When you call, mention priority code 176Y-VQG6

Rating and Reviews: Ampeg BA115HP Bass Amp

The Ampeg BA115HP is a great-sounding, reliable bass combo. With a 15-inch custom Ampeg speaker and a 1-inch HF driver, the BA115HP sounds good in any range.

"Ampeg -- 'nuf said, right?!?!" submitted May 6, 2009

Overall
Musical Background: Professional Studio Session Bassist, Occasional Live Performances
Music Style: Anything and Everything
Sound: I have used this amp on many occasions (I showed up for a gig, and either the house or another band had this amp available for use), and just ordered it as a B-stock item from zZounds. I prefer the sound of 10's over 15's, but this amp was such a great value, it was hard to say no to the order just because of the speaker configuration. This amp is versatile. I have used this model of amp for various gigs, including rock, soul, R&B, jazz, country, and others. You can expect a round bottom ended tone, like with most 15" combos. You also get really good midrange tones, and the tweeter in the cab gives clear highs without being harsh. It is loud enough for most gigging situations. The amp is very responsive you your playing -- in fact, much more responsive than I would have expected from a relatively inexpensive combo amp! As far as expressing my musical style, any amp does that... The way I see it, TECHNIQUE is the primary tool of expression, followed by the bass and the amp. I can plug into any amp and sound good. I record running direct for that reason, but needed a tool to be heard in live performances. After all, not every venue has PA to support much more than vocals and miked drums. Feature: Let's face it -- in the real world, we gig in small to medium sized venues and outdoor festivals, rarely playing large scale production gigs. If you happen to land a big gig, the XLR out lets you run to the house. No need for the hassel of a big stack when you can run through the PA. :) The built in tuner is a great feature! This amp has a mute button, which is always a welcome addition to any amp in my opinion. The EQ section of the preamp is a simple shelving EQ, which I actually prefer over a graphic EQ. Simplicity is the key to happiness, and turning three knobs is much simpler than adjusting 7-12 sliders! Of course, gain and master volume controls. The only thing that I wish this amp had is a built in compressor/limiter. That's not too big of a deal, but still... Ease of Use: So easy -- plug it into the wall, plug in your instrument cable, play. I'm going to have to read the manual to see how to use the built in tuner, but I expect that to be simple. :) Quality: From my experience, anything Ampeg makes is high quality stuff. This combo is no exception. Well built cab, good electronics, quality woofers and horns, good hardware. Value: Anytime you can buy B-stock, do it!! I have ordered B-stock items from many online vendors, and they all work perfectly. I don't mind small cosmetic flaws because the function of the item is good. B-stock is the way to buy and you do get a great value. As an example, this particular purchase was almost 50% off retail just because the amp was B-stock. Even if you prefer to stick with brand new, the price of the amp in brand new condition is well worth it. Manufacturer Support: I've never dealt with Ampeg before, so I'm not going to rate this one. The Wow Factor: I'm kind of a minimalist, and that's one reason that I like Ampeg combos. Simple controls, classy aesthetics, classic black covering will fit visually with almost any situation that you'll ever play in... Overall: Even with the (apparent) lack of a compressor/limiter, this is an outstanding amp, both in performance and value. If you're able to buy it B-stock like I did, DO NOT HESITATE because you may go back later and the supply will have been diminished. Great sounding amp, fantastically simple controls and appearance, and an all around champ in tone as the amp works well in many styles of music. Buy today!
61 of 62 people (98.39%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great Combo Amp" submitted January 13, 2005

Music Style: Christian, rock, punk, alternative
Sound: I rate this a 10 because, well, it sounds like an Ampeg... It has that vintage Ampeg tone thnat no other amp has. It fits the type of music very well but can also be versatle enough to cover a lot of different types of music Feature: The amp came with a set of removeable casters. Since this thing weigh 80 pounds that was a nice feature. Features on this amp aren't many but the ones you get a re simple. The five way style switch is nice but I only use 1, 2, and 3. I think this amp should have came with an effects loop and it does not have an extention speaker outlet which I think it should have but other than that the amp is great. Quality: Excellent Ampeg quality. Built like a tank. Everything fits together very well and nothing looks cheap. It's dependable and very durable. I never bring a back up. Ampeg does not use metal grills so the grill cloth is suspect but they never have and if they did it wouldn't look like an Ampeg anymore so I guess i can live with that. Value: Honestly I think these amps are little expensive when they don't give you an effects loop, and extension speaker hook ups but you do get more wattage / power (220 watts) than the products in this price range. I guess it's the price you pay to get the Ampeg tone in a combo amp. Manufacturer Support: I don't know how to rate this because I have never had to use them. I guess no contact with them is a good thing so I will give them a 9. The Wow Factor: The Ampeg look and sound are classic. It's no technical marvel it just sounds great and there really is no other reason to own one. They have a very simple vintage look to them that I really like. Overall: As far as a combo amps go I don't think I will ever need another one. I plan on sticking with this one for a long time. I had an SWR Workingmans 15 before this one and the Ampeg just sounds better hands down. It may be missing a few features that the SWR offered but it's tone blows it away.
46 of 48 people (95.83%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"The only amp I seem to need" submitted April 3, 2012

