MOTU 1248 Audio InterfaceThe MOTU 1248 Thunderbolt audio interface provides industry-leading dynamic range and large console style mixing. With 66 channels of audio I/O (32 ins and 34 outs), the 1248 also supports USB 2.0 audio class compliant connectivity that is USB 3.0 compatible. Powerful DSP delivers large console style mixing with 48 channels, 12 stereo busses, and 32-bit floating point effects processing, including modeled analog EQ, vintage compression and classic reverb. The unit's extensive routing grid patches ins to outs, or splits inputs to multiple destinations.
Use the 1248 as a stand-alone mixer and control everything from the 1248's innovative web app running on your iPad, iPhone, tablet, smart phone, and laptop. Connect a second MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M or 16A) with a simple Ethernet cable. Add more I/O with the MOTU AVB Switch (sold separately). Build an AVB audio network with multiple switches and sub-millisecond latency, even over long cable runs. Stream hundreds of channels among devices and computers on the network.
From initial tracking to final mastering, the 1248 delivers superb sound quality, state-of-the-art operation, and reliable performance.
The 1248 gives you everything you need to turn your computer into a powerful 24-bit/192 kHz digital audio workstation. As a "hybrid" audio interface, the 1248 provides flexible connectivity to your computer via ultra-fast Thunderbolt technology or high-speed USB2, with 30 channels of pristine analog I/O, combined with sixteen channels of ADAT optical digital I/O and stereo S/PDIF, for a total of 66 simultaneous audio channels.
The 1248 is equally well-suited for studio and stage, with or without a computer. As an interface or standalone mixer, the 1248 provides 32 separate inputs and 34 separate outputs, including four XLR mic inputs with individual preamps, two dedicated front-panel hi-Z guitar pickups, dedicated main outs and monitor outs, and two front panel headphone jacks.
Connect all of your studio gear, including microphones, guitars, synths, keyboards, drum machines and even effects processors. Record, monitor, route and process all of these live inputs using the professional on-board digital mixer - with no latency and no processor strain on your computer. Apply hardware DSP-driven effects processing to inputs, outputs, and busses independent of your host computer. Add Classic Reverb with lengths up to 60 seconds. Further sculpt your sound with 4-band parametric EQ carefully modeled after British analog console EQs. Choose between two forms of compression: a conventional compressor and the Leveler, an accurate model of the legendary LA-2A optical compressor that provides vintage, musical automatic gain control.
Add more MOTU interfaces as your needs grow, connected to a state-of-the-art audio network using standard AVB Ethernet switches and CAT-5e cabling, with near-zero network latency, even over long cable runs (several hundred meters). Record and monitor up to 128 audio channels in and out, simultaneously, to a host computer through Thunderbolt. Route hundreds of audio channels among multiple devices and computers on the network.
Features:- Control all DSP-based mixing and effects, device settings, and network audio routing from web app software running in your favorite browser on your laptop, tablet or smart phone connected wirelessly or locally to the 1248 audio network.
- From initial tracking to final mastering, the 1248 delivers superb sound quality, state-of-the-art operation, and reliable performance.
- Superb audio quality -- For example, the balanced TRS analog outputs produce 123 dB dynamic range and -110 dB THD+N (0.0003%) at -1 dBFS, Unweighted, 1 kHz.
- 66 simultaneous audio channels -- 4 mic inputs, 2 guitar inputs, 8 x 12 balanced analog with dedicated main and monitor outs, 2 x 8-channel ADAT optical, RCA S/PDIF (with SRC), and two independent phone outs for 32 inputs and 34 outputs.
- Universal connectivity -- Connects to your computer with Thunderbolt or high-speed USB 2.0 (compatible with USB 3.0). Class-compliant firmware and Industry standard drivers work with any audio software.
- On-board DSP with mixing and effects -- Flexible 48-input digital mixer modeled after large format mixing consoles, with 12 stereo busses and DSP effects, including reverb, 4-band EQ, gate, and compression.
- 32-bit floating point processing -- The 1248's mixing and effects DSP engine delivers virtually unlimited headroom and the utmost in sound quality.
Modeled vintage effects processing -- Classic reverb. Compression modeled after the legendary LA-2A - compressor. EQ modeled after British analog console EQs.
- System expansion and audio networking -- Add a 2nd MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M or 16A) with a simple Cat-5e ethernet cable. Connect up to five MOTU interfaces using a MOTU AVB Switch (sold separately). Build a network with multiple interfaces and computers using standard AVB switches and network cabling, with ultra-low network latency, even over long cable runs (hundreds of meters). Stream hundreds of audio channels among devices and computers on the network.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Mark of the Unicorn (MOTU) products.
- Sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz
- Mic inputs:
- 4 x XLR mic inputs
- Preamp gain: 0 to +63 dB (digitally controlled)
- Analog inputs:
- 2 x 1/4" hi-Z guitar inputs (front panel)
- 8 x 1/4" TRS line inputs (balanced/unbalanced)
- Max level: +24 dBu (digitally adjustable +2 to +24)
- Analog outputs:
- 12 x 1/4" TRS line out (balanced, DC coupled)
- Max level: +20 dBu (digitally adjustable -4 to +20)
- 2 x 1/4" TRS stereo headphone
- Digital I/O:
- 2 banks (16 ch) of ADAT optical at 1x sample rates
- 1 bank (8 ch) of SMUX optical at 2x sample rates
- Stereo RCA S/PDIF up to 96 kHz (with SRC on input)
- Total I/O:
- 32 inputs and 34 outputs (66 total) at 1x sample rates
- 24 inputs and 26 outputs (50 total) at 2x sample rates
- 14 inputs and 16 outputs (30 total) at 4x sample rates
- Computer I/O:
- 1 x Thunderbolt (compatible with 1 and 2)
- 1 x USB 2.0 audio class compliant (3.0 compatible)
- Sync I/O:
- 1 x word clock in
- 1 x word clock out
- Headphone: 2 x 1/4" TRS stereo phone (assignable)
- Phantom power: 4 x individual +48V
- Front panel:
- 2 x 1/4" TRS headphone output
- 2 x TRS hi-Z guitar input
- 2 x digital rotary encoders: main/monitor volume
- 2 x digital rotary encoders: phone volume
- 2 x digital rotary encoders: guitar input gain
- 4 x digital rotary encoders: mic preamp gain
- 8 x switches: (4) Pad and (4) 48V Phantom switch
- 324 x 24 pixel LCD for level meters / menu nav
- 1 x AC power switch
- Power: International 100-240V auto-switching supply, 50-60 Hz, 0.5A max
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):
MOTU offers a 2 year warranty on all Firewire interfaces and all Video/Audio interfaces. USB MIDI interfaces and PCI Audio interfaces carry a 90 day warranty.
If you have additional warranty questions, please contact the manufacturer at 617-576-2760