Novation's SL MkII 61-key controller is the flexible MIDI keyboard/DAW control surface musicians and producers have been waiting for, putting tactile control of every element of your software at your fingertips. Employing assignable encoders, buttons, faders and the X/Y Xpression touchpad, this semi-weighted controller (with aftertouch) ships from the factory with advanced mapping via Automap 4 PRO. Featuring templates and user programmable mappings, the 61SL MkII will improve your workflow for nearly every DAW, plugin and production environment you'll encounter in the studio, on stage, or working from your hotel room.
Robust Build, Pro Action
The SL MkII uses the same velocity-sensitive, semi-weighted action keyboard from Fatar employed in the original SL, a roadworthy set of keys ideal for synth players, without disappointing those used to organ action. With playable 'soft feel' drum pads and keys that respond like an instrument, it's quickly apparent that the SL MkII is no toy. Add USB bus powering, rock-solid encoders and sturdy faders and you've got yourself a professional controller that you won't be afraid to take out of the studio.
Control for Days
With a bank of 8 sturdy faders, 16 knobs -- 8 of which are continuous rotary encoders -- and 32 assignable backlit LED buttons, the 61SL Mk II leaves you in control of your digital workflow. The unique two-axis X/Y Xpression touchpad makes for expressive manipulation of multiple parameters simultaneously, and is conveniently located below the spring adjustable pitch/mod joystick. These controls, the dedicated, fully-assignable transport section, and footswitch/sustain pedal inputs are all easily routed to any parameter with the flexible Automap software.
Unprecedented Visual Feedback
Employing a bright 144-character LCD screen, Novation makes it easy to quickly identify which parameters are being manipulated, even during theater blackout in a dim pit. Bright red LEDs beneath the assignable buttons make toggle status unmistakable, and the 11-segment LED rings surrounding the continuous rotary encoders supplies clear information on an otherwise dark stage. Designed for maximum brightness with a minimum power draw, users can spend more time playing music and less time staring into screens, even when powering the unit solely via USB bus.
Professional Features For Professional Productions
Beyond the touch-sensitive controls and sturdy, semi-weighted action, the 61SL Mk II delivers a wide array of versatile features demanded by working professionals. In addition to the flexible mapping of the Automap 4 software, Novation has included the Xcite+ Bundle, a host of royalty-free loops and samples, a full-fledged soft-synth and Ableton Live 7 Lite, providing an affordable upgrade path to Ableton Live. The built in MIDI interface provides USB control over software synthesizers and DAW control, but with 1 MIDI in, 1 MIDI thru, and 2 MIDI outs, the 61SL Mk II, is an excellent companion to hardware units as well.
- Sturdy, responsive 61-key velocity-sensitive, semi-weighted keyboard
- 56 Touch-sensitive, fully mappable controls
- Illuminated buttons and a bright, 144-character LED display
- User-assignable Transport Section
- Spring-loaded Xpression pitch/mod joystick
- Unique, two axis X/Y Xpression touchpad
- Ships with flexible Automap 4 mapping software
- Energy efficient USB buss powering for use with or without an optional 9V DC power supply
- Versatile MIDI I/O, thru and USB control
- 16 'Soft-Feel' drum pads
- Sustain and Expression pedal inputs
- Includes Xcite+ sample and software bundle
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
- 8 Encoders (Infinite Rotation) with touch-sensitivity and 11 segment Led rings
- 8 Pots (270 Rotation) with touch-sensitivity
- 8 Sliders with touch-sensitivity
- 32 Buttons with integrated LEDs (37 in MIDI mode]
- 8 soft feel Trigger pads
- Xpression Pad (as on existing SL)
- Xpression Stick (as on existing SL)
- Touch sensitive Speed Dial (as on Nocturn)
- General Automap Operation Buttons (Learn, View, Browser Groups etc.)
- Octave up/down buttons with LED indicator
The central system buttons from the SL have been simplified; there is now:
- 1 Automap button with LED to toggle Automap mode on and off (this replaces the PLAY button) - this way, manual MIDI mode is separate from Automap mode and can be avoided completely if preferred
- Template and Edit modes have been combined into one edit mode, for editing both individual controls and overall settings within one TemplateConnectivity
Rear Panel connections are as follows:
- Data Port: 1 x USB (Win XP/Vista and Mac OSX - Not Class Compliant
- MIDI: MIDI ONE: IN, OUT and Thru, MIDI TWO: OUT
- Sustain Pedal: 1 x 1/4 Jack Input
- Expression pedal: 1 x 1/4 Jack Input
- Power switch: Ext DC/USBMinimum Operational Requirements (taken from Nocturn):
Mac OSX 10.4.0 or greater (Leopard also supported) or Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or greater (Vista 32/64 also supported)
Minimum Computer spec: Mac - G4/1GHz, both with 256MB RAM or PC - Pentium 3/1GHz/256MB RAM (machines running Vista will require a higher spec)
- Size (25 key): W=468mm, H=68mm, D=293mm
- Size (49 key): W=803mm, H=68mm, D=293mm
- Size (61 key): W=965mm, H=68mm, D=293mm
- 25SL net weight: 3.3kg /unit
- 49SL net weight: 5.2kg/unit
- 61SL net weight: 6.1kg / unitPower Supply:
USB Cable (Included) or AC Adaptor (Not Included - only required if using without computer)
- Dimensions and Weight in Packaging
- Base Item
- Shipping Weight: 18 lbs
If you have additional warranty questions,
please contact the manufacturer at 800-431-2609
61SL Mk II has been designed to equip the modern DAW user with every dimension of hardware control, enabling a hands-on approach to navigating software, mixing and controlling plug-ins. It represents extraordinary value as a controller, integrating a DAW control surface with a quality semi-weighted keyboard (with after-touch) and the most intuitive plug-in mapping capabilities available - presided over by Automap 3 PRO; unquestionably the most advanced control software on the market.
