When you call, mention priority code 154F-3XB0

Rating and Reviews: Alesis DM10X Kit Drums

Great for acoustic drummers looking for a quality electronic set, this 6-piece electronic drum kit from Alesis is built to feel natural to acoustic players.

Overall

"Happy Apartment Drummer with a bit of cash left over for extras." submitted August 8, 2012

By Adrian H in Virginia Beach, VA
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing music for almost 30 years. I have played semi professionally but now am just playing and recording at home.
Music Style: Rock-Reggae fusion, blues, rock, Hip-Hop
Sound: This kit has a very realistic sound to it but what I love is the fact that there are some very synthisized sounds on it as well. Out of the box I was very worried about some response problems that I had. (Double Sticking, flams, rolls, etc.) After some tweaking and calibration it was dead on and sounded great. I play a lot of Reggae and I dont know that this kit is best suited for that style. Im still trying to make the transition from accoustic to electric though so maybe things will change. The different settings of the DM10 controler make it very easy to compensate for certain things and man are their options. I still havent even scratched the surface of everything it can do. I would definately reccomend this set with this warning... If you are looking for an electric kit that plays like an accoustic kit you should stop looking because In my opinion on just does not exist. Electric drums are a totally different beast.. I sure am learning to love them though!! Feature: I love the dual zone toms and snare. I have a triple zone ride which is really sweet once you get the settings figured out. All of the heads are real style drum heads which beat the heck out of rubber pads on competitor products. Roland has them beat with the mesh heads but i found out that After my warranty is up, I can install mesh heads so I feel like I came out on top of this one. The entire kit is made of good quality products. Ease of Use: Kit sounded great right out of the box. I have some other Alesis products that work well with my kit. All of the preset drum kits sound great but its really cool that you can take pieces from any kit on there and build your own kit. I think that anyone who can follow basic instructions and has a drummers instincts can easily set this up and get the best possible sound out of it with minimal frustration. Quality: As I stated before, this entire kit is made out of good quality products. They didnt skimp a bit when they constructed this kit. i can beat the heck out of this thing and have the confidence that it will stand strong and perform just as well as any other kit on the market. i see this lasting me for many many years to come. Value: After researching what seemed like every electric kit on the planet (in my price range) i have found and firmly believe that this kit is where a drummer can get the most bang for his buck. i bought this and still had money left over to get a nice monitor system for it and a mat to go under it along with lots of other little extras including a nice double lick pedal. Keep in mind this kit does not come with a kick pedal. Manufacturer Support: Support of this product leaves a bit to be desired. There were supposed to be some updates to come out for it but I have learned that it probably isnt going to happen. After making some phone calls and doing some research on the net I have found that the Alesis Techs are hard to get any straight answers out of. We will see if that improves. Still doesnt make me regret my purchase. The Wow Factor: For me its the ability to jam out in my 1 bedroom apartment without getting the cops called. Nuff said! Overall: I have been playing drums since I could walk. Got my first drum kit at 18 months and have been rocking ever since. As a drummer I have been afforded the priveledge of touring a bit and have spent lots of time in the recording studio. I have always used an accoustic kit and never imagined myself using anything else. I have had kits from all of the big name brands out there and with a bit of tweaking have loved them all. A few years back the band split and I took a break from music. I now live in an apartment and no longer have a practice venue. Recently I have had that old familiar itch to make some music. Living in an apartment, I cant just set my drums up and jam on them whenever I want to. After much thought and consideration, I decided to sell my 9 piece accoustic kit along with the rack system and such to switch to an electric kit. Now I have never owned let alone really played an electric drum set. I have messed around in the music shops a bit but that was the extent of my electric drum knowledge and experience. I searched all over the place at all of the different kits that are out there. I knew that i wanted four toms and at least 2 cymbals not including the Hi-Hat. Again, I just didnt even know what to look for. The first kits that I looked at and played were Roland Kits. The Roland Kits are awesome! There is no doubt about that. I loved the mesh heads and the size of the kit that I wanted but WOW!!! They were just so expensive and I had to think about some of the extras that I would need to purchase (like an amp designed to handle electric drums) so i kept looking. I sat down behind an alesis DM10 Studio kit and really liked the way that it felt and sounded. It had 4 10 inch toms and had two crashes and one ride along with the Hi-Hat. The price was great but I wanted my toms to be a bit bigger. After all I had a top of the line TAMA Kit with all of the extras so I wanted to get something nice that I would love. So the search continued.. After pouring through lots and lots of other kits the DM10X kit came to my attention. I loved the fact that it had two 10" toms and two 12" toms along with a 12" snare. The Alesis units have the real head drum heads which are quite a bit louder than the Roland mesh heads but still nowhere close to as loud as an accoustic drum kit. I also found out that AFTER my warranty was up I could fairly easily convert the heads over to mesh. I decided to go with the DM10X so I ordered it and waited for it to show up at my place. When it arrived it was in one big box. At first glance I thought to myself "there is no way the whole kit is in here" I unboxed it and put it together and low and behold.. Its all there and she is beautiful. What a great looking kit this is. (I had not actually seen the DM10X in person) Setup and assembly were a breeze. I plugged it in and started jamming away and my neighbors knew none the better. I realized fairly quickly that my style of playing would require some calibrating. after reading the manual I jumped right in and after a few hours of messing around with it i had the kit calibrated to my exact style and man was it awesome. I can play through the night and no one is the wiser.
71 of 73 people (97.26%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Awesome cant get enough!!" submitted January 24, 2013

