Crank Up The Character on Every Recording with This Colorful Pre!
The Warm Audio TB12 Tone Beast microphone preamplifier offers you a rainbow of tonal colors to choose from. Switch between Tantalum and Electrolytic capacitors for different capacitor character, 100% steel and 50% nickel CineMag output transformers for a different transformer sound, or go transformer-less with a transformer bypass switch -- you've got many discrete signal paths at your fingertips. As if that isn't enough, you also have either the classic 1731 or the 918 style op-amp to choose from. Other must-have features on this beast include a polarity reverse switch, an 80 Hz high-pass filter switch, an easy-to-read LED UV meter, an insert for inline processors, and a -20 dB pad switch. This preamp is a total steal for what it'll bring to your recording setup.
Watch out our exclusive overview of the Warm Audio TB12 Tone Beast Microphone Preamplifier:
An Almost Endless Number of Paths for your Discrete Signal
Choose your destiny -- your TB12 gives your multiple paths to choose from to give your discrete signal a different character through each avenue. The Melcor 1731-style op-amp breaks up evenly and has a nice color to it when your start pushing your signal, and your Jensen 918-style op-amp has a little bit more cleanliness to it. Your 50% nickel transformer pushes your higher and lower frequencies a bit more, while the 100% steel transformer will give your signal more color and body overall. You can also bypass both transformers, resulting in an 8 dB level loss and a cleaner signal.
Using Your TB12's Circuitry to Tweak Your Sound
As if the Tone Beast's wealth of different paths weren't enough, you can also swap your capacitors for more subtle tonal differences. Tantalum capacitors are used with the "vintage" setting, and electrolytic are employed for the cleaner setting. The difference is very subtle and can be better heard when you push your TB12 further into distortion.
Mad Line of Controls
You'll get addicted to the degree of fine-tuning that your TB12 lets you play around with. Your input control section has all the usual suspects: a Hi-Z button for your input, a line button, your phantom power switch, your 20 dB pad switch, a reverse polarity switch, and your 80 Hz high-pass filter switch. Your tone control section hosts your op-amp switch, a +6 dB tone button, your vintage/clean capacitor button, your output transformer bypass button, and your steel/nickel output transformer selector switch.
Finally, your gain and saturation section features a gain control and an output level control next to an easy-to-read and colorful LED UV meter. You can drive this baby pretty hard, while keeping your output signal low enough to keep things in check once your signal leaves your TB12. Using your tone control section in conjunction with your gain and saturation section, you can manipulate your signal more with this Tone Beast than just about any other preamp you're likely to find in your rack.
High-end Performance at a Steal
You'll struggle to find another preamp that offers so many settings and features in this price range. Your Warm Audio TB12 Tone Beast takes your signal and pumps it through a confident collection of optional paths to give your sound a wide scope to explore. You can dial in anything from a subtle boost to an intense wall of fuzz and distortion. With this bad boy, you'll be exploring sonic options for hours on end.
- Discrete 312 preamp design with multiple signal paths
- Switch between 100% steel and 50% nickel CineMag output transformers for different signal character
- 71 dB of gain
- Polarity reverse switch
- 80 Hz high-pass filter switch
- Easy to read LED UV meter
- One XLR and TRS input/output
- +48V phantom power
- Transformer bypass switch for output transformer-less signal
- Switch between Tantalum and Electrolytic capacitors for different capacitor character
- Discrete op-amp selection of both the classic 1731 and 918 style op-amps
- Output attenuator for saturation flexibility of both transformers and op-amps
- 20 dB pad
- Insert for inline processors
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Warm Audio products.
- Utilizes premium grade CineMag USA Transformers.
- 71db of gain.
- Transformer selection provides both Steel and 50% Nickel CineMag output transformers for varying character.
- Transformer bypass switch allows for removal of the output transformer from the circuit.
- Discrete Opamp selection allows for choosing between a 1731(vintage) and 918(cleaner) style opamp. These are socketed/swappable with your choice of 2520 6 pin footprint opamps.
- Impedance switch labeled TONE to switch between 150 and 600 ohms input impedance.
- 2 Meg Ohm True HI-Z input on front panel sends instrument signal through entire circuit including both Cinemag Transformers and the discrete operational amplifier. Great for guitars, bass, keyboards and other instruments that have a 1/4\0x2033 output jack.
- Capacitor selection between Tantalum and Electrolytic for different characters.
- 80hz hipass filter.
- Polarity Reverse.
- +48V phantom power.
- Output attenuation allowing for saturation flexibility of both the opamps and transformers.
- 1/4" insert for the use of inline compressors, eq's etc.
- Balanced XLR mic (front and back), balanced TRS line, and 1/4" instrument inputs.
- Balanced XLR and TRS outputs.
- -20db Pad.
- LED VU Meter.
- 19" rackmountable.
- External line-lump 24V AC power transformer for low noise.
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):