The Gibson 1959 ES-175 Historic electric guitar pays tribute to a crucial moment in guitar design history, when a number of different experiments in guitar design came together to create something one-of-a-kind. This special instrument comes from the Gibson Custom Memphis factory, where it is handcrafted by Gibson's greatest luthiers. This ES-175 comes with humbuckers built to the original specifications of the famous 1957 PAF pickup. The body, neck, hardware, and even the finish faithfully recreate the original design to the last detail.
Great Materials, Re-Assembled Once AgainThe 1959 ES-175 Historic utilizes all of the original tonewoods, componentry, and design specifications of the original legendary guitar. The body is a full-depth archtop design, made from three-ply plain maple with an plain-styled AAA maple top face. There is a Florentine cutaway with a pointed edge, which allows comfortable access up through at least the 18th fret. The rims are made of solid maple that even replicate the cotton rim stays of the original. The colors too are exact to the original, finished in the same proprietary nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Before it leaves the factory, the 1959 ES-175 goes through Gibson's complex VOS (Vintage Original Spec) process, which employs a series of staining, wet-sanding, and hand-rubbing stages. What results is a distinctive patina that one would normally find only on a guitar 40 years or older.
A Classic Jazz NeckThe 1959 ES-175 Historic's deep-set neck is made from solid mahogany with maple spline. The bound fingerboard is made of rosewood and inlaid with classic split-parallelogram markers on 8 frets. The headstock is adorned with a mother-of-pearl Gibson logo and crown inlay. The pickguard is a two-tone multi-ply design. The rosewood bridge is a traditional floating design, and the irreplaceably stylish "zig-zag" faithfully restores a critical design detail. The single-line TonePros tuners with amber tulip buttons keep your intonation rock solid and stay true to the historical tribute of this guitar.
Each guitar comes protected in a plush-lined hardshell case and Custom Shop Certificate of Authenticity.
Features:- Full-depth archtop hollowbody with 3-ply maple/poplar/maple back and top
- Plain-styled AAA-grade maple top face
- Mahogany neck with maple spline
- Aged-cellulose plastic split parallelogram inlays
- TonePros Kluson tuners with tulip buttons
- Original to-spec "zig zag" style tailpiece
- 2 x '57 Classic humbucker pickups
- Includes Custom Shop silk-screened case
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Gibson products.
- Body: Fully Hollow
- Top: 3ply - Maple/Poplar/Maple, Hot Pressed
- Back: 3ply - Maple/Poplar/Maple, Hot Pressed
- Binding: Vintage Cream
- Neck: Mahogany Neck with Maple Spline
- Truss Rod: Traditional
- Joint Angle: 4 degree (+/- 15 seconds)
- Neck Joint: Mortise and Tenon
- Adhesive: Franklin Titebond 50
- Joint Angle Tolerance: +/- .005"
- Fingerboard: Hand-selected Dark Rosewood
- Radius: 12 inch
- Scale Length: 24.75 inches
- Nut/E.O.B: 1.687/2.062
- Inlays: Aged-Cellouse Plastic Split Parallelogram
- Binding: .04, Vintage Cream
- Other: Thin '59 Style Fret Wire/Tortoiseshell Side Dots
- Nut: Vintage-Style Nylon
- Width: 1.687
- Slots: Gibson PLEK System
- Logo: Mother of Pearl 'Gibson'
- Inlay: Mother of Pearl Crown
- Truss Rod Cover: Vintage Truss Rod Cover
- Angle: 17 Degrees
- Tuners: TonePros Kluson with Tulip Buttons
- Plating: Nickel
- Tuning Ratio: 18:01
- Bridge: Rosewood
- Type: Rosewood Base, Compensated Rosewood Top, Height-Adjusting Knurled Wheels
- Material: Rosewood and Nickel-Plated Adjustment Wheels
- Tailpiece: Original Spec Zig Zag Style
- Material: Nickel Plated Brass
- Knobs: Amber Top Hat with Dial Pointers
- Pickguard: Black Reissue with 5-ply Binding
- Strings: .012 - .052, Genuine Gibson Strings
- Strap Buttons: Single Tapered Plastic
- Neck Pickup: '57 Classic Humbucker (Alnico II)
