DIY Musician? Build Your Own Korg MS-20 Analog Synthesizer!Korg wants you to know your synthesizer inside and out -- and that's why they offer the Korg MS-20 Kit Analog Keyboard Synthesizer. It's a kit that includes everything you need to build your own full-size replica of the original Korg MS-20 synthesizer. A DIY guy's dream, the MS-20 Kit includes true replicas of all the original analog circuitry used in the original MS-20, so you can build your own instrument from the ground up.
A True Analog Synth -- Just Like The OriginalThe MS-20 Kit has been painstakingly recreated true to its original -- including both early and late filter types -- allowing you to recreate an analog masterpiece in your own home (and then compose more analog masterpieces at home). The production of the MS-20 Kit was overseen by the same design engineers responsible for the original MS-20 synthesizer to ensure this it is true to the original down the finest detail, so you'll be quite satisfied with the fruits of your labor.
Includes a USB MIDI Port -- Hook It Up To Your Computer and Start SequencingLike its predecessor, the MS-20 is a true analog synthesizer. It offers two main oscillators including modulation matrices and envelope generators, granting you virtually limitless sonic-sculpting possibilities. But unlike its predecessor, the MS-20 Kit offers a USB port, allowing you to connect it to your computer for sequencing.
Features:- A 37-key analog synthesizer you can build with your own hands
- Three-octave keyboard with 37 keys
- Modulation wheel with center click
- Two voltage controlled oscillators with mixer section
- Several oscillator types including sawtooth, triangle, square, noise, pulse, ring modulator, and more
- Voltage controlled high pass and low pass filters
- Two envelope generators and one modulation generator
- Master volume control knob
- Mono 1/4-inch phone jack input
- Mono 1/4-inch phone jack output
- Stereo 1/4-inch headphone output
- MIDI IN 5-pin input jack
- Type B USB port for sending and receiving MIDI
- Powered via included power supply, consumes 9 watts when in use
- Ten patch cords included for creating your own modulation matrices
- DIY kit includes: front panel, rear panel, bottom panel, 2 x L-shaped brackets, left side panel, right side panel, left side shield, right side shield, panel support, 7 x large knobs, 29 x small knobs, 10 x rubber bushings, 4 x rubber feet, cord hook, keyboard, wheel, rear jack circuit board, left panel circuit board, right panel circuit board, VR circuit boards, power supply circuit board, box-end wrench, nuts, washers, and screws
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Korg products.
Package contents of the MS-20 KitFront panel, Rear panel, Bottom panel, L-shaped bracket(x 2), Left side pane, Right side panel, Left side shield, Right side shield, Panel support, Knob (large) (x 7), Knob (small) (x 29), Rubber bushing (x 10), Rubber feet (x 4), Cord hook, Nut 12 mm - shiny (x 36), Washer (x 36), Screw (x 36), Nut 11 mm - matte (x 30), Nut 11 mm - shiny (x 6), Keyboard unit, Wheel unit, Rear jack circuit board unit, Left panel circuit board, Right panel circuit board & VR circuit board (small), VR circuit board (large), Power supply circuit board, Box-end wrench (included)
- Keyboard: C - C: 37-key (3 octaves)
- Main Controller: Control wheel (center click), Momentary switch --> GND
- Input/Output: Signal input (Monoral Phone Jack), Signal output (Monoral Phone Jack, 2V p-p output impedance 3.5kohms), Headphones output (Stereo Phone Jack, 33ohms 48mW), DC12V, MIDI IN, USB(Type B)
- Power Consumption: 9W
- Power Supply: DC12V
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 573 x 316 x 248 mm / 22.56 x 12.44 x 9.76 inches
- Weight: 6.3 kg / 13.89 lbs.
