Moog's Battery-Powered Analog Ring ModulatorFor guitarists looking to add some serious modulation to their effects rig, Moog offers the Minifooger MF Ring effect pedal. The MF Ring is a genuine analog ring modulator based on the classic Moog Moogerfooger MF-102. You can control the mix from pure input signal to pure processed signal, and anywhere between. Also, a tone knob is provided which only applies to the processed signal, allowing you to selectively filter which frequencies you'd like to produce. A frequency knob allows you to adjust the frequency with which your incoming signal is modulated, ranging from 90 Hz all the way up to 12 kHz (accessible via an external expression pedal).
Hear the MF Ring in action with this video from zZounds:
Analog Insides for Real Ring-Mod ToneThe strength of all Minifooger pedals -- MF Ring included -- is that the insides are completely analog. Composed of dozens of components, each 100% analog, the MF Ring sounds like a ring modulator should -- with a warm billowing low end and crisp harmonies in the high end -- unlike digital ring mod emulators, which suffer from digital artifacts and other unwanted background noise.
Add an External Expression Pedal for Drastic Frequency SweepsConnect an external expression pedal to the MF Ring and you can control the modulation frequency in real time. This allows you to trigger outlandish sci-fi-inspired frequency sweeps or bit-reduction effects. Because the output effect varies drastically depending on the selected frequency and which key you are playing in, expression pedal control also allows you to switch between keys on-the-fly. What's more, the expression pedal position is additive to the knob setting (as opposed to simply replacing it), allowing an extended frequency range for the modulation signal of up to 12 kHz (compared to 1.5 kHz when using just the control knob).
Features:- Ring modulation footpedal with pure analog circuitry
- Design based on the Moog Moogfooger MF-102 ring modulator
- Control knobs for Freq, Tone, and Mix
- Freq adjusts the frequency with which the incoming signal is modulated
- Tone applies only to the modulated signal, allowing you to selectively highlight output frequencies -- used to select the key of choice
- Frequency range is 90 Hz to 1.5 kHz (up to 12 kHz with external expression pedal, sold separately)
- Mix between all or no effect
- Expression pedal port lets you control frequency and is additive to the knob setting, allowing the expression pedal to achieve modulation rates unreachable to the Freq knob alone
- True analog bypass
- Designed to work with guitars and basses
- 1/4-inch input and output
- 1/4-inch port for expression pedal (sold separately)
- Powered via 9V battery or with optional 9V power adapter (sold separately)
- Rugged cast aluminum enclosure
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Moog Music products.
- Signal Path: 100% Analog
- Bypass Type: True bypass
- Power: +9VDC
- Weight: 18oz (0.5kg)
- Enclosure: Cast aluminum
- Dimensions: (D x W x H) 5.75 x 3.25 x 2.25: (14.14 x 8.3 x 5.8cm)
- Frequency Control: Oscillator range is 90Hz - 1.5KHz nominal; Max with expression 12KHz
- Tone Control: 165 Hz - 20KHz Lowpass Filter 6dB/Octave (wet signal only)
- Expression: Controls Freq (Max Input level +5VDC. Response of internal oscillator is not linear above +4V input)
- Input Impedance: 1 MegaOhm
- Output Impedance: 200 Ohm
- Current: 12mA
If you have additional warranty questions, please contact the manufacturer at 828-251-0090
Product DescriptionThe Moog Minifooger MF Ring is an analog ring modulator that is based on the best selling Ring Mod in the world, the Moogerfooger MF-102. Its unique tone voicing circuit adds a musical dimension to ring modification, making it easy dial in everything from octaves and choral dissonance to harmonic undertones and synthesized lead lines. The expression pedal input provides hands-free control of the Freq control for sound sweeps, pitch shifting effects, and playing between two scales on the fly. Unlike other ring modulation pedals, the MF Ring can also be battery powered.
Tunes the frequency of a carrier oscillator to the root note in a scale. The range of this control has been refined to be extremely musical. At lower settings chorus and octaves occur on notes within a chosen scale, while beating and extreme dissonance occur on notes played outside of that scale. At Mid position the sound is buzzy and tight. This is great when paired with the MD Drive for octave-fuzz sounds. At the maximum position the sound is much more synthesized and robotic.
Sets the amount of input versus modulated signal. A ring modulator outputs the sum and difference frequencies of your instrument and a carrier oscillator (FREQ). At lower to medium levels, the MF Ring can be used to accompany and accentuate notes. As Mix is increased, you will notice more synthesized and bell-type sounds. At maximum, the input signal is completely gone and only the sum and difference frequencies are heard. This is perfect for creating unpredictable synthesized and electronic sounds.
A filter circuit only applied to the effected signal. This allows you to leave in the MF Ring's natural high frequency chime and buzz, or dial it down for a warmer, more musical character. Because the tracking of the MF Ring is so accurate, this control is particularly useful for dialing in sounds that accompany lead lines, bends, and even chords. It is the perfect way to add unique texture to an idea without it overtaking the sound of your instrument.
EXPRESSION PEDAL INPUT
This input is assigned to the Freq control. Use it to specify two independent playing keys or create classic sci-fi swells, bit reduction effects, and whammy dives. This input is additive and will allow you to go past the panel settings.
Features:- True Bypass
- Tone control adds musical flexibility to the sonic capabilities of ring modulation
- Easily go from octaves, beating, and chorus in a scale to electro-insanity
- Easily tune and voice the Freq control to your key of choice
- CAN BE BATTERY POWERED
- Expression pedal input control of Frequency for key changes and sound effects
- Designed to perform with any Guitar, Amp, or Bass guitar configuration