In 1955, an article on rock and roll in Variety magazine predicted, "It will be gone by June." Clearly, some predictions don't pan out. So, how about all the naysayers that pooh-poohed amp modeling technology, saying it would never sound as good as a tube amp? Well, how about a tube amp with modeling technology on board? With the Spider Valve series from Line 6, that's exactly what you get. Another prediction bites the dust.
Your Digital Modeler Is In My Tube Amp!
Line 6's reputation for dead-on amp modeling is well established, and the "MkII" version of these Spider Valve amps only serves to enhance it. The modeling section comes loaded with 16 of the coolest amps anywhere, painstakingly recreated for the most vivid, accurate tone you're likely to find short of buying all of the originals for yourself. Dial up instantly familiar tones from Fender, Vox, and Marshall, or more boutique sounds from Diezel, Hiwatt, Orange, Mesa Boogie, and more. When you call up an amp model, the Spider Valve's controls are instantly configured to match the original. Bass, Mid, and Treble knobs, for example, perform in true Fender fashion on the Vibroverb model as opposed to the "British Tonestack" you get from the Vox AC-30 Top Boost. Of course, Line 6 compensates for the rest of the amp in the output. This amp may have two 12-inch speakers, but the '58 Bassman still sounds like a 4x10, just as you would expect.
Your Tube Amp Is In My Digital Modeler!
Since the Spider Valve 212 MkII combines the best of digital modeling with the best of analog amplification, it stands to reason Line 6 would enlist the help of one of the best amp designers in the world to handle the tube section. They chose Reinhold Bogner. His custom made amps such as the Uberschall, Shiva, and Ecstasy have tons of street cred with the rock and roll elite, and the more affordable Alchemist amps ain't too shabby either. Incorporating the digital technology posed some significant challenges, but Mr. Bogner was more than up to the task.
Onboard Effects and 14-Second Looping
Beyond the faithful amp modeling, you also get 20 sweet effects for even more color and texture in your tone. Add up to four effects at a time, and tweak up to six parameters per effect. Route all of this pre or post for even more control of our sound. For quick thickening of your tone, try the Smart Harmony setting, which lets you pick a scale and an interval and adds the extra notes without adding a second guitarist. Eighties metal lives! Another cool addition is the Pitch Glide, which lets you program intervals into an FBV Express or Shortboard foot controller (not included) and sweep back and forth. Set it for an octave down at the heel and octave up at the toe and you can get some cool Morello-like whammy bends. Line 6 also includes a 14-second Quick Loop function for sound-on-sound layering. Lay down a chord progression and work on your soloing, or create instant backing tracks at the live gig. Here's another cool use for the Quick Loop: capture a chord progression or riff, then play it back routed to post. Now, your hands are free to tweak the amp models and effects, and you can find a tone that brings that progression or riff to life!
Real Preamp Tubes and Power Tubes
Many "hybrid amps" limit the digital/analog interaction to a single preamp tube. This tube is typically underpowered, and really only there for the cachet that goes with being called a tube amp. It may warm up the preamp signal a bit, but that's about the extent of the benefit. Needless to say, that's not going to cut it for the Spider Valve. Reinhold added two 12AX7 tubes to the preamp section, running at about 300 volts, providing the expressive, bubbly tone you expect from a real tube pre. For the Spider Valve 212, a matched pair of 6L6 power tubes deliver all the rich harmonic content and gooey analog breakup you crave. Your tone sails along this expertly crafted signal path, backed by 40 watts of power, until it hits the pair of 12-inch Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. A three-quarter closed-back cabinet helps focus the tone for tight, biting lows with added punch.
Flexible Routing: Power Amp In, Preamp Out, MIDI I/O
As you would expect with a blending of Line 6 innovation and Bogner experience, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You get more than a digital modeler, more than a tube amp, something that builds on the strengths of those two concepts and takes them to greater heights. The additional I/O and routing flexibility, for example, lets you take your tone to interesting new places. Since it's a tube amp at heart, you've got all the options you'd expect, including a power amp input to drive the tubes (including the preamp tubes) from another front-end source, a preamp output to drive a second amp from the Spider Valve 212, and 1/4-inch speaker outs to drive external 4- or 8-ohm cabinets (keep in mind you have to disconnect the internal speakers in order to do this). To take it a step further, the XLR direct out with ground-lift lets you run in Performance Mode (blending the digital preamp signal and tube characteristics) or Studio Mode (modeling only) depending on your needs. If you're sending out to the PA, you're audience is going to want to hear the tubes. If you're recording, the modeler is all you need to lay down meaty guitar tracks. Onboard MIDI In/Out/Thru lets you sync your sound to other outboard digital gear, and effortlessly switch patches. Try to do that with a plain old tube amp! Of course, there's an integrated tuner to keep you on pitch, and the FBV controller jack lets you add a ton of flexibility. You can trigger any of the 128 preset locations without having to walk back to the amp, use the expression pedal for Wah, volume, Pitch Glide, and more, and even update the Spider Valve's firmware right from the FBV. Both the analog power and digital flexibility are great on their own, but combined in the Spider Valve 212 MkII, you're entering a whole new realm of creative expression.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
Line 6 products.
