When you call, mention priority code 1422-DHNC

Rating and Reviews: Applause AE128

The Applause AE128 offers great sound for a great price. The Applause AE128's super shallow bowl makes it especially easy to play.

"it's all good.." submitted March 15, 2006

Music Style: rock, country, blues
Sound: Sounds great and projects well. Although I bought it to play through an amp, it's plenty loud unplugged. Cam with good quality strings. Action was perfect for me - low, no fret buzz. For action, you can adjust bridge height with shims if desired, or of course adjust the truss rod. Feature: as listed in the specs. Came with a allen wrench for the truss rod. For $200 delivered, I'm not expecting too many freebies. Ease of Use: out of the box, this was the most playable guitar I've bought. I would say the frets are 'medium' size. the neck has a basic finish, which makes it very easy to slide your hand on - no sticky laquer. came with a very brief manual describing adjutment methods. Quality: Made in china...but no problems. Better QC than a Korean guitar I just got for a similar price. No finish flaws or anything else. Comes with a tag/checklist the QC inspector signs...maybe that makes a difference. Value: Well - there is a lot of chinese made stuff out there in this price category. And when you consider the 'bowl' is made of some sort of plastic... Having said that, I think given the level of quality, it's a good value. I wouldn't call it a steal, as I've seen no-name similar guitars for 25% less. Manufacturer Support: applause doesn't have much of a web site, just a 2 page pdf which is out of date on the Kaman web site - which in today's age I'd say is pretty lame. haven't had a need to contact them though. The Wow Factor: Im glad I bought it, it's a good quality guitar - nothing super special though. I wanted an acoutstic - elec for the collection... Overall: for an inexpensive acoustic electric, I think it's a great product. Good sound, great playability.
62 of 64 people (96.88%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Electric guitar guys/gals looking to plays some acoustic Buy this guitar! Acoustic guitar guys looking to plug in Buy this guit" submitted January 2, 2006

Music Style: Metal, Classical, Rock
Sound: The sound was better than expected acoustic, exactly what I was looking for, couldn't beat the price with a stick! Still on an amp hunt. Feature: Like a case. Live on Florida coast, have to leave quickly sometimes. Quality: No blems, product is way better looking in person than on the site. Very happy, beautiful guitar. I love these guy's guitars. Value: Yes. Manufacturer Support: Didn't need any support whole order went perfect. The Wow Factor: It's a piece of art. Great color, sounds like it looks....sweet. Overall: Ehhh. It's a keeper. Would probably do a higher end Ovation in the future.

"Simple and Amazing!!!" submitted June 20, 2007

Musical Background: Active Gigging Musician
Music Style: Sof Rock and Rock type stuff
Sound: it sounds great! The high ends sound amazing on this $200 beauty. The two problems with this guitar is that it has slight buzzing on the G string if you play really really hard (don't play really really hard) and the other thing is it sounds slightly better when it is plugged in then when it is unplugged. Feature: This guitar did not come with any accessories. The only thing i would like to have on this guitar is an on-board tuner. But it is a $200 guitar so i got my moneys worth and more! Ease of Use: The controls are very simple...it has only a 3 band equalizer so it is easy! Quality: For $200 this guitar is made perfect! I wonder why this product is more expensive. Well made, the plastic back is sturdy, and the tuner heads are very precise! Value: YES Manufacturer Support: Have not needed it! The Wow Factor: it is a very pretty guitar (i have the ruby red)! The pictures do absolutely no justice...If you really want to see it in person before buying it, go to a music store who has this guitar and check it out! Overall: A++
20 of 21 people (95.24%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Good value for an acoustic-electric." submitted November 17, 2009

Overall
Sound: Sounds much better than the Fender/Squier stratacoustic I previously owned. Haven't plugged it in yet, but I'm optimistic. I jokingly called the stratacoustic a "guitarkelele," because when unplugged, it almost sounded like a steel string ukelele. The ovation has a louder and richer sound when unplugged. I'm pleased that I can play with a pick - or pluck the strings - and hear myself well. Feature: As with most reviews here, my guitar came with just an allen key for adjusting the truss rod. A built-in tuner would have been nice (the stratacoustic had one) - but I really don't mind. Overall, it seems like a sturdy guitar - but I won't be thrashing it on the ground any time soon. Mine came with D'Addario strings, and they sound tasty. Ease of Use: Pulled it out of the box, tuned it, and started playing. Haven't messed around with the electronics yet, so I unfortunately don't have any useful information about that yet. Quality: Unless the electronics randomly stop working (I'm looking at you, Squier), I would have no problem taking this out and about. Then again, it IS my first Ovation. Value: I might have picked this over the stratacoustic (*glare*) if I had seen it then. I payed the same amount for both. Manufacturer Support: Just got it today, so no comment. As an aside, I understand there is practically no support for this product - but other users seem unperturbed, since there has been no need to contact support. I hope my experience is the same. The Wow Factor: People might be put off by the plastic/composite body - but I'm fine with it. I happen to have a thing for black guitars too - so this fits right with my color scheme.

