Add some synth texture and vocoding excitement to your rock band, electronica group, or hip-hop project with the microKORG XL synthesizer, the big brother to Korg's massively popular microKORG. How do you improve on a smash-hit super-portable synth? For starters, the XL boasts a more intuitive user interface, more versatile PCM sounds, an upgraded microphone for the vocoder, and a USB port. Korg packs all this into a dare-we-call-it-cute 25-inch-wide, 7-pound package, complete with an improved 37-key Natural Touch mini-keyboard. The original microKORG synth made waves with massive analog-modeling sound in a tiny footprint. Now, get analog re-creations plus pianos, electric pianos, strings and more - along with Kaoss-derived effects - in the updated microKORG XL.
Good Looks, Great Sounds
Head-turning good looks are a big part of the microKORG XL's charm. It looks a bit like a baby Fender Rhodes electric piano, with its brushed-aluminum control panel, analog-style knobs, and the welcome addition of a backlit LCD screen. Since the microKORG XL is the sort of instrument that begs to be played right out of the box, the Korg has laid out its 128 preset sounds so even beginners can find what they need fast. Turn the Program Genre dial to one of eight "genres" (try Vintage Synth or Rock/Pop) and turn the Program Category dial to a type of instrument (poly synth, bass, lead, strings, and so on). You can now use the Bank Select lever to toggle between two sounds in your selected category. No scrolling through menus or punching in numbers - just grab user-friendly knobs and switches to quickly access any of the staple sounds, and use the four right-hand knobs to tweak your tone. Get even more mileage out of the microKORG XL's presets by applying a dedicated two-band EQ and any two effects borrowed from Korg's Kaoss line, from EQ, compression, and delay to pitch and phase-modulation - 17 effects in all.
Build and Edit Sounds with Korg's Free Software
If building your own sounds from scratch is more your speed, the microKORG XL lets you get your hands dirty in Full Edit Mode, while the addition of a backlit LCD screen help you see what you're doing. Two oscillators offer PCM-sampled pianos, organs, brass and more, along with the usual analog-modeling suspects like sawtooth and square waves. Shape your sound with two smooth filters, modulate it with two LFOs and three envelopes, and add distortion with the drive/waveshaping processor. Got a sound you like? Turn on the microKORG XL's arpeggiator and apply one of six arpeggio types - you can adjust duration, spacing, and on/off status for each of eight steps in the pattern, and even synchronize the frequency of your LFO, or your delay effect, to the arpeggiator's tempo. If this all sounds like a lot to squint at on such a small keyboard, Korg has your covered with the addition of the USB port on the XL. Connect it to your Mac or PC running Korg's free software editor, back up the factory sounds, and dig deep into your own creations from the comfort of your computer screen. Or simply use the software to rearrange sounds within the banks, so your favorite presets are always just a knob-click away.
Fun with Vocoding
Delight your audience with the the microKORG's built-in 16-band vocoder. Just play a chord and talk into the mic to modulate your sound with one of the most dynamic filters on the planet: the human voice. Korg has included a sturdy metal gooseneck microphone that plugs straight into the standard XLR jack in the center top panel, so you can start vocoding right out of the box. Format Hold allows you to "freeze" the input of the microphone and apply it to what you play on the keyboard even when you're not vocalizing, while Format Shift allows you adjust each of the 16 frequency bands separately, to warp your voice beyond recognition. This must be what Korg was thinking when gave the name "XL" to such a tiny synth: it's two tons of fun.
- Multi Modeling Technology sound engine, derived from the Korg Radias/R3 synths
- 8-voice polyphony (twice that of the original microKORG)
- Dual effects processors from the Korg Kaoss, with 17 effects to choose from
- Improved Natural Touch mini-keys increases playability in a small footprint
- Full-size Pitch and Mod wheels
- 8-step arpeggiator with 6 built-in patterns
- Backlit LCD adds visual feedback
- USB port
- Free sound-editing software for easy sound building and preset tweaking
- 16-band vocoder with built-in XLR Gooseneck microphone and windscreen
- Extreme portability
- Vintage look
- Easy-to-use presets
DC9V (Included) or 6 AA batteries (Not Included)
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
- Tone Generator System: MMT (Multiple Modeling Technology)
- Program: Multi Timbral: maximum 2 (when using Layer, Split, or Multi), Voices=8 voices
- Structure: [Synth] 2 oscillators + noise generator, Oscillator 1: Wave: 8 types (Sawtooth, Pulse, Triangle, Sine, Formant, Noise, DWGS, Audio In), Modulation: Waveform, Cross, Unison, VPM, Oscillator 2: Wave: 4 types (Sawtooth, Pulse, Triangle, Sine), Modulation: Ring, Sync, Ring+Sync, Waveshape: Type: Drive, Decimator, HardClip, OctSaw, MultiTri, MultiSin, SubOSCSaw, SubOSCSqu, SubOSCTri, SubOSCSin, LevelBoost,
- Multimode Filters: Filer 1: -24 dB/oct LPF ~ -12 dB/oct LPF ~ -12 dB/oct BPF ~ -12 dB/oct HPF ~ Thru, Filter 2: LPF, HPF, BPF [Vocoder] 16 channel vocoder, adjustable level and pan for each channel, Formant Shift function, Formant Hold function
- Keyboard: 37 notes (mini-keyboard, velocity sensitive)
- Effects: Timbre: 2 band EQ, Master effect x 2, 17effects
- Arpeggiator: Six types: UP, DOWN, ALT1/2, Random, Trigger, Individual step on/off function
- Programs: 128 programs (A/Bbanks x 8 genres x 8 category)
- Inputs: [Audio Input 1] jack (with Mic/Line switch) - Rear Panel Connector: 1/4 in. phone jack (unbalanced) [Audio Input 1 (Mic)] jack - Front Panel Connector: XLR jack (balanced)
- Outputs: [L/Mono, R] jacks Connectors: 1/4
Power Supply:DC9V (Included) or 6 AA batteries (Not Included)
If you have additional warranty questions,
please call the manufacturer at 631-390-6800
The microKORG range expands with a big brother to mega selling microKORG synth. The original microKORG is loved and used daily by musicians around the world - from keyboardists to guitarists - enabling everyone to experience the enjoyment of a great synthesizer. Now an advanced microKORG is available; a synthesizer that lets you generate your own personal sound, packing a cutting-edge sound engine and powerful effects into a compact, vintage-like body. Welcome the microKORG XL.