By Isaac P in Brooklyn, NY
Musical Background: Drumming 18 years
Music Style: heavy rock, metal, pop
Overall: let me start off by saying that I upgraded from an alesis dm6 session which i really liked, well right? how in the world did I like it? I'm not a beginner I'm drumming for 18 years now, and conditions of me living in an apartment with neighbors made me buy an electric kit, so my acoustic kit is just sitting in my studio and this baby is home! it does make noise, its not as quiet as the dm6 especially the kick pad is the loudest, theres no way I can jam late nights but I dont really wanna convert to mesh pads, the rack is nice and the accessories the parts are top notch, I really like that they finally took off the snare from the rack, and put it in its own stand, cymbals are meant to be dual zone, the ride is tripple zone, the rim sound, the bell and the rebound bell, however im disappointed the rebound bell has too much crosstalk, one other thing I loved was that with this kit you can actually play cross stick rimshots, its pretty cool, the cymbals are supposed to be chokable, well only one crash chokes and only if you grab it firmly at the edge, the ride does not choke and the second crash doesnt either, the dm10 module is just amazing, I didnt even have to use external triggers, it has 100 kits, to be honest I use basically 5 out of the 100 and so will you, the accoustic kits sounds are excellent, and i mean really good I am really choosy when it comes to quality sound, Iv'e tried the roland, no comparison the alesis has it when it comes to sound, just great beautiful sounds, just too much reverb and all that but just a couple of hours you can tweak it the way you want, actually thats one of my problems, when you turn off the module you would have to reset next time you turn it on, whatever oh so it took me like a half hour to assemble, and I dont build maybe you do so its gonna take you less, and im sitting on this ever since..... zzounds is the best they got me the best affordable price, I'm literally wowed by their service, wont think twice where to buy my next instrument!! thanks !! drum rolllllllllllll
27 of 28 people (96.43%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Alesis DM10X Kit" submitted October 20, 2013

By David N in West Bloomfield, MI
Musical Background: Piano, Drums
Music Style: Rock, Metal, Classic rock, Blues
Sound: Excellent. While you can purchase different sound kits through various websites, the kits included with the DM10 module are great. Feature: Dual zone technology and the DM10 module make this a great kit. The rack is great, drums sound great and do not move even when rocking out hard on the drums! Ease of Use: The directions are fairly limited, but assembly was pretty self explanatory anyhow. I was able to download the entire Alesis manual from the website and It has more information than you should need. Quality: Excellent. Value: Definitely worth the price. Zzounds matched the best price I found online and I saved enough to buy the Tama pedals that I wanted. The Wow Factor: Looks professional, size and layout is great compared to similar e-drum kits with tiny little rubber pads. Overall: After looking at all of the available options such as Roland, Yamaha and Alesis, I decided that the Alesis DM10X kit was the best value for the money. Once I received it, I was not disappointed! Easy to set up, the rack system that came with it was great, nicer than the DM10 studio rack, the 10" and 12" drums were nice and it didn't take me long to get it up and running. After a quick software update available through alesis website, I was playing with 100 different sounding kits. One of the best purchases I have made in a long time! Highly recommend.

