When you call, mention priority code 203-ZXM7

Rating and Reviews: Alvarez AP66 Parlor

This parlor-sized acoustic guitar offers charming vintage looks, easy playability, and crystal-clear tones for performers and hobbyists alike.

"Very Impressed!" submitted January 19, 2017

By Thomas N in Warner Robins, GA
Musical Background: Acoustic, electric, keyboards
Music Style: Christian mostly, some rock
Overall: I am not a fan of spruce tops and mahogany back/sides. In fact, I own two acoustics which are solid rosewood with spruce. So... I was skeptical of a 325 dollar parlor which was all mahogany. WOW! This guitar sounds good. Very bright and an expanded midrange that makes for wonderful sound. I was also very surprised at the projection from such a small body guitar. I basically bought the AP66 for sitting in an easy chair and practicing without a large body instrument on my lap. Now I can sit with both a small and comfortable practice guitar, and all the sounds that help me make better music! I am definitely a convert to all mahogany guitars. Rosewood is great for highs and lows, but mahogany is a GREAT overall sounding guitar for all ranges.

"At last..." submitted February 8, 2017

By Dru C
Overall
Musical Background: Hobbyist for 33 years.
Music Style: All styles
Overall: There is a reason that I waited so long to review this guitar. I am notorious for purchasing guitars, and then over the course of a few weeks, I find find something about the instrument that drives me insane, and I either sell it, or trade it off. The Alvarez AP66 broke the trend. It is without a doubt, the best acoustic steel string I have ever played. Now, before you purists start rolling your eyes, let me explain. I have been playing the guitar for thirty-plus years. I have played electric, acoustic, and classical. I love all styles of music, and at one time or another, have focused on one particular style for months or even years. I switch it up to keep it fresh, I suppose. But my love for the guitar has never waned. I have played cheap instruments that blew me way, and I have played boutique instruments that were laughable. I am a firm believer that the it's the player, and not the instrument that matters. With that said, let me get down to the specifics for those of you that are considering purchasing this guitar. The tone of this guitar is astounding. It is warm and full, and it does not lean toward either the bass or the treble. It plants itself squarely in the middle, and allows you to determine the timbre of the sound. It responds equally well to your fingers and to your pick. The volume, like the tone, is up to you. If you dig in, it will rattle the fillings out of your mouth. If you play gently, the sweetness of the sound will give you cavities. The craftsmanship is too good for this price point. I cannot find any flaws in the binding, no excessive glue inside the body, and the finish is truly gorgeous. The setup from the factory, at least on the one I received is spot on. The action is low, but not too low. It plays like a dream. I made the mistake of putting a set of light silk and steels on it, and I got some fret buzz. Parlor guitars have a shorter scale, and they tend to respond better with heavier strings. I guess this is why Strat players can go lighter, and Les Paul players can go heavier. Alas, no guitar is totally perfect. The ONLY issue I have with this guitar is the tuners. They are not on par with rest of the instrument. They bass side has too much play, and the treble side is sticky. I will be replacing the factory tuners with Grover Stat-Tites very soon. I still highly recommend this guitar. It has the punch of a dreadnaught, but the articulation of an OM. I have always thought that 12 frets to the body improved the sound of any guitar, but that's just me. So, for under $400, this is without a doubt the best guitar on the market, and it can hold its own against gutars costing five times as much, Alvarez hit a home run with this one. If they upgraded the tuners, it would be a grand slam.

"Love This Guitar" submitted October 30, 2016

By Ernie R in Caledonia, MN
Overall
Musical Background: advanced hobbyist, amateur performe
Music Style: i like country blues, fingerstyle and have been known to strum some as well
Overall: I don't usually write reviews, but this guitar wowed me. I love the look of the shadowburst, the feel of the neck, and the sound of this little gem. I have owned several alvarez guitars over the years, and love them, so does my little brother who usually inherits mine. I bought this guitar for bottleneck slide, and the setup was perfect for slide out of the box. However, for regular play I would say you would have to lower the action. But there is plenty of saddle (real bone) to accommodate that kind of setup. Exceptional value at this price, and as always zZounds is the best.

