Get Clean, Articulate Audio for Your Desktop Studio or Mobile Rig!About the size of your palm, the portable RME Babyface USB 2.0 audio interface is truly grab and go, offering extensive I/O via its breakout cable. The 10-in/12-out desktop interface boasts an analog circuit design highlighted by 192 kHz A/D and D/A converters, 2 reference-class microphone preamps, integrated MIDI I/O, LED metering, low-latency USB performance, and much more. As it won't take up much real estate on your desk or in your bag, the RME Babyface is an excellent addition to any setup. A smaller sibling to RME's famous Fireface line of interfaces, this Baby connects to your computer via USB.
Analog Design Meets Digital ConvenienceThanks to RME's analog circuit design, the balanced XLR ins and outs and the TRS headphones outputs on the Babyface are made to deliver superior low noise and low distortion. The audio interface's A/D/D/A converters provide sample rates up to 192 kHz with a dynamic range of up to 115 dBA, while jitter reduction and SteadyClock supply pristine sound quality, whether clocking to an external digital source or the Babyface.
High-End Mic PresWith two digitally controlled XLR mic preamps with individually switchable +48V phantom power onboard, the Babyface is one portable audio interface you can rely on to deliver outstanding stereo recordings. (Well, if your recordings are less than optimal, don't blame the gear!) The mic pres offer up to 60 dB of gain, adjustable in steps of 3 dB over a range of 51 dB; exceptional EIN performance even at low amplification settings; and low total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N) values for accurate sound reproduction. You can recall all level settings in the setup software, as well as adjust all settings directly on the unit.
Digital I/ORounding out the interface's many I/O options, the Babyface includes an optical TOSLINK I/O, usable as ADAT port with SMUX support or SPDIF optical at up to 192 kHz resolution. When used in combination with an outboard ADAT converter, the Babyface provides a total of 10 analog input and 12 output channels!
High Five for Hi-ZOne of the features that makes the Babyface such a great desktop interface is its built-in Hi-Z 1/4" input. Recording your guitar or bass is as easy as plugging in your instrument cable to the side of this Baby and switching to Hi-Z input mode. Likewise, integrated MIDI I/O gives you the freedom to use the Babyface with any MIDI-equipped instrument.
Headphones OutputFor headphone monitoring, the Babyface sports an additional headphone output, which is driven from a separate D/A converter and is available not only directly at the unit but also at the breakout cable. Plug in and enjoy high-quality audio. You can easily adjust and control the phones level by clicking the select button and tweaking the large main volume knob.
Simple, Straightforward ControlOperate all major functions with just one hand -- the Babyface's efficient layout includes just one main control knob and two single buttons, providing direct hands-on control for all tasks, from volume control and reference volume store and recall to volume dim, input selection/switching, and input gain control.
A quick glance at the Babyface is all you need to see what's going on with the unit. Helpful LED bars serve as both level and gain meters, giving you visual indication of all inputs, outputs, and headphone levels directly on the interface.
Features:- Portable 10x2 USB audio interface
- Compatible with both Mac and PC computers
- 2 Analog inputs/4 Analog outputs
- 1 ADAT I/O or 1 SPDIF I/O optical
- 1 MIDI I/O via breakout cable (2 x 5-pin DIN jacks), for 16 channels low jitter hi-speed MIDI
- 1 USB 2.0
- 192 kHz A/D/D/A conversion
- 2 High-quality XLR mic preamps with phantom power and digitally controlled gain
- Hi-Z input available on 1 channel for recording guitars or other high-impedance sources
- TotalMix FX (with EQ, Reverb, Echo)
- 1 Headphones output (separate DA conversion)
- Ultra low latency
- Simple to use interface with 2 main control knob and 2 buttons
- LED metering for visual tracking
zZounds is an authorized dealer of RME products.
- Input AD: 2 x XLR (2 x Mic/Line), servo-balanced.