"NIce set" submitted December 19, 2013

By Drumwraith 1 in Atlanta, GA
Overall
Musical Background: Professional drummer/percussionist, enough piano/keyboard skills to fool people, some guitar
Music Style: Jazz Fusion first, but whatever someone needs for me to play
Overall: I have been using the kit for a couple of weeks now, so far just with the preset sounds. I haven't gotten to much editing other than initial sensitivety level setting, etc. I'm hoping you can edit details like individual drum depth as with previous Roland sets I've owned. So far they sound really nice for the price. I've read several reviews mentioning difficulty setting up and a bad learning curve. I think manufacturers assume that drummers above beginner level have become hardware experts by now and should be able to figure out basic tubes, screws, nuts and bolts. Beginners should probably stick to basic kits like Simmons, etc.Notes for pros: Expert drummers have developed efficiency and power in their stroke and kick so you may want to consider some modifications.*The kick pad stand is pretty wimpy. The stock stabilizer/anchor screws aren't long enough when using pro pedals. I had to use the longer screws from a practice kick pad and use washers for spacers on the leveling screws to keep the unit from wabbling around. Mine is fine now, but the stock setup is definitely not for pros.Snare stand: Don't even consider using this. It sort of reminds me of my old hardware from the 60's....very light duty. It bounces and doesn't adjust very high. I"m used to using a vintage 9" depth Tama snare so I probably keep mine a little higher than most folks, but even so this stand doesn't adjust high by any standards. Heads: They feel very real to me and I honestly haven't noticed much difference from acoustic drums. The stand system holds the toms securely so they don't bounce around. You get about the same feel as acoustic, just a smaller target. The ability to loosen or tighten is nice, especially with the next modification I mention.Rims: The stock rims are cheap and chop wood like a hatchet. If you use rims you will need to modify. I went through a couple of pairs of my nice Vic Firth Dave Weckl sticks before I decided to do something different. I swapped with some nice rims from an older set of Tama Starclassics for the snare and 2nd tom. I hit a lot of snare rimshots and will use the tom rim a lot for cowbell and percussion so I just changed those two drums out. The 12" tom rim on the Starclassics fit perfectly and so did the lugs. This made a huge difference in both feel and function, but didn't affect sound or rim triggering at all. I love it!Cymbals and high hat: They actually sound pretty good for electronics and feel good to me...I've used most every type of acoustic cymbal, vintage and new. I have noticed some electronic swirl here and there but if I wanted to get real serious I'd use acoustic cymbals. The high hat pedal/sensor is ok but you really have to be conscious of the triggering in order to get the open/close right....not bad as electronics go but I wouldn't count on this for fast high hat action when definition is a real factor.Live play: I'm only using them for a rehearsal kit and demo recording so I can't say for sure how they would fare. Having tried to use other electronic kits for live shows, I just know better than to mess with it. They would probably be great live in a house situation like a church or house set, but you'd have to have a really serious PA and definitely serious monitor system to get by with anything other than light drum work, live. If you have to compete with bass and guitar amps with much power, you are going to have to deal with much more equipment to be heard or felt...than you would with an acoustic set. For example, I was trying to use a Roland Pro Series kit for a while. It sounded great at home with a good drum amp and running through a PA. But onstage I felt the need for more sound right away...especially bottom end. Don't forget that you not only need to hear and feel the drums, the rest of the band needs to hear and feel the drums. It takes a lot of equipment to produce that with electronic drums except in very light situations.Overall I can rate these drums very highly for what I plan to use them for. They sound good for demo recording and are very excellent for practice...without so much damaging impact on wrist, elbow and shoulder joints. Don't wait till you reach my age to start thinking about that.

"Amazing Value!" submitted November 18, 2013

By JB W in BOSTON, MA
Overall
Musical Background: PLAYING DRUMS FOR AROUND 50 YEARS.
Music Style: PROGRESSIVE ROCK
Sound: Sound out of the box is fantastic. To tweak each sensor as desired takes lots of time but is simple and advise taking notes for settings and tips. Feature: Great build quality and rock solid. Will need a 4 x 8 carpet to anchor hi hay and kick pedals. Ease of Use: Electrics take a while to program to achieve the exact sound desired. But you have 100 different kits and a dozen sound great and can be used as a foundation. Again takes notes. Quality: Great solid hardware and set-up. Could be used for gigging out and that's saying something as far as hardware integrity. Value: Amazing deal...found low price. zzounds beat it by $50 and $300 rebate to boot. Whole kit was less than my acoustic snare cost alone. Manufacturer Support: UNKNOWN The Wow Factor: Roland and Yamaha are great but who wants to shell out 5K or more for a set of sensors. This kit is amazing and is definitely gig-able, Overall: Went round and round on Electronic Drums. Roland, Yamaha etc. With the rebate and price of these couldn't pass up. I've never played electrics before. One thing is clear above all else. Acoustic drums and electrics are really two different instruments in playing, approach and philosophy. Tis , above all needs to be known before getting into these.

