Product DescriptionJoe's remarkable vintage 1959 Les Paul is reproduced in incredible fashion in the limited run Gibson Custom Joe Perry 1959 Les Paul VOS electric guitar. The Joe Perry Signature 1959 Les Paul was created by Gibson Custom from painstaking examination and measurement of his original guitar, and delivers the full tone, feel, and look of this highly prized Burst. An extremely limited run of only 150 guitars with Gibson's VOS finishing process will be produced.
BodyGibson Custom has gone to great lengths with the Joe Perry 1959 Les Paul to create a guitar that possesses the very spirit of the original. The recreation starts with a solid, one-piece premium lightweight mahogany body married to a hand-selected maple top. The Joe Perry 1959 Les Paul is finished in an exclusive Faded Tobacco Burst with Historic 'Vintage' aniline red and dark walnut dye on the back, sides, and back of the neck, just like the original. The VOS finish displays a gently-aged patina in the finish and hardware.
NeckThe neck of the Joe Perry signature Les Paul is carved from a single piece of quarter-sawn mahogany and profiled to a full and sweetly rounded '59 shape derived from precise measurement of Joe's own guitar, then topped with a one-piece rosewood fingerboard inlaid with period-correct cellulose trapezoids.
HardwareA set of Kluson Deluxe tuners, a lightweight aluminum stopbar tailpiece, and ABR-1 bridge complete a period-correct hardware complement, while vintage cream binding, gold Top Hat knobs, and a cream plastic pickguard enhance the guitar's vintage looks.
PickupsThe Gibson Custom Joe Perry 1959 Les Paul sounds every bit as phenomenal as it looks and feels, thanks to a pair of Custombucker humbucking pickups designed to closely match the original PAFs in Joe's guitar. Each is made with an Alnico 3 magnet and wound with accurate plain-enamel 42 AWG plain-enamel wire to specs determine by close measurement of the original pickups, with a neck pickup that reads around 8k ohms and bridge pickup that's slightly hotter at 8.5k ohms for plenty of authentic growl.
ElectronicsControls include the traditional independent volume and tones, with 'bumble bee' tone caps on the latter, and a three-way Switchcraft axial toggle selector. Put it all together, and it's like making this well-traveled, rock-history-making Les Paul your very own -- but the Joe Perry Signature 1959 Les Paul is only available in strictly limited numbers.
Joe Perry's Original 1959 Les PaulOf all the great original 1959 Standards out there -- a pretty small number to begin with -- Joe Perry's own Les Paul has long been acclaimed as one of the finest. The rich, road-worn character of this guitar, serial number 9-0663, is utterly moving, and it seems to throb with the wealth of music and experience earned over decades of being played on stages and in recording studios around the world. In Joe's own words, "It's got everything a great Les Paul is supposed to have. The neck isn't quite as fat as, say, a '54 Goldtop, but it's still got a good, meaty neck. It's not a high-output guitar, so it's got a lot of tone...and it's got all the natural sustain and warmth, and when you turn it up it growls."
As stunning a tone monster as this guitar is, however, the story of its passage in and out of Perry's hands over the years is equally riveting. Slash, Boston area guitar legend Billy Loosigian, and Eric Johnson have all owned number 9-0663 over the years, as it did the rounds through the various ups and downs of Aerosmith's career. Once it was clear that Joe had made the shift from struggling to thriving as an artist, he sought to recapture his most cherished axe for good. Many years, many phone calls, and many near misses later, this amazing 1959 Les Paul returned to the man who seemed destined to call it his own.
Features:- Solid, one-piece premium lightweight Mahogany body married to a hand-selected Maple top
- Historic 'Vintage' aniline red dye neck with Joe's rounded profile
- VOS finish displays a gently-aged patina in the finish and hardware
- Rosewood fingerboard with period-correct cellulose trapezoids
- Pair of Custombucker humbucking pickups in the neck and bridge positions
- ABR-1 Tune-o-matic bridge with lightweight aluminum stopbar tailpiece
- Kluson Deluxe tuners with 12:1 tuning ratio
- Limited run of only 150 guitars with the VOS finish process will be produced
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Gibson products.
- Top: Unique Lightly Figured Maple
- Back Mahogany
- Binding: .90 Cream
- Adhesive: Franklin TitebondNeck:
- Species: Mahogany with Maple Spline
- Profile: '59 Rounded
- Truss Rod: Traditional
- Joint Angle: 4 degrees (+/- 15 seconds)
- Adhesive: Franklin TitebondNeck Fit:
- Joint: Mortise and Tenon
- Adhesive: Hide Glue
- Joint Angle Tolerance: +/- .005 inchFingerboard:
- Species: Rosewood
- Radius: 12 inches
- Scale Length: 24.75 inches
- Binding: .04 Cream
- Inlays: Nitrocellulose Trapezoid
- Nut/E.O.B: 1.687/2.062
- Other: Reissue Fret Wire/Tortoise Side DotsNut:
- Material: Bone
- Width: 1.687
- Slots: Gibson PLEK SystemHeadstock:
- Inlay: Mother-of-Pearl Gibson Logo
- Truss Rod Cover: Vintage Black and White
- Angle: 17 DegreesTuners:
- Model: Kluson Deluxe
- Tuning Ratio: 12:01
- Plating: NickelBridge:
- Type: ABR-1
- Plating: Nickel
- Type: Aluminum Stop Bar
- Plating: NickelHardware:
- Knobs: Gold Top Hat with Dial Pointers
- Toggle Switch Washer: Cream
- Pickup Mounting Rings: Cream
- Control Plate Cover: Black
- Strap Buttons: AluminumPickups:
- Neck Position: Custom Bucker (Alnico III)
- Bridge Position: Custom Bucker (Alnico III)
- Coil Wiring: Parallel-Machine WoundElectronics:
- Potentiometers: 2 Volume Controls, 2 Tone Controls
- Capacitors: Bumblebee
- Toggle Switch: Switchcraft Axial Three-Way with Vintage Toggle Cap
- Output Jack: Traditional 1/4 inch
- Finish Sealer: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Case: Custom Shop Hardshell
- Accessories: COA, adjustment literature, and documentation for the guitar's limited lifetime warranty
- Dimensions and Weight in Packaging
- Shipping Weight: 18 lbs