Propellerhead Reason 6.5 is an integrated software music recording and production studio with audio recording, million-dollar mixing and EQs, and all the instruments, sounds and effects you could ever dream of for writing, recording, remixing and producing great-sounding tracks.
What are Rack Extensions?
Rack Extensions are downloadable instruments and effects you can use to expand and personalize your Reason rig, by Propellerhead or others. Try it, buy it, and download it straight into your rack. With Rack Extensions the Reason rack opens up to third-party developers. This is not another plugin format - Rack Extensions are full Reason rack citizens, giving you the same great experience as any other Reason device. Load them in Combinators, route cables on the back, automate all parameters, and experiment with the safety of undo.
Browse all Rack Extensions in the Propellerhead Shop and even download fully functional trial versions to load into your rack. Every Rack Extension you have purchased can be downloaded as many times as you need - for both Mac and Windows - and the latest version is never more than a click away.
Rack Extensions are available in Reason 6.5 and Reason Essentials 1.5. For owners of Reason 6 or Reason Essentials, the upgrade is free.
Rack Extensions from Propellerhead
It's not just third-parties who are getting into the creation of Rack Extensions. Propellerhead Software is also releasing their own Rack Extension devices for Reason 6.5 and Reason Essentials 1.5.
Polar is an old school harmonizing and pitch-shifter effect with a host of modern tricks up its sleeves. Use it for classic harmonizing, stereo-widening, and real-time pitch shifting, or experiment with buffer looping and audio freezing to create otherworldly effects.
Load up Polar in the rack, and it will instantly make your sounds wider. Introduce slight pitch-shifting to make it even bigger. Turn the Shifters to add harmonics -- up to two octaves above, or two octaves below -- Finish up your patch by turning on the filter, manipulated by the built-in LFO and envelope.
If you are a singer, producer, guitarist or remixer who is looking for transparent pitch shifting, creative ways of turning bland recordings into wide, evolving soundscapes, or want to completely mangle a sound into an interesting mess, Polar brings all this and much more to your Reason rack.
Pulsar LGM-1 is a dual channel modulation powerhouse for the Reason rack. Propellerhead calls it an LFO--but it's also a powerful little synth in its own right. For tweakers, Pulsar makes every single thing in the rack a little bit better. For back-of-the-rackophobes it comes with patches containing everything from lush evolving pads to the grittiest of wobble basses.
Need to add slow modulation to a filter, or alter the speed of a tremolo as you trigger new notes? Pulsar is up for any task. Turn up the Shuffle parameter to introduce some irregularity to your modulation. Smooth out sharp waveforms using Lag. Or go all-out bonkers and let LFO2 trigger the built-in envelope, set to change the rate of LFO2, and route the combined outputs of both LFOs to control the rate of LFO1.
When the rate is turned up, Pulsar transforms from low frequency oscillator to high powered synth with plenty of character. The LFO waveforms in combination with lag and shuffle brings tons of tones--edgy and noisy.
The premise is simple. The results are stunning. Propellerhead gives you three basic pianos paired with the technology to make an infinite number of your own. Based on a custom blend between sampling technology and physical modeling algorithms, Radical Piano affords songwriters, producers, and sound designers an unprecedented level of control to craft a realistic piano that is 100% unique.
With Radical Piano you can do things that are otherwise impossible, not only in large sample libraries but even in the recording of actual acoustic pianos. Do you wish your close mic'd grand piano sounded just a little bit more like a vintage mono upright piano? Use the microphone blend to create a hybrid-modeled sound. Route audio like a vocal through the jacks on the back of Radical Piano to hear it resonate the strings as if you had recorded piano and vocals together live. What if with the turn of a knob you could transform the tonal characteristics of your piano, shifting from a soft intimate performance to a bright aggressive instrument that will cut through your mix? Propellerhead has that knob, and it's called "Character."
Radical Piano will change the way you use pianos in your music by allowing you to imagine a piano in a real space and set about creating it yourself through intuitive controls. Or like you have done with synthesizers for years, you can listen to your favorite song and emulate the recording with uncanny accuracy. Perhaps even more impressive, the realism of Radical Piano will affect the way you play because it responds like a real piano to sustain pedal movement, key noise and velocity response.
To use Rack Extensions, you need Reason 6.5 or Reason Essentials 1.5.
About Reason's Intuitive Virtual Rack Interface
At the heart of Reason is the virtual rack that builds itself as you create your song. Create instruments and effects and route them any way you want to. Add, delete, replace and tweak. Your rack is what you want it to be. Need more gear? No problem. Choose a synth, a drum machine, a loop player or any device from the Create menu and it will instantly appear in your rack, logically patched into the signal chain. And because Reason is designed to go easy on your computer, you can repeat the process until you're more than happy.
A single key press will turn the Reason rack around, and there you are, in patch cord heaven. Most audio connections are made automatically. When a new device is created, it appears immediately below the currently selected device, and Reason patches it into the system in the most logical way. Repatch by dragging the patch cord plug to the desired connector to build your own sounds - or tweak the included presets.
Each virtual rack unit is edited from its own on-screen front panel. All the sliders, knobs, buttons and functions are right in front of you, ready to be tweaked, turned and twisted in absolute real-time. And all your front panel actions - filter adjustments, pitch bending, gain riding or panning - can be recorded and automated in the Reason sequencer.
The fully equipped mixing desk adds a big studio signal chain to all your sound sources. The Reason mixing console's sound and signal processing was faithfully modeled after the legendary SSL 9000k analog mixing desk. Flexible routing, full dynamics, EQ, advanced effects handling, full automation and a 64-bit mix bus gives you that big studio sound right out of your computer. And yes, you do get that master-bus compression.