"Alesis dm10x pro kit" submitted April 25, 2014

By Severino Almorado in Rockaway, NJ
Overall
Musical Background: Mainly drums I jam with my band once a month and sometimes play at parties. Guitar and bass, occasionally
Music Style: I'm a drum addict, I play em all!!
Overall: I stumbled on your website from a link on amazon when I was window shopping for a drum kit that I couldn't afford. I was very surprised with the pay as you play program and I jumped at the chance right away. I was pleasantly surprised at the speed of the delivery and if it wasn't for you guys I wouldn't get my dream kit. Thank you, thank you, thank you for being awesome and I look forward to getting more stuff from you guys. From now on I will only buy musical instruments from zzounds.com

"Alesis DM10X" submitted July 22, 2014

By John P in Florence, OR
Musical Background: 45 years of music; keyboards, bass, drums
Music Style: Jazz, fusion, R&B, Blues,electronica
Overall: After years of contemplating getting into an electronic kit, I finally took the plunge and ordered the DM10X kit. The 4-payment scheme is nice - thank you for that ZZounds. The kit arrived in a huge box along with the accessories I had ordered with the kit. The shipping time was FAST and the order arrived as was indicated it would when I ordered. Now the fun part. I opened the huge box and found a nicely packed drum kit ready for me to assemble. Assembly was quick and easy and I had the kit operating in less than an hour. What fun! I have had this kit for 2-weeks now and have been exploring the sounds and controls. I have tweaked the module as needed for each of the kits that I have voiced and am impressed with the sounds. I have run the kit through a Simmons DA200S amp and it just sounds stellar. I have also run the kit through a large PA system and again, the kit sounds great. I am a retired motorsports engineer so I cannot leave things alone...I bought a spare 12" drum pad for experimental purposes as I wanted to convert the kit to mesh heads. I have a solution that does not void the warranty and is along the same thought as another conversion I studied out of Germany. No cones or other silliness, just a straight forward drum head change with the edition of a specific foam material of a specific density and durometer - Sounds really sweet now and with better sensitivity. Love this kit!

"Alesis DM10X Kit Electronic Drum Set" submitted October 3, 2012

By john grandbois in bottineau, ND
Overall
Musical Background: garage/basements/parties, been playing for about 25yrs. Bass guitar & drums...
Music Style: rock & metal, but I can mellow out too ;D
Overall: I am very satisfied with my purchase!! I am an apartment dweller and I have been banging on my kit for a couple/few weeks now & I have ZERO complaints ;D

"Awesone Apartment Unit" submitted December 20, 2013

By Peter J
Overall
Overall: I am getting back into playing again after 15yrs., it's sad how bad I am at paradiddles now. Anyway, this is about the best for the buck after all my research. There are few little quirks ( like the hit hat calibration or sound levels for each drum not staying place after a power cycle) but beyond that; the frame is great and solid, the sounds are good and there's plenty of things to adjust like sensitivity and threshold. Make sure to look online on how to update this firmware and sounds on this thing. The instructions are not awesome but they are also not bad either, they get the job done. Also, you can't go wrong with ZZOUNDS, their people are super friendly and help full and shipment was spot on.

"Went out after 1 week!!" submitted March 24, 2014

By Joseph McPeek in Pasadena , TX
Musical Background: Rock
Overall: After owning the DMxKit for only a week, the bass drum trigger went out!! Only good thing was I only had to send the bass drum trigger back to receive a new one. So far it has been three weeks and haven't received my new one yet.

"Alesis DM10 X " submitted September 10, 2012

By Steve G in New York, NY
Overall
Musical Background: Played drums for several periods of time over the past 45 years
Music Style: Rock, Blues, R&B
Overall: Purchased this kit to begin playing after a hiatus from playing on acoustic I am totally blown away by the feel, flexibility and sound of these drums I live in an apartment in NYC, play through headphones and the sound is not disturbing to my neighbors. The quality exceeded expectations The look amazing and I Love playing again!

"ALESIS PRO 6 PEICE ELECTRONIC DRUM SET" submitted July 9, 2014

By CLAYTON COURVILLE in OPELOUSAS, LA
Musical Background: I PLAY GUITAR AND MY 4 BROTHERS PLAY AND TWO PLAY IN A BAND
Music Style: ROCK, COUNTRY AND BLUES
Overall: THE SET IS OK, BUT I AM HAVING A LOT OF TROUBLE CAL. THE HI-HAT AND RESETTING THE DRUMS TO FACTORY SETTING

"kick drum fail" submitted December 2, 2013

By Ross S in White Lake, MI
Musical Background: 7 + years
Music Style: blues, rock, folk
Overall: Overall the kit is great but the kick drum has a mind of its own. It only works if you mash it. I have had the kit for a month and used it 3 times for a combined time of 2 hours and the kick drum hardly works now. I don't have a heavy foot and my pedal is padded so it is not like I am beating on this thing. When you pay $1400 for a kit you expect everything to work...

When you call, mention priority code 154F-3XB0. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976