- Accessories: AC adaptor (12V/1.5A), Patch Cord x 10
If you have additional warranty questions, please contact the manufacturer at 631-390-6800
Product DescriptionCreating an instrument with your own hands is the part of the true enjoyment of an analog synthesizer. The Korg MS-20 Kit lets you obtain a real, full-sized MS-20 by assembling it yourself. It goes without saying that, just like the MS-20 mini released in January 2013, the engineers who developed the original MS-20 have overseen this project -- ensuring that its historic sound is reproduced with complete fidelity. In addition, the MS-20 Kit provides the filters from both the early and late versions of this classic instrument and it even allows you to switch between them. Today, 36 years after this historic instrument was first unveiled in 1978, the MS-20 returns to its true origin.
A full-size MS-20 that you can assemble yourselfThe MS-20 Kit is a kit that lets you obtain a real MS-20 by assembling the parts according to the directions in the owner's manual. Most of the steps are simply a matter of tightening screws or fitting parts together, so you don't need to know about soldering or electronic circuitry. Beyond any doubt, the analog sound generated by the MS-20 that you yourself completed will sound more valuable than that of any other synthesizer.
Unlike the MS-20 mini, the MS-20 Kit is a full-size unit with a standard-sized keyboard, and the plugs are also full sized 1/4" phone plugs.
Two types of filter are provided: both the early and later versionsThe original MS-20 used different VCF circuits depending on the date of production. Units produced in the earlier period used a filter noted for its distinctive distortion and self-oscillation, while the filter used in later units was a low-noise design with a more mellow character.
Amazingly, this MS-20 Kit provides both filters. You can switch between the two by moving a jumper pin on the circuit board according to your taste or needs.
Overseen by the engineers of the original MS-20; a complete replication of the original analog circuitryJust like the MS-20 mini, development of the MS-20 Kit was led by the original engineers themselves, who spared no effort to perfectly replicate the circuitry of the original unit. When it was necessary to substitute a part, the engineers made the decision based on their own ears, ensuring that the exact sound of the original unit has been reproduced. In fact, the sound of the MS-20 kit has a somewhat bright and extreme quality to it because its sound is that of an original MS-20 in mint condition at the time it went on sale, before any of the components aged.
2VCO / 2VCF / 2VCA / 2EG / 1LFO structureThe MS-20 kit reproduces the distinctive synthesis of the MS-20; two oscillators with ring modulation, and envelope generators with hold and delay.
External signal processor (ESP) for processing an external signalThe ESP carries on the experimental spirit of MS-20; it allows you to use the pitch or volume of an external audio source to control the synthesizer. For example, you can input an electric guitar and use the MS-20 kit as a guitar synthesizer, or input a mic and use it as a vocal synthesizer.
Extremely flexible patching systemThe patching system provided to the right of the panel lets you create complex sounds by plugging-in cables to change the connections between the various units. The possibilities are limited only by the user's imagination; different combinations of the modulation input/output and trigger, sample and hold, and noise generator can produce an incredible variety of sounds. By patching according to the MS-20 flow chart that's printed on the panel, even the beginner can start taking advantage of these possibilities right away.
MIDI IN connector and USB connectorThe MS-20 kit provides a MIDI IN jack for receiving note messages, and a USB-MIDI connector that can transmit and receive note messages. You can even connect the MS20 kit to your computer and play it from a sequencer.
Powered by an AC adapterAlthough the power is supplied by an AC adapter, the voltage specifications used internally are the same design as the original unit. Replicates every detail of the original, down to the package binding and the included manual
MS-20 Kit Setting ChartKorg's efforts to remain faithful to the original are not limited to the unit itself. Even the package that contains the unit replicates the original as far as possible. Also included are the original MS-20 owner's manual and settings chart, explaining how to create sounds. Now you can experience the excitement of the MS20, just like it was during its original release in 1978.
Features:- A full-size MS-20 that you can assemble yourself
- Both the early and late versions of the filter are provided
- Overseen by the engineers of the original MS-20;
- a complete replication of the original analog circuitry:
-- 2VCO / 2VCA / 2VCF / 2EG / 1LFO structure
-- External signal processor (ESP)
-- Extremely flexible patching system
- MIDI IN and USB connector
- Powered by an AC adapter
- Replicates every detail of the original, down to the package binding and the included manual