Avantone's Answer to a Classic Tube Condenser MicrophoneLooks aren't everything. So when you're looking to enter the world of tube microphones, why consider the beautiful Avantone CV-12 Switchable Tube Condenser, with its elegant red finish and polished nickel trim? Well, despite its immediate resemblance to a particular (and legendary) Austrian microphone circa 1952, the Avantone CV-12 stands on its own as a variable-pattern tube microphone capable of delivering smooth, balanced, and warm sonic character.
Superstar Vocal Sound at an Affordable PriceAlthough the CV-12 pulls its solid-brass weight on acoustic guitar, mandolin, piano, or as a room microphone, this premium tube mic truly shines on vocalists. In fact, country superstar Taylor Swift used only the Avantone CV-12 to track vocals on her albums "Speak Now" and "Fearless," two of the top-selling albums of 2009 and 2010. And rock legend Robert Plant sang into the CV-12 on his 2010 release "Band of Joy." Certainly, world-class artists like Taylor Swift and Robert Plant wouldn't be bothered to use an ordinary $500 mic when they could choose literally anything. But as it turns out, the CV-12 is no ordinary condenser. Its transformer coupled tube circuitry is based on European vintage mics, and it has a subtle sonic character all its own, with a warm and present sound that's been found to thicken up thin vocals. But perhaps the most extraordinary aspect of the CV-12 is that it brings quality to the marketplace at such an affordable price.
Shock Mount, Cables, and Custom Power SupplyProfessional tube microphones always come packed in a box of goodies, and the Avantone CV-12 is no exception. Within the padded aluminum road case, you'll get an elegant padded wooden box for the mic itself, a custom retro shock mount with extra elastic bands, and a long, flexible 7-pin XLR cable. Of course, there's also the matching bright red power supply that lets an engineer silently switch to any of 9 pickup patterns. Try the CV-12 in omni mode at the center of a room, in bi-directional figure-8 to capture two vocalists, or in cardioid mode for a solo singer. Or try any of the six positions in-between, to dial in the right amount of "room" on your source.
Hand-selected Tube ElectronicsUp until early 2009, Avant Electronics included two spare tubes with every CV-12 microphone, allowing engineers to swap tubes to achieve different sounds. Of the three premium-grade Russian vacuum tubes (the 6072a, ECC81 and ECC83) that came with the mic, Avant and their customers found that the 6072a tube that now comes pre-installed in the CV-12 was the best-balanced and smoothest of the lot. Since then, this tube in this microphone has been studio-tested and proven its worth many times over as a top-shelf vocal microphone. Its beauty really is more than skin-deep.
Features:- 9-pattern switchable tube condenser
- Dual 32 mm gold sputtered thin Mylar capsules
- Metal toggle switches for -10 dB pad and 80 Hz roll-off
- Hand-selected Russian-made 6072a Tube
- Custom retro shock mount with spare elastic bands
- Avantone PS-12 multi-pattern power supply with cables
- Elegant padded genuine wooden mic box
- Padded aluminum storage/travel case
About Avantone ProBased in the USA, Avantone Pro is home to Avantone Audio and Avant Electronics' musical products. Avantone has quickly gained a devoted following for their high-quality microphones, and has recently expanded into producing studio reference monitors.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Avantone Pro products.
Tube-Type True Condenser Microphone
Dual-sided 32mm center-terminated gold-sputtered Mylar (6 micron)
- Polar Patterns:
9 patterns selectable at PS-12 power supply
- Frequency Response:
20Hz - 20kHz +/- 3dB
- Output Impedance:
<=250 Ohms / transformer isolated
- Maximum SPL:
136dB (0.5% THD @1000Hz) 146dB with pad engaged
- Equivalent noise level:
- S/N Ratio:
- Output Connector:
Male XLR 7 pin w/ special power supply & cables
- Included Accessories:
Padded Wooden Box, Shockmount, Metal road case
- Tube Type:
- High-Pass Switch:
80 Hz 6dB/octave Switch
- Attenuation Switch:
- Power Requirements:
dedicated PS-12 Power Supply w/ selectable 115/230 VAC capability
Polished Nickel trim / Metallic Cabernet Red Body
.8 kgs / 1.8 lbs
237mm x 46mm / 9.5" x 1.8"
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):
Product DescriptionThe versatile Avantone CV12 mic is able to produce professional results with a warm, pleasing sonic character. The Avantone Cabernet (C-series) mics from Avant Electronics are designed to offer true professional performance. They will meet or surpass the performance and specifications of much higher priced mics.
The Avantone CV12 is truly a gorgeous looking and sounding microphone. The design, character and performance can be compared directly to some of the very finest vintage tube vocal mics... but at a fraction of their cost!
Features- The rugged CV12 microphone body and capsule assembly are precision machined of Brass.
- Aesthetically, it features an elegant Cabernet Wine-Red finish, accented with polished nickel trim and grill.
- The transformer coupled tube circuitry has its origins in famous European vintage designs.
- The CV12 in its normal stock version uses high grade Metalized Polypropylene capacitors in the audio path. This represents Avantones commitment to quality as these normally are the type of components that are implemented by microphone modder/hot-rodders!
- Any studio can proudly offer the CV12 as a primary vocal mic... It exudes class visually as well as sonically.
- Manufactured using the finest materials yielding a very solid feel, superb structural integrity and rugged reliability.
- The included Custom Retro Shock Mount is superb in allowing a precise positioning of the mic while inhibiting the transfer of unwanted vibrations up into the mic. This isolation allows for superior professional results.
- 9-Pattern Tube Microphone with dual 32mm gold sputtered thin Mylar capsules
- -10 dB pad & 80 Hz LF metal roll off toggle switches
- Hand Selected Russian made 6072A Tube