-amp (!). One time the meter light started to flicker, but it didn't affect the sound; eventually the problem went away on its own. Value: I wouldn't pay extra for the variable voicing feature, but I do think the V3 sounds better than its Tube MP siblings. Maybe this is a newer design, or maybe it's just my imagination, but I liked the V3 better. Manufacturer Support: I e-mailed ART about the meter light thing, and got a polite and helpful response -- four days later. The Wow Factor: Sex appeal? Um, no. In fact, I'd be deeply concerned about anyone who gets that sort of stimulation from changing their gain structure... Overall: I like this unit a lot. I tried several other pres (SansAmp Acoustic DI, PreSonus Blue Tube, & others) and I thought the V3 had the most pleasant and musical sound for my application. I'd definitely replace mine if it were lost or stolen.

"BUY THIS YOU WILL BE SURPRISE ... ESPECIALLY IF MAMA DON'T ALOUD NO PLAYER IN HER HOUSE" submitted February 11, 2006

By a customer from ripnet.com
Overall
Musical Background: 30 years of .......
Music Style: all type love music I live for it
Sound: IT IS VERY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD FOR THE BUCK BABY DON'T BE TO FUSSY .. WORK ALONG WITH IT ...... AND YOU WILL GET GOOD RESULT FOOL AROUND A LITTLE TRY TRY TRY ... I KEEP ...ANYWAY Feature: YES AGAIN EASY EASY AS 1-2-3 Quality: VERY STURDY Value: VERY ...... BUY KID ROCK Manufacturer Support: DON'T KNOW HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT The Wow Factor: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS Overall: YESSS IT WORTH IT

ART Tube MP Studio V3 Customer Review submitted May 4, 2006

Musical Background: Hobbyist, Musician, Home Studio
Music Style: Rock, Jazz,
Sound: The sound quality has been perfect for my needs. I record track at a time into a soundcard, mixerless, so this preamp/DI box does it all for me. The people who said the V3 voicings sound too exaggerated or harsh, well that may be true on its own but record the tracks and put them into the mix, and youll find youll barely have to reach for EQ to let the track sit in the mix. Since getting this unit Ive never had to really EQ guitar tracks, vocal tracks (using the Studio Projects C1), and bass tracks. And thats why the sound gets a 10. I havent had any hiss problems at all, but Im guessing the hiss comes from people using it in conjuction with a mixer, which is a double amplification of the signal. The tube is a part of the signal chain because it wont produce output with the tube removed, Groove Tubes 12AX7 produce a better tone, so consider replacing the stock tube. DOesnt give any tube overdrive, just subtle warmth and at full input some bluesy type overdrive. So just make sure you have its output going to the recorder and not a mixer, and use the V3 voicings, theyre there to make your recordings sit in the mix easier. For 100 bucks this sounds great. Feature: For a compact budget preamp, it has the V3 settings which save so much time when it comes to mixing the recorded tracks. It has a built in compressor/limiter based on what settings you use. It has Phase reverse, phantom power, +20dB pad, VU Meter, 1/4" and XLR inputs/outputs, comes with wallwart ac adapter. Ease of Use: Because of its basic control knobs (input/tube, output/master) and auto-set limiter, its simple to use. Good thing since beginners are probably the target market for this preamp. Not to say that as a bad thing as its a great value. Quality: Made in China. but real sturdy, the knobs dont feel cheap, the paint/decals are sharp and crisp, the LEDs and VU meter work well and are easy to see/read. Value: For the ease of use, good sound, and features of this little box, its definitely a little more than what youd exepect to get for 100 bucks. Manufacturer Support: EMailed the company asking about changing the tube and they got back to me within a day. The Wow Factor: purple and black color scheme....works in a funky way i guess....still a nice thing to look at on your desktop. Overall: I give this a 9 because its probably one of the best budget preamps, works as a DI box, has a compressor and the V3 voicings make mixing a hell lot easier. If your making your first recording preamp/DI purchase for your home studio, i strongly recommend this one over the other Tube MP models.

When you call, mention priority code 156N-YX2D. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976