The RME Babyface is smooth on the outside and powerful on the inside, with 192 kHz AD and DA converters, two reference class microphone preamps, and SteadyClock. The analog circuit design, features and function are truly RME.
The Babyface uses RME's Hammerfall USB audio core from the Fireface UC -- another milestone in low latency audio interfaces. It will give you outstanding performance and top sound in an ultra-portable, nicely designed and attractively shaped enclosure.
The balanced XLR I/Os and the TRS phones outputs use RME's analog circuit design, therefore guarantee outstanding noise and distortion values. The AD/DA converters provide sample rates up to 192 kHz with a signal-to-noise ratio of up to 115 dBA. Due to its efficient jitter reduction, SteadyClock(TM) guarantees pristine sound quality, even when clocking to an external digital source.
Two High-End Mic Preamps
Both digitally controlled preamps provide individually switchable 48V phantom power. A gain of up to 60 dB, adjustable in steps of 3 dB over a range of 51 dB, exceptional EIN performance even at low amplification settings, and extremely low THD+N values let these preamps surpass those of other devices that cost several times the price of the Babyface. All level settings are 100% recallable by the setup software and can be comfortably adjusted directly at the unit.
The incredible feature set includes an optical TOSLINK I/O, usable as ADAT port with SMUX support or SPDIF optical at up to 192 kHz. In combination with an ADAT converter, like RME ADI-8 QS or OctaMic II, the Babyface provides an incredible 10 analog input and 12 output channels.
The additional headphone output, driven from a separate and dedicated DA converter, delivers the full sonic experience of up to 192 kHz and is available not only directly at the unit but also at the breakout cable. The phones level is easy to adjust and control with a simple click of the select button and the main volume knob.
Hi-Z Instrument Input
Directly plug in your guitar or other instruments by switching one input to Hi-Z input mode. Recording any instrument becomes a breeze and does not require any other hardware.
The integrated MIDI I/O completes the list of features and turns the Babyface into a creative audio system of universal usability. Do what you want - wherever you want!
Desktop Volume Control and More
With one main control knob and two single buttons, the elegant Babyface acts as a perfectly designed direct desktop control for all typical studio tasks: volume control, reference volume store and recall, volume dim, input selection/switching, input gain control.
Quick and easy access to all functions has been a major point during design and development. The LED bars serve as both level and gain meters, visually supporting the precise control of all inputs, outputs and headphone levels directly at the interface.
The Babyface provides RME's unmatched USB pro audio technology for revolutionary ultra-low latencies on Mac and PC, by using two different optimized firmware versions for both operating systems. Like other RME USB 2.0* interfaces, the Babyface provides revolutionary ultra-low latencies even with multiple channels. The Babyface achieves latency values down to 48 samples on Windows and 14 samples on Mac OS X.*** The Babyface is compatible to USB 3 chipsets.** Minimal latencies are not guaranteed as they depend on the specific computer and application.*
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
- Input AD: 2 x XLR (2 x Mic/Line), servo-balanced.
- Output DA (Main, 2 Channels): 2 x XLR, servo-balanced
- Output DA (Phones, 2 Channels): 2 x 1/4" TRS (Stereo), unbalanced (on breakout cable and interface)
- Input Digital: 1 x ADAT optical or SPDIF optical
- Output Digital: 1 x ADAT optical or SPDIF optical
- MIDI: 1 x MIDI I/O via breakout cable (2 x 5-pin DIN jacks), for 16 channels low jitter hi-speed MIDI
- Dynamic range AD: 108 dB RMS unweighted, 111 dBA
- THD AD: < -100 dB (< 0.001 %)
- THD+N AD: < -98 dB (< 0.0012 %)
- Crosstalk AD: > 110 dB
- Dynamic range DA: 112 dB RMS unweighted, 115 dBA
- THD DA: < -104 dB (< 0.00063%)
- THD+N DA: < -100 dB (< 0.001%)
- Crosstalk DA: > 110 dB
- Maximum Input Level for 0 dBFS: +12 dBu
- Maximum Output Level @ 0 dBFS Line: +15 dBu
- Maximum Output Level @ 0 dBFS Phones: +8 dBu
- Sample rate internally: 32, 44.1, 48, 64, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4, 192 kHz
- Sample rate externally: 28 kHz - 200 kHz
- Frequency response AD, -0.5 dB: 50 Hz - 20.9 kHz (sf 44.1 kHz)
- Frequency response AD, -0.5 dB: 50 Hz - 45.3 kHz (sf 96 kHz)
- Frequency response AD, -1 dB: 30 Hz - 90 kHz (sf 192 kHz)
- Frequency response DA, -0.5 dB: 10 Hz - 22 kHz (sf 44.1 kHz)
- Frequency response DA, -0.5 dB: 10 Hz - 45 kHz (sf 96 kHz)
- Frequency response DA, -1 dB: 5 Hz - 80 kHz (sf 192 kHz)
- Jitter: Typical < 1 ns for internal, ADAT in
- Jitter suppression: >30 dB (2.4 kHz)
- Jitter sensitivity: PLL operates error-free even at 100 ns
- Driver support
- - Windows 7 / Vista / XP SP2 (32 & 64 bit)
- - Apple Mac OS X 10.5 or up (Core Audio)
- 10 Input / 12 Output channels
- 2 x Analog Input
- 4 x Analog Output
- 1 x ADAT I/O or 1 x SPDIF I/O optical
- 1 x MIDI I/O
- 1 x USB 2.0
- 2 x Mic Preamp with digitally controlled gain
- 1 x Hi-Z instrument input
- TotalMix FX (with EQ, Reverb, Echo)
- Dimensions and Weight in Packaging
- Shipping Weight: 4 lbs
- Shipping Weight: 4 lbs