The result of a ground-breaking collaborative effort between living-legend amp designer Reinhold Bogner and renowned amp-modeling upstarts Line 6, Spider Valve(tm) MkII 212 40-watt combo the best of both worlds: brawny, boutique-style tube tone and the most advanced Line 6 amp modeling with complete flexibility and deep editing.
Spider Valve MkII 212 offers more amp models, effects and sophisticated features than its celebrated predecessor, the original Spider Valve 212 combo (the number 1-selling tube 2x12 combo in America**), but its all-tube design and boutique-style integrity keep it firmly rooted in the Spider Valve family.
Acclaimed Amp Tones
Spider Valve MkII 212 has the tools and tones you need to build your sound from the ground up. It features 16 of the most advanced Line 6 amp models, which were inspired by the most revered American, British and European heads and combos. Each one was custom-tuned for Spider Valve MkII amps.
Get in front of sparkling clean tones inspired by- a Hiwatt(r) Custom 100, syrupy smooth drive tones inspired by- a mix of a '65 Marshall(r) JTM-45, a '58 Fender(r) Bassman(r) and a '63 Fender(r) Vibroverb, British pop/rock tones inspired by- a Vox(r) AC-30 Top Boost, high-gain onslaughts by- a Mesa/Boogie(r) Dual Rectifier(R)and a Diezel(r) Herbert, Class A crunch inspired by- a Divided by 13 9/15, classic Class A breakup inspired by- an Orange(r) AD-30, and more! Store every gig's tones with 128 user-programmable presets.
Need to shape your tone? Tweak the Bass, Mid and Treble knobs just like you would on the original vintage amps. you choose an amp model, the EQ section behaves just like the EQ of the modeled amplifier. Spider Valve MkII 212 gives you a complete, organic and fully authentic representation of its 16 vintage and modern amplifiers.
- 16 of the most advanced Line 6 amp models inspired by beloved American, British and European combos and heads
- Mid-range tones that live on the very edge of breakup, sparkling cleans, high-gain distortions and more
- EQ section by the EQ controls of the original modeled amplifiers
- 128 user-programmable presets
*All product names herein are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Line 6. These trademarks of other manufacturers are used solely to identify the products of those manufacturers whose tones and sounds were studied during Line 6's sound model development. Hiwatt is a registered trademark of Fernandes Company Ltd. Marshall is a registered trademark of Marshall Amplification Plc. Fender and Bassman are registered trademarks of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. Vox is a registered trademark of Vox R&D Limited. Mesa/Boogie and Rectifier are registered trademarks of Mesa/Boogie Ltd. Diezel is a registered trademark of Diezel GmbH. Orange is a registered trademark of Orange Personal Communications Services Limited.
**According to MI SalesTrak(tm) 2008 reports.
An Instant Collection of Essential FX
Start smart and dive deep with the unprecedented control of Line 6 Smart FX. 20 brilliant effects deliver unprecedented color, adjustability and routing options. You can tweak up to 6 parameters of any effect -- including the intelligent Smart Harmony and Pitch Glide, and easy-to-use 14-second Quick Loop -- and route it pre or post for an extraordinary collection of tone-shaping tools. Plus, you get every guitarist's required palette of colors including beautiful Delays, tangy Mods, lush Reverbs and more. Up to 4 effects can be used simultaneously.
- 20 Smart FX including Smart Harmony, Pitch Glide, Quick Loop & more
- Tweak up to 6 parameters of any effect and route it pre or post
- Up to 4 effects at once
Fully Editable, Deeply Sophisticated
Spider Valve MkII 212 is poised to become the workhorse amp for all kinds of pro players. Its seamless integration into MIDI rigs allows for quick changes to all front-panel controls, easy synching of your time-based effects (to themselves and to your drummer's click-track) as well as other time- and energy-saving features.