By Jonathan C in Lee, NH
Musical Background: Playing bass 2 1/2 years
Music Style: Mostly rock cover bands (classic to alternative)
Overall: I actually have the HPT version, which is the same as this but with an onboard tuner. I bought mine used when I first started jamming with a rock band about two years ago. It's very solid, very flexible tone, common-sense to use. I keep thinking I should buy a new amp or a half-stack but have yet to find a situation the BA115 doesn't work in. I was worried that 220 watts might not be enough to gig with a rock band in a bar, but that was put to rest last week; I had the volume at about 4 and only 2 or 3 on my bass and the guitarist wanted me to turn down so I didn't overpower him. If you're only going to own one amp, this is the one. The only drawback is that it's heavy - 80 or 90 pounds to haul in and out of practice and gigs. If I do buy a second amp, it will probably be an ultralight for practices. I never needed to contact the manufacturer so no idea how support is.

"Love it." submitted November 6, 2014

By Ray Rodriguez in Ansonia, CT
Overall
Musical Background: I've Play bass for: Tito Puente, Celia Cruz, Tony Vega, Jose Alberto, La India and many more artist.
Music Style: Salsa and Latin Jazz.
Overall: I been wanting to buy this combo amp for a while so I finally did and I love it. I like the deep tube sound it give my E string on my babybass. The only issue I have its not powerful enough I wish they can make the same cabinet with more power, but I do understand its only 220 so I am using a SAMS AMP to help with the power that I need which help. So overall I am very happy and glad I invested in this combo. I highly recommended to anyone wanting to carry a light weight amp especially salsa babybass bass players this is they way to go.

"Ampeg Bass Amp Model BA115HP" submitted September 2, 2014

By Larry Walters in Indianapolis, IN
Overall
Musical Background: Jam at home been on stage as well, playing electric guitars gos 30 years give or take.
Music Style: Jazz, Blues, Rockin Roll working on some country.
Overall: I like it a lot, sounds great, I need to get the under cabinet for this unit to round it out, I thought it was a good deal, I think you will to. It has a tuner on it to. THAT DOES NOT WORK WELL, but other that that its a great unit

Ampeg BA115HP Bass Amp Customer Review submitted September 13, 2011

Overall
Sound: It has that great Ampeg sound. You have to go past noon on the knobs to get the volume to really kick in Feature: The built in tuner is a great feature as well as the 5 position EQ selector. Only thing missing is a ext cab line out. Quality: Solid cab and casters. I did have to tighten the screws holding the amp in however. It is built like a tank! Value: Great Ampeg sound for the value! Manufacturer Support: I have dealt with AMPEG/LOUD on a previous amp warranty and they came through with flying colors! Overall: This amp will cover much ground , from practice to small/medium venues. I have seen many a player toting this around

"Great ampeg tone" submitted April 9, 2012

By Jeff S in chesapeake, VA
Overall
Musical Background: Started playing 25 years ago and have played professionally for the last 18.
Music Style: alt rock, metal, christian, bluegrass, and traditional country
Overall: I have always played an ampeg svt head with the ampeg 8x10 cabinet and loved the sound. I was very impressed with the tone that came out of this small amp. It is loud enough for rehearsal and with the line out it works great live through thePA. It's a great amp at an affordable price.

"Got a lemon" submitted January 17, 2013

By steve e in fenton, MI
Musical Background: gigging band for 15 years
Music Style: rock/classic rock
Overall: After a few months it just up and stopped working at a show. My friend replaced some of the circuits, got it to work and it fizzled out again. Ampeg never again.

"Mine crapped out on me 8 days after the warranty was up" submitted March 31, 2013

By Russell S in Parkersburg, WV
Musical Background: I have played bass for 43 years
Music Style: Blues, jazz, southern rock
Overall: The dealer that was on the warrant list said, "We are?" when I told him that Ampeg said they were the ones in my area to fix my amp. The place didn't even have a schematic. It started sounding bad about three weeks before the warranty was up and it was then that I wrote Ampeg. By the time I had a reply and the supposed repair place called back, it was after the warranty. The repair place didn't even know how long it would take them to get the schematic. I sold it and bought a Carvin and have had no problems with that.

"Ampeg BA 115HP" submitted February 19, 2006

Musical Background: Approx. 35 years of local, road and recording experience
Music Style: Country, Country Rock, Southern Rock
Feature: A rather small thing - Standby switch should be isolated on panel. It is too close to a control knob. Manufacturer Support: Only had it a week. Haven't had need for it.

"Ampeg BA 115HP" submitted February 19, 2006

Musical Background: Approx. 35 years of local, road and recording experience
Music Style: Country, Country Rock, Southern Rock

When you call, mention priority code 176Y-VQG6. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976