"Love it, and I'm a Taylor "snob"" submitted May 15, 2014

By Robert B in Amherst, NH
Musical Background: 50 years acoustic guitar
Music Style: folk/acoustic country/Christian
Overall: Got one of these about a month ago and can't put it down. I have always wanted a parlor size guitar which Taylor does not have in its offering. I own several Taylor guitars and I love them all but for this short amount of money, this is a great guitar. Since it does not come with a case I ordered a Road Runner classical guitar case (polyfoam) and it fits like a glove, I had my guitar tech install a Dean Markley soundhole pickup for quick plug in and retro sound. Ready to hit the farmer's markets this summer in vintage style!

"Great Guitar" submitted January 15, 2014

By Terry B in Caro, MI
Overall
Musical Background: I've played guitar since 1972.
Music Style: Folk and blues.
Sound: The mahogany top gives this guitar a sound closer to the old ladder braced guitars of the 30's, which is great for fingerpicking blues and folk music. It's a 'clearer' sound but there are still nice, very well balanced harmonics, making it even better than the old ones. But it definately is not a dreadnaught sound. Feature: The simple abalone inlay around the soundhole is beautiful. The lack of inlays on the fingerboard makes it looks classy in my opinion. There are dots on the side of the neck. The overall color and finish is very nice. Ease of Use: I put 13's (mediums) on this guitar right away. The 12's that came on it sounded kind of thin, almost cheap. 13's produce a little more bass and give an overall richer sound. It was easy to change the strings. The low action makes it easy to play. The body shape is great, it fits in my lap nicely. Quality: VERY nice high quality construction and finish. When you look at the details, like the bridge, the nut, the braces inside, the straightness of the neck, and the fret ends, you know this guitar was made under strict supervision. Value: It seems like this guitar could, and should, sell for $500 at least. Manufacturer Support: Haven't dealt with the company. The Wow Factor: The longer body (meets the neck at the 12th fret) and the simple sound hole, combined with a great looking finish and that cool slotted headstock give this guitar a wow factor of 11. Overall: This is a solid, nice playing, great looking guitar. I wanted a guitar for fingerpicking and occasional strumming. This is it. The neck width is a little wider and the neck a little thicker than a lot of acoustic guitars. I like this. I gives me something to hang on to and the strings don't feel cramped.

"Alvarez AP66SHB" submitted January 6, 2017

By Robert P in Warner Robins, GA
Overall
Overall: This was my first purchase from zZounds. I am impressed. Guitar was double boxed and shipped quickly. Thanks guys you have a new fan.As for the Ap66, it was what I expected from Alvarez. This thing is flawless from one end to the other. Plays like a dream and has a very nice warm tone. Love it.I was an Alvarez fan anyways and this one did not let me down. Good job. I do not know about manufacturer support but the review made me rate it.

"Alvarez ap66" submitted May 4, 2014

By Michael N in Mercer, ND
Music Style: rock n blues
Overall: This is my new favorite. the action is great, the tone is much better than expected . I like the slotted head stock. The body size is perfect. I was skeptical about "made in China" but was pleasantly surprised with the quality. The neck width is great. I think I made the best choice at this price for a parlor guitar. Zzounds shipped fast!

"Alvarez AP66 Parlor Acoustic Guitar" submitted April 14, 2014

By Thomas Greenhalge in Westminster, CA
Overall
Overall: This is an excellent parlor size guitar, with all Mahogany top, back and sides. It sounds and plays great. Tone is very even through out the range, without being overly bright.Overall construction is very clean and well executed. The finish is a beautiful vintage sunburst.