61SL Mk II upholds Novation's reputation for building quality hardware (like the 61SL Mk I, they will also appeal to performers who need a well-constructed keyboard on stage). Quality is not just reflected in their robustness, but more importantly in the way the 61SL Mk II has been designed with every detail calculated to maximise workflow. The 61SL Mk II's visually feeds back all controller information to the user with back lit buttons and encoder LED rings.
The difficulty with other control surfaces is knowing what is assigned to what. 61SL Mk II has a giant 144-character bright LCD screen that displays all the parameter names and values for the currently selected row of controllers. All 8 faders and 16 knobs are touch sensitive, so the moment one is touched, the display shows the names and values on that row and puts brackets around the controller that is currently being touched. This enables the user to see which parameter is assigned to the controller without having to change the value, or refer to their software. 61SL Mk II also has a dedicated 'Speed Dial' knob, which can be used to change the value of any parameter the cursor is positioned over without making any assignments whatsoever.
The 8 continuous rotary encoders have 11 segment LED rings around each of them, allowing encoders to behave like pots so the user can see the value before moving them. All the buttons have LEDs underneath them so users can instantly see their status without having to press them. There are 8 soft-feel drum pads, a pitch/modulation wheel and an X/Y Xpression touchpad which (along with footswitch and sustain pedal inputs), are all fully assignable to any parameter with the Automap software
The 61SL Mk II has been designed to draw minimum current so it can be used as a USB buss-powered device, and an optional 9V DC power supply can be added for stand-alone use. As well as USB interfacing, the 61SL Mk II has 1 MIDI in, 1 MIDI thru and 2 MIDI outs.
The power behind 61SL Mk II's unique ability to map controllers at the touch of a button, is contained within the included Automap software. Automap 3 PRO enables users to map controllers with incredible speed and ease - no more digging through MIDI continuous controller numbers, the Automap server takes care of it all. Automap's GUI gives the user a visual representation of all the current mappings on screen, as well as the ability to save and manage mappings across different projects. There is also an option to only bring up the GUI when a controller on the 61SL Mk II has been touched!
High Quality Professional Keyboard
It uses the same velocity-sensitive, semi-weighted action keyboard from Fatar that the orininal SL does, with assignable after-touch. Novation deliver the feeling of playing an instrument, rather than just a computer peripheral.
Illuminated Controls Provide Instant Visual Feedback
Brightly lit LED rings around the eight smooth encoders, and backlit buttons throughout provide instant visual feedback for every physical control, further reducing reliance on the computer screen.
Giant 144-Character LCD Screen
Frees the artist from being chained to the computer screen, placing all the essential data right alongside the relevant controls.
Huge Array of Touch-Sensitive Controls
Full control surface supporting flexible DAW control and Auto-mappable plug-in controls, 16 knobs, 8 faders and 32 assignable backlit LED buttons.
Automap 3 PRO Control Software
61SL Mk II comes with Automap software which enables you to instantly map software parameters to faders, buttons, encoders and pots and other controllers.
MIDI Control Interface
Built in MIDI I/O Interface and comprehensive MIDI implementation provide complete control over all external hardware synths and other external MIDI devices.
Novation's Unique 'Speed Dial'
A touch-sensitive rotary encoder that instantly takes control of whatever your mouse is focused on, providing real time access for composers and performers alike.
Programmable 'Soft-Feel' Drumpads
Eradicates the need for a separate set of drumpad triggers, providing the ideal platform for sketching out beats or triggering samples
Unique 2-Axis Controls
Fantastic 'Xpression' pad and adjustably sprung pitch/mod joystick, both freely assignable in MIDI Controlling mode
Dedicated, Yet Fully-Assignable Transport Buttons
Control the sequencer's start/stop/loop/record/forward/rewind actions, direct from the MIDI controller, reducing reliance on mouse and screen, or switch them out to allow use of more assignable buttons. 61SL Mk II recalls how these buttons were previously assigned.
USB Buss Powering
Provides the artist with a mobile MIDI control solution, freeing them from the confines of the studio
Includes the Xcite+ Bundle
Featuring a host of royalty-free loops and samples, a full-fledged soft-synth and Ableton Live 7 Lite, providing an affordable upgrade path to Ableton Live.
Featured in the Mk II:
- Mk II ships with Automap 3 PRO
- All dials and faders are now touch-sensitive
- All 61SL Mk II's buttons are illuminated
- Mk II features a single LED screen (as it now features the Automap Heads-up GUI)
- 61SL Mk II's top row of dials have 11-LED rings for instant feedback
- Top row of encoders are now smooth, rather than detented.
- 61SL Mk II's transport control buttons can also be used as fully assignable buttons.
- 61SL Mk II features 'soft-feel' drum pads.
- No longer features batteries
Note: 61SL MkII uses the original ReMOTE SL keyboard
USB Cable (Included) or AC Adaptor (Not Included - only required if using without computer)