"Nice Little Starter/2nd Guitar!" submitted April 14, 2008

By a customer from sbcglobal.net
Music Style: Blues/Rock
Sound: Due to the "shallow" bowl on this guitar, it tends to sound more "trebly" than many acoustic-electrics. When plugged into an amp, you can make it sound like a solid-body if you want!(Having had previous experience with Ovation guitars, I expected this type of sound.) I'm using mine with a Hughes + Kettner Edition Blue 15DFX, which gives me a huge range of tones from a very clean to a really raunchy overdrive. Feature: The guitar comes with a truss rod wrench, and that's it. Ease of Use: The neck is very similar to a solid body guitar. It's nicely finished with a satin - type finish, so your thumb moves very easily. Mine was set up with a low - to medium string height out of the box, with a set of acceptable medium-gauge strings. Intonation was okay, with no string "buzz". I bought this guitar to re-learn how to play - I played for 12-15 years when I was younger, including 4 years as a pro, then stopped completely. I recently decided to "get back into it" and teach myself some acoustic blues. This guitar does well for playing slide the way it's presently set! The pickup can give you a deeper sound, or a steely "Elmore James" tone when running through an amp. It's a very comfortable guitar to play when using a strap. That's one of the advantages of Applause/Ovation guitars with the rounded back. Quality: My guitar was made in Indonesia. The finish is very nice, no nicks or scratches. It does appear to be thick on the top, and is very shiney. The neck is a satin finish as said earlier. Frets are "medium", and are nicely done. The tuners are Ovation, and seem to be an imitation of Gotohs. They work quite well and I haven't had any problems with staying in tune. The electronics work well, and are very basic - bass,midrange, and treble, along with a volume knob. There's a "low battery" indicator LED. The battery compartment is also on the top, and allows very easy battery changes. (I haven't had the guitar long enough to have any indication of what the battery usage will be.) Value: I'd say the price is right on this guitar, if not a "bargain"! I've had numerous "name brand" guitars in the past, and I was surprised and happy to find that the quality of this guitar was top notch. I'd say the only real "compromises" I could find were the two-piece top and the rather thick finish on the top. (I don't really know how this affects the tone yet.) Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed any. The Wow Factor: This is the perfect guitar for my present usage. I plan on getting a solid-body later this year, but the neck and setup is great for me to re-build my finger strength and practice without setting up the amp. (I frequently practice scales while watching TV!) Overall: This guitar will last me a long time in its present role of practice/jamming acoustic. This is a good acoustic for people who are used to playing electric guitar, as the neck is very similar is an electric. That is one of the reasons I bought it, having played Ovations in the past and liking them. If it was ever stolen, I'd probably buy another one. I'd like to get the action lowered a little, but if I continue to play around with slide, it's at a nice height where it is now!
10 of 11 people (90.91%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"WHAT A GREAT SURPRISE! KUDOS OVATION & ZZ ..." submitted November 6, 2013

By john battalino
Musical Background: 45 years - Fender Strat / Martin /Ovation
Music Style: ragie blues rock ballads
Overall: I purchased an ONLINE Applause Ovation AE128 from ZZ for the first time in 45 years of playing guitar. I needed a new travel companion guitar that was inexpensive and relIable. I went to ZZ Sounds and was amazed at their ease of purchase and delivery. I went with free shipping not expecting very quick delivery - yet received my Guitar within 4 days ... amazing! KUDOS to you ZZounds & Ovation ... ps- i have played to long gigs last week and my Ovation was fantastic - it actually kept tune in the blistering sun after 2 hours of work ... love this guitar! THANKS ZZ ...

"Awesome guitar " submitted January 5, 2014

By Robert George in Skaneateles, NY
Musical Background: I'm an on and off guitar player for 40 years
Music Style: Basic oldies
Overall: Don't think twice about buying this guitar. Just get it. You won't be sorry. It's so easy to play. I bought the red/wine color and it's a beautiful thing to look at let alone play. Anyways I'm very happy with my purchase and you will be too.

"Awesome Guitar Value ~" submitted October 19, 2013

By John Battalino
Overall
Musical Background: 40 YEARS ...
Music Style: ALL STYLES HAVE MUCH TO TEACH ...
Overall: Ovations have been at my side for over 20 years ... if you need a run-around light weight (electric if needed) stay in tune rich tone fireside serenader - Acustic Guitar - this applause is the perfect companion ... right out of the box and only because of zz sounds return policy would i even consider this type of purchase ... but i can't say enough about the overall experience ... thanks OVATION & ZZ ... peace/light/love