Plus, two output modes deliver easy and effective solutions for recording and gigging. Performance Mode lets you send a signal, which provides tube and modeling interaction, via the XLR out to the front-of-house engineer. Studio Mode bypasses the tubes to send the platinum-album Line 6 modeling only.
- Seamless MIDI integration
- Performance Mode provides a direct signal that captures interaction between tubes and modeling
- Studio Mode provides a direct signal that captures the modeling only
Brawny Tube Tone
Many so-called tube amps employ low-voltage "marketing" tubes to add authenticity to their "tube amp" claim. Spider Valve MkII 212 boasts bona fide Bogner-designed preamp and power amp sections that run at lethal voltages (about 300 volts and 450 volts, respectively) produce exceptional depth, tonal coloration and richness.
The signal from the Line 6 front-end flows into the pair of 12AX7 preamp tubes to produce creamy, cascading distortions and enriched tube harmonics. The perfectly matched pair of 6L6 power tubes then drives the two Celestion(r) Vintage 30 speakers to provide unprecedented sonic impact.
- Line 6 tonal flexibility, deep editing and world-class modeling
- Bogner-designed preamp and power amp sections
- Two 12AX7 preamp tubes; matched pair of 6L6 power tubes
After being poured from the pair of 12-inch Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, your tone soaks up the spanky thump of the tuned three-quarter closed-back cabinet. The result is a tight low-end punch for a truly exceptional feel.
- Two 12-inch Celestion Vintage 30 speakers
- Tuned three-quarter closed-back cabinet
- Tight low-end punch and exceptional feel
Hands-free Control & More
Line 6 FBV(tm) foot controllers deliver out-of-the-box volume/wah, pitch control, preset control and more. FBV Shortboard(tm) MkII pairs perfectly with Spider Valve MkII 212 to offer complete, hands-free control of the on-board Spider Valve MkII effects including Quick Loop, Smart Harmony and more. The bright and backlit oversized LCD makes it easy to see preset names and the chromatic tuner.
- Out-of-the-box connectivity
- Control Spider Valve MkII effects including Quick Loop, Smart Harmony and more
- Oversized LCD is easy to read
Spider Online -- Now Available!
Spider Online is a free online resource for registered Spider amplifier owners that offers over 500 lessons, jam tracks and tones created by Line 6, artists and fellow Spider owners.
- Over 300 lessons covering all genres, styles, theory and application, and techniques
- Over 100 jam tracks, bass and drum grooves, and drum loops played by L.A. and Nashville's top session musicians
- Hundreds of tones that can be downloaded directly to Spider amps (or displayed on-screen for Spider amps that don't support USB connectivity)
- Every lesson includes tabs, audio samples and tones
- Available for owners of any Spider amp, including Spider I through IV, Spider Valve, Spider Jam and Micro Spider
Spider Valve 212 MKII Features
- The best of both worlds: brawny, boutique-style tube tone and the most advanced Line 6 amp modeling with complete flexibility and deep editing; 40 watts; two -inch Celestion Vintage 30 speakers; two 12AX7 preamp tubes; two matched 6L6 power tubes
- 16 evolved amp models inspired by beloved American, British and European amps; the cleanest cleans, searing high-gain distortions, hard-to-find mid-range tones that teeter on the edge of breakup & more; 128 user-programmable presets; 4 channels
- 20 Smart FX including Harmony, Pitch Glide, Auto-Wah, 14-second Quick Loop, beautiful Delays, tangy Mods, lush Reverbs & more; up to 4 effects at once; tup to six parameters of any effect; route effects pre or post
- SMIDI integration; two output modes: Performance Mode provides a direct signal that captures the interaction of tubes and modeling, Mode provides a direct signal that captures modeling only
- Bass, Mid and Treble knob response inspired by the EQ controls of each modeled amp; Drive knob; Presence knob; Channel volume; Master volume
- Tuned three-quarter closed-back cabinet results in a tight low-end punch for exceptional feel
- Line 6 FBV foot controllers provide everything from Wah-Wah, Volume and Pitch Glide control to Tap Tempo, a chromatic Tuner display and simple channel switching
- 1/4-inch guitar input; XLR out; RJ-45 FBV foot controller input; MIDI in/out; 1/4-inch pre amp input; 1/4-inch power amp output; XLR output; 1/4-inch speaker outputs
- Built-in chromatic Tuner; manual mode
- Spider Valve Mk II amplifiers are firmware upgradeable via FBV MkII foot controllers.
- Includes casters for easy rolling