- New vintage design is both fresh and nostalgic.
- Korg's renowned MMT Multi Modeling Technology, optimized for the microKORG XL.
- Sixteen band vocoder for voice controlled effects. A gooseneck microphone is included, so you can begin vocoding right away.
- 128 powerful sounds are built-in and ready for immediate use.
- Intuitive sound selection; simply specify the music genre and instrument category.
- Seventeen powerful Kaoss derived effects.
- Newly developed natural touch mini keyboard is compact, yet easy to play.
- Editing software can be downloaded from the Korg website, as well as converted MS2000 and microKORG programs.
- Battery powered for on-the-go enjoyment.
The top of the range microKORG - XL power in a micro body
The microKORG has continued to be a best-seller since its arrival five years ago, and remains enormously popular today. This model boasts Korg's powerful Radias/R3 derived MMT Multi Modeling Technology, as well as a powered-up vocoder. The updated ROM includes PCM data for recreating in-demand vintage keyboards such as piano, electric piano, and clav. Externally, the microKORG XL boasts a vintage design with a textured black body and industrial silver panel. The interface has also been enhanced, making it easier than ever to use. Sound selection is controlled by two large dials; three smaller knobs allow the main parameters to be easily selected. The intuitive mini-keyboard is firm and responsive for even greater playability. And best of all, it's battery-powered so you can take it anywhere and still enjoy serious sound. For beginners, advanced musicians and sound designers, this is a synthesizer that will stimulate your musical creativity.
Korg's Multi Modeling Technology
Korg's MMT engine provides a compendium of Korg's various modeling technologies, offering a robust range of sounds - including great analog re-creations. Korg's famed MMT is the same high-fidelity synthesis that powers the Radias, R3, and ElecTribe MX, optimized to provide the microKORG XL with phenomenal performance. The microKORG XL uses two MMT oscillators to generate powerful sounds. Oscillator 1 (OSC1) provides not only the standard waveforms you expect from an analog synthesizer, but a total of seven types of oscillator algorithms, including formant waveforms such as human voice, noise, and PCM/DWGS waveforms such as vintage keyboards and strings. Cross-modulation, unison, and VPM (Variable Phase Modulation) let you create sounds that would be impossible for a conventional PCM synthesizer. Oscillator 2 (OSC2) can be used for modulation (sync or ring) in conjunction with the first oscillator, making it easy to create complex and powerful sounds.
Dynamic Synthesis Power
Two multi-mode filters, a drive/waveshaping circuit for distinctively distorted sounds, and EG and LFO for creating time-varying tonal change, provide plenty of parameters for serious synthesis. Virtual Patching simulates the patching capability of Korg's classic MS series, and the arpeggiator can run six types of patterns, all adding up to a high degree of creative freedom. There's also an external audio input jack, so you can process external audio material from a sampler or other source device. In the full-edit mode you have unlimited access to all of the Korg microKORG XL's synthesis parameters.
Using a microphone, the Korg microKORG XL's amazing vocoder allows you to add vocal characteristics to any sound, creating everything from "talk-box" filtering, pseudo choirs, talking instruments and vintage Sci-Fi robots. You can also use another instrument - such as a drum machine - to add rhythmic dexterity to your synth tracks. Its unique Formant Hold allows you to freeze the vocal input for continuous vocoder effects. In addition to simulating the classic vocoder sounds of the past, the microKORG XL also allows you to shift the filter frequencies (Formant Shift function) and adjust the level and pan of each of the sixteen bands, greatly altering the tonal character. This allows you to easily create fascinating textures and sounds that go far beyond traditional vocoding. A gooseneck microphone is included, so you can immediately start using these superb vocoder functions.
Free! Downloadable sound editing software
You can use a USB cable to connect the Korg microKORG XL to your computer, and use the free sound editing software to organize your sounds and edit all of the parameters from your computer. In addition to the editing software, you can also download and use converted programs from microKORG and the MS2000/MS2000B free of charge.