The Behringer S16 Digital Snake is a revolutionary I/O box that allows you to connect 16 mic/line inputs to the front-of-house mixer, via a single CAT5 cable. The Behringer S16's stage end is equipped with 16 fully programmable and remotely controllable Midas mic preamps and 8 analog balanced XLR returns. And two S16 Stage Boxes can be cascaded via the built-in AES50 ports, giving you 32 remote-controlled microphone preamps on stage! The days of heavy, clunky analog snake boxes are over! Get yourself an S16 and start to experience the true versatility that is now possible with digital mixing.
Use with the X32 -- Or Any AES50 Digital Ethernet-Equipped Mixer
The S16 was designed specifically for use with Behringer's magnificent X32 digital mixer. However, there are other digital mixers out there utilizing AES50 networking capability, and they can all connect to the S16. Even if you're using an analog mixing board, you can run it into an A/D/A converter (like an ADA8000) and then run all of your I/O through a single cable to the stage.
In addition to two AES50 digital Ethernet ports, there are also two optical ADAT ports to connect channels 1-8 and/or 9-16 to outboard processors and amplifiers. There is handy MIDI I/O included as well, for syncing with MIDI-based triggers or lighting systems. The S16 even includes a conveniently provided USB port to make firmware and system updates easy via an internet-ready computer. And finally, the S16 digital snake has an Ultranet CAT5 port for intergrating with Behringer's Powerplay P-16 personal monitoring system.
Remotely Controllable Preamps
The S16's Midas-designed mic preamps -- the same mic pres found on the X32 mixer -- are fully remote-controllable from your digital mixer at front-of-house, so there's no need to run up to the stage to make adjustments. Monitor and select any one of the 16 inputs, eight bus outputs, or P16 output streams. The S16 makes it easy to do line checks immediately without needing to individually check every line in a faulty setup. In addition to remotely monitoring line signals, you can set individual input channel gain, or activate/deactivate 48V phantom power. You can also monitor each input individually via headphones, or get a clean listen to the master output.
Integration with Behringer P-16 Personal Monitoring System
The Behringer S16 allows you to connect effortlessly with the Behringer Powerplay P-16 system (sold separately). The Powerplay P16-M is a stereo personal monitor mixer that gives you and your fellow musicians complete control over up to 48 onstage or in-ear monitors! If you've got musicians that are finicky about getting their monitor levels exactly right, using the S16 digital snake in conjunction with a P16 system makes it possible for the FOH engineer to keep their attention on the overall mix, while the musicians control the monitor mixes. This makes monitor mixing easier than ever before!
Built To Endure The Road
The compact design of the S16 allows you to save space with a unit that fits into a standard 2U rack-mount unit. It is housed in an all-steel chassis and guaranteed to deliver its amazing functionality night after night, gig after gig.
- 16 MIDAS-designed, remote controllable mic preamps
- 8 analog XLR outputs
- 2 x AES50 network ports for CAT5 cascadable connections
- 7-segment LED metering displays
- Headphone output assignable to any input or output
- Connects via CAT5 to Behringer P-16 Personal Monitoring System
- 2 x ADAT outputs
- MIDI In/Out
- USB connector for firmware updates via PC
- "Planet Earth" switching power supply
- All-steel 2U rack-mount chassis
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
The S16 Digital Snake from Behringer takes the burden out of connecting your FOH (Front of House) console with the talent. Digital mixing has revolutionized so much of the live-entertainment production workflow. But one thing that hasn't changed is having to roll out that heavy, cumbersome old analog snake -- until now.
The S16 provides 16 fully programmable, remotely controllable high-end mic preamps plus 8 analog, balanced XLR returns at the stage end, and connects to the FOH via a single CAT5 cable without the need for a dedicated router. Klark Teknik, a longtime industry-leader in the development of high-end digital audio processing, provided the SuperMAC technology that made all of this possible and Behringer made it affordable.