"Get it before the Price goes Up Up uP Up!!!!" submitted July 12, 2005

By a customer from citlink.net
Overall
Musical Background: 22 Years Guitarist yes active & Pro Recording Engineer, I take bands in to teach & Record there albums
Music Style: ALL BUT COUNTRY & RAP
Sound: GREAT SOUND FOR THIS GUITAR,EVEN THOUGH ITS NOT A $1,000.00 GUITAR,ITS AWSOME FROM ON OR OFF THE AMP! NO FEED BACK WHAT SO EVER & I PLAY ON A FLEXTONE III XL COMBO AMP WITH POD XT BY LINE6 THAT POWERS TWO CRATE CABINETS AT FULL THROTTLE FOR MY BAND "STEEL ROCKER" AND ALSO THE KEYS ON THIS GUITAR HOLD THE TUNING GREAT,PLAYED 10 SONGS AND NEVER EVEN HAD TO FINE TUNE. Feature: THIS IS THE ONLY THING IT DIDNT EVEN COME WITH AN EXTRA PACK OF STRINGS? WHICH EVERY GUITAR I HAVE EVER BOUGHT USUALY DOES? BUT IT DID COME WITH THE ALEN WRENCH FOR THE KNECK. Quality: GUITAR IS VERY WELL PUT TOGETHER,TUNING KEYS ARE TIGHT DOEASNT LOSE TUNING LIKE I SAID BEFORE. NO BLEMISHES IN THE ONE I BOUGHT{BLK}. FRET BOARD IS STRAIGHT AND THE STRING ACTION IS PERFECT LOW TO THE KNECK WITH NO BUZZING,BUT IT ALL DEPENDS ON A GOOD PLAYER TO KEEP HIS OR HER GUITAR IN GREAT SHAPE.FOR ONE THING KEEP ACOUSTIC GUITARS IN A HARD SHELLED CASE TO PROTECT AGAINST THE WEATHER,AND AFTER EVERY USE OF PLAYING WIPE YOUR GUITAR DOWN WITH A SHAMY CLOTH AND I PREFER DUNLOP65 GUITAR POLISH CLEANERFOR THE BODY,PROVIDES A LONG LASTING GREAT SHINE.[NEVER USE A REGULAR TOWEL TO CLEAN WITH,IT SCRATCHES THE GLOSS,I HAVE 3 GUITARS AND ALL OF THEM STILL PLAY AND LOOK THE SAME AS WHEN I PURCHASED THEM 5 YEARS AGO AND 1 22 YEARS AGO.MECHANICAL PARTS ARE VERY STRONG AND ALL TIGHT.AND YES I WILL TAKE THIS GUITAR OUT ON THE ROAD NEXT ALBUM COMING OUT!GO TO www.davidsbaseballcards.com and listen to my music for a Demonstration of this and my other Guitars. Value: yes very much! Manufacturer Support: never had to call them yet,this product is well constucted,and im sure that it will not stay this price for ever it will go up since its made by Ovation. GET IT NOW While you can. The Wow Factor: Great looks,cut away for easy reaching of the upper fretboard,the rounded backing for that not so bulky backing that makes it uncomfortable like other box Guitars. sits on your lap Beautifuly or stand up with the strap on? both ways are great. Overall: It will last me forever i hope ? I take great care of my musical equipment as any musician should? If you dont than your not a true Player,and youll end up being a junk collector instead. but im always on the lookout for great buys and more musical equipment for my studio.AND THERES NOTHING I DONT LIKE ABOUT IT SO FAR
10 of 12 people (83.33%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"great Guitar fro the price" submitted October 29, 2013

By a customer from att.net in Atascadero, CA
Overall
Musical Background: 40 years ...
Overall: I must say i was EXTREMELY PLEASED with this Applause AE128 .. as a long time Ovation Owner i would highly recommend the Applause 128 for value and fine tone - and thank you ZZ sounds for your continued professional support ...

"Applause AE128 Acoustic-Electric Guitar " submitted September 11, 2013

By Tony N in Williamston, SC
Musical Background: I have been playing for about 14 yrs
Music Style: Christian
Overall: The Guitar sounds great and looks great

"Cannot beat the price for this guitar or ZZounds service and shipping!!!" submitted February 25, 2010

Music Style: Rock/country/alternative
Sound: I ordered this guitar on Monday afternoon and it was in my living room on Tuesday afternoon. ZZounds free shipping is AWESOME!!! And super fast! The guitar sounds fantastic unplugged. I'll be plugging it in this weekend at practice. I'm sure it will sound great because I've played the same model before. Feature: Basic guitar so I wasn't looking for cup holders. Very happy with it so far. Ease of Use: Strums and sounds excellent. Great sustain unplugged. Quality: Looks and feels great. Value: For $199 delivered...you can't beat the price and value. Manufacturer Support: ??? Overall: I'll keep this guitar as my "Beater" guitar for a long long time. Play a few songs in our shows...hit the beach with it...play around the camfire. It's gonna be around for quite a while.

"Great value for entry level. Cant use live if volume of PA is very loud (feedback on lows)" submitted December 1, 2009

Overall
Sound: Very light, solid, sounds pretty good. Ease of Use: Plug and play Quality: Very well finished Value: Worth 200 bucks Manufacturer Support: No idea The Wow Factor: Not sexy and the main drawback is the electronics. They pick up way too much ambiant noise and if your pa is loud, your guitar will feedback. THAT is why this guitar is 200 dollars. IF you want to play proffesionaly you need better mic electronics. However recording and rehearsing OK I suppose.

When you call, mention priority code 1422-DHNC. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976