For guitar and bass players, Reason comes installed with separate guitar and bass POD amp modeling units from amp and cab simulation experts Line 6. With bass and guitar amplifiers available for every single track in your project, you are never short of interesting tones and timbres. As the Line 6 amplifiers are insert effects and don't affect the original instrument signal, you are free to change your amplifier and cabinet settings at any point in time-even after laying down your track.
The powerful sequencer is where you will find yourself doing most of the work. While keeping the ease of use that made Reason famous, it still comes with all the editing features you need. An audio channel, sequencer device or instrument gets its own dedicated track, with separate lanes for audio, notes, performance and automation data, opting for a better overview and less clutter.
All sequencer data - notes, automation, the works - is housed in clips; musical building blocks that can be opened, sliced or moved. When a clip is moved to a new location, all its internal data follows right along with it, always ending up exactly where you intended it to, for safe, speedy sequencing. The Tool window is an ever present floating window that provides lightning fast access to those detailed editing functions you use all the time; quantize, transpose, note velocity, note length and legato. Always in sync with your flow, forever adapting to you and your working methods, Reason's sequencer simply gets you there faster.
Finding your sound is an important part of the musical process. With Gigabytes of synths, samples, drum kits, and effects, the Reason sound bank is packed with everything you'll need from the start. Want more? Expand your palette with a world of ReFill libraries.
The legendary flow offered in Reason lets you stay focused on the music and explore your options as you go along. With a completely integrated environment like Reason, you will face fewer dialog boxes, more inspiration and more music. Reason is everything you need to turn good ideas into great songs.
Updates in Reason 6Unlimited Tracks
- Version 6 introduces unlimited hard disk tracks and rock solid audio recording in Reason.
Non-destructive Time Stretch and Pitch
- With the now legendary non-destructive time stretch record first and pick your tempo later. And with the audio transpose you can even record first and change the key later. Change the tempo of your song, and the audio follows right along.
Intuitive Audio Comping
- Reason 6.5 features Propellerhead's swift and easy to use comp editor. Building the ultimate vocal track is as simple as selecting the parts that work and muting the ones that don't.
- Pulveriser brings together crunchy compression, dirty distortion, a multimode filter and flexible modulation in a single sound-crunching effect. Crush, mangle, and destroy your sounds.
Brilliant Delay Effects
- The Echo is an advanced stereo echo bringing together the brilliance of modern delays with the organic sounds of analog circuitry and old-school tape machines.
- Alligator is a three channel pattern-based gate effect that turns bland pads into rhythmic textures, radically twists your loops, and tweaks boring beats into blockrocking breaks.
Neptune pitch correction and voice synth
- Neptune is an advanced pitch adjuster, audio transposer and voice synth for Reason 6, turning your performances into pitch-perfect ones in no time.
POD Guitar and Bass Modeling
- With the virtual guitar and bass POD modeling devices from amp and cab simulation experts Line 6 you are never short of interesting tones and timbres.
Easy Track Export
- Want to move your song over to your DAW? In one single click, Reason will export your separate mixer channels as individual audio stems, with or without effects. Need just the effects? No problem.
Expanded Sound Banks
- The included Factory Sound Bank has been expanded with thousands of patches and loops for Reason's instruments, and hundreds of patches for the Pulveriser, The Echo and Alligator effects. Finding your sound has never been easier.
- Kong Drum Designer
- Thor polysonic synthesizer
- NN19 sampler
- NN-XT advanced sampler
- Malstrom graintable synthesizer
- Dr. Octo Rex loop player
- Redrum pattern-based drum machine
- Subtractor analog subtractive synthesizer
- Combinator, for building chains of instruments, effects, and pattern sequencers.
- Alligator triple channel pattern based gate
- Pulveriser distortion, compressor and envelope follower module
- The Echo high quality stereo echo
- Neptune pitch corrector and voice synthesizer
- Line 6 virtual guitar amplifier
- Line 6 virtual bass amplifier
- RV-7 digital reverb
- DDL-1 digital delay line
- D-11 foldback distortion
- ECF-42 envelope-controlled filter
- DF-101 chorus/flanger
- PH-90 phaser
- COMP-01 compressor
- PEQ2 2-band EQ
- RV7000 advanced reverb
- Scream 4 Sound Destruction Unit
- BV512 vocoder with 4 to 512 bands and equalization
- UN16 unison
- 4-band mastering EQ
- Dual band stereo imager
- Stereo compressor with sidechain input, soft-knee mode and CV out
- Maximizer with look-ahead and soft clip
- Modeled mixing console with complete channel strip for every instrument and audio channel
- 4-band EQ
- 8 Send effects slots
- Insert effect slot
- Master compressor with sidechain input
- Dynamics section with compressor and gate
- Lo-pass and hi-passfilter
- Unlimited audio recording and instrument channels
- Fully featured high-precision multitrack sequencer with Blocks mode and audio comping tools
- High quality realtime time stretch & audio transpose
- Advanced exporting - export your separate mixer channels as individual audio stems, including effects and tempo track
- Live sampling
- RPG-8 Monophonic Arpeggiator
- ReGroove Mixer real-time groove console
- Matrix pattern-based sequencer
- 14 x 2 mixer w/ EQ and effects send/return
- 6:2 channel stereo line mixer
- Spider Audio Merger & Splitter
- Spider Control Voltage Merger & Splitter
- Remote mapping to external MIDI controllers and hardware control surfaces
- Comes with a huge factory sound bank, with patches for all Reason's devices, samples, and loops
- ReWire support
- Multicore support and 64-bit compatibility makes Reason fast and powerful on any computer
zZounds is an authorized dealer of