- Bridge Pickups: '57 Classic Humbucker (Alnico II) on Double Pickup Model
- Coil Wiring: Parallel-Machine Wound
- Pickup Mounting Rings: Black Plastic
- Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone (1 Volume, 1 Tone on Single Pickup Model)
- Capacitors: Sprague Black Beauty Bumblebee
- Type: 500k Audio Taper
- Toggle Switch: Switchcraft Toggle with Vintage Cap (Double Pickup Model Only)
- Output Jack: 1/4 inch Switchcraft Jack
- Finish Sealer: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Case: Custom Shop Silkscreened Case
- Exterior: Black Leatherette
- Interior: Charcoal Plush
- Certificate of Authenticity: Custom Shop Certificate of Authenticity
- Additional Materials: Lifetime Warranty Information
- Dimensions and Weight in Packaging
- Vintage Burst
- Shipping Weight: 22 lbs
- Vintage Natural
- Shipping Weight: 25 lbs
Product DescriptionMany players agree that the Gibson ES-175 reached its full potential in 1959, when Gibson replaced its original P-90s with PAF humbucking pickups and designed a rounded, ultra-comfortable neck profile. The Gibson 1959 ES-175 Historic electric guitar recreates this vintage classic with Gibson's proprietary nitrocellulose lacquer finish and VOS process for a gently aged look. The nickel hardware exhibits a mellow, aged patina to recreate the entire look sound and feel of the Historic 1959 ES-175.
To recreate the 1959 ES-175, Gibson Custom Memphis employs all the tonewoods, components and constructional details that helped to make the original legendary. The body, designed by Gibson to reduce feedback in a full-depth archtop, is made from three-ply plain maple with an AAA plain maple top face. From the pointed Florentine cutaway, to the solid maple rims with replica cotton rim stays, to the precise binding dimensions and colors, every effort has been made to ensure the look of the 1959 ES-175 is dead-on.
The set neck is made from solid mahogany with a bound rosewood fingerboard inlaid with characteristic split-parallelogram position markers. Carved to a comfortably rounded late '50s profile with hand-rolled binding, it exudes the playing feel of a well-aged classic. A mother-of-pearl Gibson logo and crown inlay grace the headstock, along with a set of vintage-style, single-line TonePros tuners with amber tulip buttons.
The hardware complement is completed by a multi-ply ES-175 pickguard, traditional floating rosewood bridge, and a correct 'zig-zag' trapeze tailpiece made on the original building forms, previously lost for decades.
Original late '50s ES-175s benefited from the glorious tone of some of the most revered pickups ever created, Gibson's hallowed "PAF" humbuckers, and Gibson Custom Memphis goes all out to achieve that sound in this recreation of the classic. A single or dual set of Aged '57 Classic humbuckers (depending on the guitar) accurately transmits the 1959 ES-175's acoustic voice, while adding the warmth, depth, edge and articulation that made PAFs famous in the first place. They are wired through original-spec 500k CTS potentiometers with "Bumble Bee" tone capacitors, and a three-way switch on the two-pickup guitars with original style rubber grommet.
All together this guitar breathtakingly recreates the total look, feel and sound of the highly prized original, and represents one of the most comfortable, playable historic guitar reproductions Gibson has provided the market in years.
Each guitar comes protected in a plush-lined hardshell case with black exterior and charcoal interior, and includes Custom Shop Certificate of Authenticity, owner's manual and adjustment literature, and protection by Gibson's Limited Lifetime Warranty and 24/7/365 customer service.
Features:- Full hollowbody with 3ply maple/poplar/maple back and top
- Mahogany neck with hand-selected dark rosewood
- Aged-cellouse plastic split parallelogram inlays
- TonePros Kluson tuners with tulip buttons
- Original Spec zig zag style tailpiece
- '57 Classic humbucker pickups
- Includes Custom Shop silkscreened case