"Beautiful Instrument and Great Value" submitted April 13, 2015

By Michelle S in New York, NY
Overall
Musical Background: Jam at home, intermediate player.
Music Style: Rock, blues, country.
Overall: I had been searching for a second acoustic guitar and became interested in parlor guitars, particularly because I am becoming more interested in the fingerpicking/fingerstyle technique. I am not a professional musician or highly experienced player therefore, I did not want to shell out more than $500 - $600 for a guitar. I did a lot of research and decided on purchasing the Alvarez AP66 because of all of the glowing reviews. Not going to lie that I took a risk and purchased this without playing it first however, I feel like I lucked out because I love everything about this guitar. It has a rich, deep sound that packs quite a punch. It is a beautiful instrument that not only looks good, it sounds good as well. I will probably take it in for a set up because the action is a little bit high for me. This has not stopped me from playing it every day since I received it. Very happy with my purchase and I would recommend this guitar without hesitation.

"Alverez AP66" submitted December 8, 2014

By Scott Singiser in Carlisle, PA
Musical Background: 12 years, home and jams
Music Style: Folk, bluegrass, blues
Overall: Great guitar, fun to play, good set-up. A very nice guitar at a very good price. I would recommend this for anyone looking for a smaller body instrument for everyday playing or as a backup for your primary guitar. You won't regret purchasing this piece. Also shipping was very fast.

"Excellent parlor" submitted December 31, 2014

By John I in Rochelle Park, NJ
Overall
Musical Background: guitar, at home only
Music Style: finger style - blues, ragtime and folk.
Overall: I just received this today, the setup is excellent and the fit and finish of the guitar is perfect. The guitar's tone and volume really exceeded my expectations.

"Alvarez AP66 Parlor Acoustic Guitar" submitted March 9, 2015

By Kevin H in Douglas, IL
Music Style: Country/Folk/Bluegrass
Overall: I can't put this guitar down, it's so easy to play with the small body but a LARGE sound the 12 Fret to the neck puts everything right in front of you. In short the best $350 Bucks I have ever spent, buy this guitar you won't be disappointed.

"Alaverz AP66 Parlor Guitar" submitted February 23, 2014

By TOM W in NEW MADRID, MO
Overall
Musical Background: 7th grade.
Music Style: country, rock, blues....
Overall: Great little guitar. Plays great and sounds great. Well constructed and finished. Action was great right out of the box. Sings. Great guitar for the money!!

"very nice" submitted April 27, 2014

By tom zane in wimberley, TX
Overall
Musical Background: 25+ years picking and still learn something here and there.
Music Style: classic rock mostly..
Overall: slightly alrger than a seagull parlor, this guitar is very well appointed..plays well, full rich sound..I would say that it can hold its own with parlor guitars that cost several thousand- of course there is a difference but for the money, this one isn't bad at all..I have several expensive acoustics but they are a bit fragile..this guitar is sturdy and lets face it, if something happens to it, it is only $350- so you can move on easily..a $3000 martin loss is bit harder to live with..I give this one an overall 4 star- I prefer a bit luighter finish on the top just because I think you get more natural wood sound resonance..but this guitar is a keeper all the way.

"Alvarez AP66SB" submitted January 6, 2014

By Brian K in Virginia Beach, VA
Overall
Musical Background: Martin, Alvarez Yairi and this little Parlor Guitar/ More poorly than I'd like.
Music Style: Chillwave Ragtime right
Overall: Very Nice little guitar. Mine came without the pick guard which I kind of like. In my opinion it sounds better dropped down a half step. It arrived a lot faster than I expected. Over all a very good experience with ZZsounds.

"Alvarez AP66SB" submitted February 23, 2015

By Kevin H in Lake Wales, FL
Music Style: Country
Overall: Great guitar, the sound that comes out of this parlor guitar is really unreal. It's as loud as a dreadnought and so easy to play Solid Mahogany Top with real Bone nut and Saddle at this price. zZounds had it on my door step in 2 days, 2nd guitar I have purchased from them in the past 12 months awesome job zZounds!

"Alvarez ap66sb" submitted August 28, 2014

By Chris R in Los Angeles, CA
Musical Background: Playing for 22 years
Music Style: Rock, blues, jazz.
Overall: Great parlor guitar for the money. Many musicians buy the name, and others buy quality. This is one of those guitars that you just can't put down. It Sounds clean. it's tone is much better than other guitars I tried more than double it's price before ordering from it zzounds.

When you call, mention priority code 203-ZXM7. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976