- Output DA (Main, 2 Channels): 2 x XLR, servo-balanced
- Output DA (Phones, 2 Channels): 2 x 1/4" TRS (Stereo), unbalanced (on breakout cable and interface)
- Input Digital: 1 x ADAT optical or SPDIF optical
- Output Digital: 1 x ADAT optical or SPDIF optical
- MIDI: 1 x MIDI I/O via breakout cable (2 x 5-pin DIN jacks), for 16 channels low jitter hi-speed MIDI
- Dynamic range AD: 108 dB RMS unweighted, 111 dBA
- THD AD: < -100 dB (< 0.001 %)
- THD+N AD: < -98 dB (< 0.0012 %)
- Crosstalk AD: > 110 dB
- Dynamic range DA: 112 dB RMS unweighted, 115 dBA
- THD DA: < -104 dB (< 0.00063%)
- THD+N DA: < -100 dB (< 0.001%)
- Crosstalk DA: > 110 dB
- Maximum Input Level for 0 dBFS: +12 dBu
- Maximum Output Level @ 0 dBFS Line: +15 dBu
- Maximum Output Level @ 0 dBFS Phones: +8 dBu
- Sample rate internally: 32, 44.1, 48, 64, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4, 192 kHz
- Sample rate externally: 28 kHz - 200 kHz
- Frequency response AD, -0.5 dB: 50 Hz - 20.9 kHz (sf 44.1 kHz)
- Frequency response AD, -0.5 dB: 50 Hz - 45.3 kHz (sf 96 kHz)
- Frequency response AD, -1 dB: 30 Hz - 90 kHz (sf 192 kHz)
- Frequency response DA, -0.5 dB: 10 Hz - 22 kHz (sf 44.1 kHz)
- Frequency response DA, -0.5 dB: 10 Hz - 45 kHz (sf 96 kHz)
- Frequency response DA, -1 dB: 5 Hz - 80 kHz (sf 192 kHz)
- Jitter: Typical < 1 ns for internal, ADAT in
- Jitter suppression: >30 dB (2.4 kHz)
- Jitter sensitivity: PLL operates error-free even at 100 ns
- Driver support
- - Windows 7 / Vista / XP SP2 (32 & 64 bit)
- - Apple Mac OS X 10.5 or up (Core Audio)
- 10 Input / 12 Output channels
- 2 x Analog Input
- 4 x Analog Output
- 1 x ADAT I/O or 1 x SPDIF I/O optical
- 1 x MIDI I/O
- 1 x USB 2.0
- 2 x Mic Preamp with digitally controlled gain
- 1 x Hi-Z instrument input
- TotalMix FX (with EQ, Reverb, Echo)
RME offers a warranty of 2 years from original date of purchase from the dealer with proof of purchase.
If you have additional warranty questions, please contact the manufacturer at 330-259-0308
Product DescriptionThe RME Babyface is smooth on the outside and powerful on the inside, with 192 kHz AD and DA converters, two reference class microphone preamps, and SteadyClock. The analog circuit design, features and function are truly RME.
The Babyface uses RME's Hammerfall USB audio core from the Fireface UC -- another milestone in low latency audio interfaces. It will give you outstanding performance and top sound in an ultra-portable, nicely designed and attractively shaped enclosure.
Analog I/OsThe balanced XLR I/Os and the TRS phones outputs use RME's analog circuit design, therefore guarantee outstanding noise and distortion values. The AD/DA converters provide sample rates up to 192 kHz with a signal-to-noise ratio of up to 115 dBA. Due to its efficient jitter reduction, SteadyClock(TM) guarantees pristine sound quality, even when clocking to an external digital source.
Two High-End Mic PreampsBoth digitally controlled preamps provide individually switchable 48V phantom power. A gain of up to 60 dB, adjustable in steps of 3 dB over a range of 51 dB, exceptional EIN performance even at low amplification settings, and extremely low THD+N values let these preamps surpass those of other devices that cost several times the price of the Babyface. All level settings are 100% recallable by the setup software and can be comfortably adjusted directly at the unit.
Digital I/OThe incredible feature set includes an optical TOSLINK I/O, usable as ADAT port with SMUX support or SPDIF optical at up to 192 kHz. In combination with an ADAT converter, like RME ADI-8 QS or OctaMic II, the Babyface provides an incredible 10 analog input and 12 output channels.
Headphones OutputThe additional headphone output, driven from a separate and dedicated DA converter, delivers the full sonic experience of up to 192 kHz and is available not only directly at the unit but also at the breakout cable. The phones level is easy to adjust and control with a simple click of the select button and the main volume knob.
Hi-Z Instrument InputDirectly plug in your guitar or other instruments by switching one input to Hi-Z input mode. Recording any instrument becomes a breeze and does not require any other hardware.
MIDI I/OThe integrated MIDI I/O completes the list of features and turns the Babyface into a creative audio system of universal usability. Do what you want - wherever you want!
Desktop Volume Control and MoreWith one main control knob and two single buttons, the elegant Babyface acts as a perfectly designed direct desktop control for all typical studio tasks: volume control, reference volume store and recall, volume dim, input selection/switching, input gain control.
LED MeteringQuick and easy access to all functions has been a major point during design and development. The LED bars serve as both level and gain meters, visually supporting the precise control of all inputs, outputs and headphone levels directly at the interface.
Ultra-Low-Latency USBThe Babyface provides RME's unmatched USB pro audio technology for revolutionary ultra-low latencies on Mac and PC, by using two different optimized firmware versions for both operating systems. Like other RME USB 2.0* interfaces, the Babyface provides revolutionary ultra-low latencies even with multiple channels. The Babyface achieves latency values down to 48 samples on Windows and 14 samples on Mac OS X.*** The Babyface is compatible to USB 3 chipsets.** Minimal latencies are not guaranteed as they depend on the specific computer and application.*