When used as part of a complete X32 system, two S16 Stage Boxes can be cascaded via the built-in AES50 ports, providing connectivity for up to 32 mic/line inputs, 16 balanced outputs and the incredibly affordable Powerplay P-16 Personal Monitoring System, which can feed up to 48 individual monitor mixers. They also included two optical ADAT sockets for connecting channels 1-8 and 9-16 to outboard devices, a convenient USB port for system updates via your PC, plus MIDI I/O for lighting systems and sound module control.
Standalone Snake Mode
Although the S16 was initially designed for use with Behringer's flagship X32 digital console, any mixing board with AES50 networking capability can tap into the S16's powerful feature set. So if you happen to work on an analog mixing board occasionally, you could use two pairs of S16 and ADA8000 to form a high-performance, lightweight 16 x 16 digital snake, all on one CAT5 connection, keeping the preamp remote control functionality.
Remotely Controllable Preamps Make Setup a Breeze
Having to run back and forth to FOH, or trying to communicate with a tech on stage tracking down a bad cable or connection, can really put a crimp in the gig. S16's ingenious monitoring / head amp control section allows you to select any one of the 16 inputs, eight bus outputs or P16 output streams, for immediate line checks. In addition to signal metering at the stage box, you can set individual input channel Gain, apply 48 V phantom power, plus you have the option of listening directly to the input signal via headphones and much more. Once set, all configuration settings can be locked at the console for total system security.
Seamless Integration with P-16 Personal Monitoring System
The Ultranet port on the S16 lets you connect directly to the Behringer Powerplay P16 system, which provides an easy, affordable way to give your musicians and vocalists what they really want -- more of themselves! P16-M Personal Mixers let each performer take control of what they hear, allowing you to concentrate on providing the audience with the best possible listening experience. Fast and easy to set up, a basic system can be installed and configured in a matter of minutes and later be expanded to adapt to changing needs.
Klark Teknik AES50
KLARK TEKNIK SuperMAC (AES50-Compliant) technology gives the S16 its high-capacity digital interconnectivity with ultra-low latency operation, as well as superbly simple deployment and ease of use. Klark Teknik engineers worked hand-in-hand with Behringer product developers to ensure the S16 meets the requirements of live performance entertainers and their professional audio engineers.
- 48 bidirectional audio channels over CAT5 cable (48 kHz)
- 24 bidirectional audio channels over CAT5 cable (96 kHz)
- Single cable duplex interconnection for audio and sample clocks
- Ethernet physical layer audio data transmission
- High channel count and ultra-low deterministic latency
- Accurate phase-aligned clock distribution
- Comprehensive error detection
- and management
- Provision for redundant networking
- Minimal configuration n total ease of deployment and use
- Ethernet TCP/IP protocol-compatible auxiliary data channel
- Royalty-free implementations available as Xilinx FPGA cores
- OEM modules available from developer partners
As you can see, the S16 is an extremely versatile 16 x 8 digital stage box solution with lots of unique features, at a price that anyone can afford. Built tough to withstand the rigors of the road, S16 only takes up two rack spaces and connects to FOH with a single, inexpensive CAT5 cable. Now you can have the missing link between the stage and FOH at a fraction of the cost of competing systems, and backed with a comprehensive warranty program.
- 16 MIDAS-designed, fully programmable mic preamps for audiophile sound quality
- 8 analog, servo-balanced XLR outputs
- AES50 network ports featuring Klark Teknik's SuperMAC networking capability for ultra-low jitter and latency
- Up to 100 m networking capability via CAT-5e cable (not included)
- Dual AES50 ports for cascading S16 units--no merger or router required
- Precise LED metering plus 7-segment displays for signal control on stage
- Phones output assignable to any of the inputs/outputs for on-stage monitoring
- Connectivity for Behringer's P-16 Personal Monitoring System for In-Ear applications (not included)
- Dual ADAT outputs for use in splitter mode and stand-alone digital multicore applications
- MIDI In/Out for bi-directional communication between FOH console and on-stage MIDI devices
- USB connector for system updates via PC
- "Planet Earth" switching power supply for maximum flexibility (100 - 240 V), noise-free audio, superior transient response plus low power consumption for energy saving
- "Built like a tank" yet compact, all-steel 2U rack-mount chassis
- High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life
- Conceived and designed by Behringer Germany